Scrap, Sell or Part out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Kinda tech I think... Maybe chat...

My '96 80 was smacked really good a few weeks ago. Wish I had the room to keep it but it's time to move on.

Details... 1996 unlocked 80 with 205k miles. Interior is about what to expect for a 205k mile truck. Well maintained mechanically. All stock, no mods, no after-market stuff on it. No leaks, new Interstate battery. New tire on the spare... etc. All glass intact.

I have not crawled underneath to check for frame bendage but my guess it that it has.

It is drivable so should I sell it as is? Tear it apart and sell for parts?

What to ask for it?

Before pics:
Click on image to enlarge

Crash Pics:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/chit-chat-section/452772-well.html

How much is the insurance going to give you for it?

What will you replace it with?

How much is the buyback?

Parting a vehicle after buying it back can be lucrative, but it takes a lot of time and you usually end up with a shell that you have to somehow transport to the junkyard.

If you don't have the time or room to do a part out, I would take the insurance money and run.

Zip for insurance money. I had liability only. Fault "could not be determined".

Another discussion for another time...

Zip for insurance money. I had liability only. Fault "could not be determined".

Another discussion for another time...

Ouch.

If you are hurting for money then parting it is the way to go. If you just want to be rid of it, you can probably get 1000 or so from a boneyard, slightly more if you can find an individual who wants to buy it.

I would find a rig with a blown engine, swap your powertrain over and part the rest. This way you still have a vehicle and you can make back the money you spent on the new one by parting the old one.....

fwiw, i was looking at a lexus with front end damage and 244k. it was going for 1200. if it had lockers, i woulda been all over it.

it's a hard decision to part out because it's such a huge pita. people want you to pull everything off, box it, weigh it, get them a quote with shipping and then 3/4 of the time don't buy anything. plus you end up with parts all over the place.

fwiw, i was looking at a lexus with front end damage and 244k. it was going for 1200. if it had lockers, i woulda been all over it.

it's a hard decision to part out because it's such a huge pita. people want you to pull everything off, box it, weigh it, get them a quote with shipping and then 3/4 of the time don't buy anything. plus you end up with parts all over the place.

Thanks Ige....

Off to "for sale" land.

If you do decide to part it, I am interested in a few things like the key fobs etc.

On another note, here is some more unsolicited advice...

In 1993 I was involved in 2 major car accidents within 4 months of one another. The police figured that my seatbelt saved my life in accident #2.

After a year of physio therapy, I settled for around 20k in my pockets and the rest to the lawyers. 18 years later, I am in the 2nd half of my 30s and there is not a day where my back doesn't bother me to some degree even though I see a chiropractor weekly. In retrospect, the 20k which was a lot of loot to me when I was in university is nothing compared to getting a sore back if I pick up my 7 month old son the wrong way.

So my advice to you is not to settle with the insurance co until you KNOW you are ok.

Last edited:
Thanks Ige....

Off to "for sale" land.

Good call...parting out anything sucks a big fat d$#k! I'm about to part one out and I'm not at ALL looking forward to it. It'll be my second, and likely last part-out. I'll have specific and maybe not-so-nice things to start my part out thread to keep the bull**** factor for me as low as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom