Scout vs. FJ62 for P/S conversion on FJ40. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am planning to do a power steering conversion in the spring. I have in my posession both a Scout Saginaw box, and a FJ62 box. Which do you guys like? Which will require less bs to make work? What will I need for pitman and TREs?

I guess I should clarify, I have a 400 V8, so I will be using a Saginaw pump too.

Pics of either would be great.

Hodag

thanks for the links, I think the Scout box looks a little beefier, but I'd use either one.

Hodag

I just finished putting a Scout box on mine and it works great. But if I had it to do over again I'd probably put a regular ole Saginaw on it.

I used a pitman arm off of an old full size Cherokee. For steering arms I bought the 4x4 Labs hi steer kit and had Luke ream the pitman arm for me.

I am preparing to do the scout p/s on my 55. I have done the research and seen the links. What is the point of using the large pillow block (bearing) on the firewall? Is this step really necessary? It looks like some have it and some don't. I have to find the page again but someone reused the original u-joint at the firewall (something about flipping it around) and used a new joint from flaming river connected with a dd shaft which was welded and pinned. What are your thoughts?

no experiance with the 60 ps box, but when i did my conversion i used the scout box based on price, more power, and the only advantage the 60 box has is "better feel". i have driven a 60 with ps and think that mine feels just as good if not better (but i could be biased).
when i was researching mine i found that the pillow-block at the fire wall was for 40's because they have a strait colapsing shaft with a bushing. ie no u-jionts between firewall and box. fj55s already have that bearing because of the different box location.
in my coversion i just lengthened my stock shaft and welded the saginaw flange onto my u-jiont, works great IMHO. carl

I've got two 55s with scout boxes. If road feel isn't a concern, and you've got wide, fatty tires, go with a scout box. If you like to drive on road, (or just like to drive) I'd go 60.

890man- you only need one of the 55 ujoints, since there is already is a ujoint off the steering column.

i'm doing the conversion right now using a gm saginaw box out a chevelle. i've heard that the saginaw system can at times be overly responsive.

JJS said:
i've heard that the saginaw system can at times be overly responsive.

Is completely dependent on the ratio of the box. If you put a 2.5 turn lock-to-lock box in a truck running down the street, odds on you are going to think that the steering is over-responsive. A 3.75 turn or 4.25 turn box can be found in the wrecking yards or new at a parts house, and work just fine from stock to very large tires.

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks fng55 and ridgerunner. I knew there was a bearing in the 55 which is why I was confused. I cant remember how the 40 was set up. It has been many years since I had one. I do have a scout and have no problem with the lack of road feel but I do have to admit I have not driven a 60 so cant tell you what the difference would be. Thanks again guys.

hodag said:
I am planning to do a power steering conversion in the spring. I have in my posession both a Scout Saginaw box, and a FJ62 box. Which do you guys like? Which will require less bs to make work? What will I need for pitman and TREs?
Hodag
Since you've got the GM go Scout ... and sell me the 62 box for my Pig :D

Seriously, it's gonna be about the same amount of work either way - might as well keep all the fittings the same. IIRC you want a J**p J-10 pitman for that box ...

Tucker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom