Scout ps help...squeeling pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did my scout ps conversion this weekend and when I went to test it out the pump is making a lot of noise and I can see the pressure line vibrate so i figure the pump is struggling, but I'm not sure what the problem is.

I have a used scout box (PO said it came off a running truck but was laying around wrapped up for a while). I put a automatic trans cooler in the return line back to the pump. I got a saginaw pump (#206823) mounted in a custom bracket I made, I forgot the pulley numbers but I got the pulley locally with numbers from here on mud. My first thought is maybe I got a bum pump from the parts store, as it wouldn't be the first time I've gotten a broken part.

When I turn the wheel it makes a screeching sound, the belt is tight and the pulley is not stopping at all, the noise is coming from the pump. With the tires off the ground it's not as bad. Any thoughts on the problem? Bad pump? Something not hooked up right to put resistance on the system?
P5090284.JPG
P5090279.jpg
P5090280.JPG

Very far from expert here, but a coupla things come to mind:

- With axle on stands, make sure you've fully bled all the air the pump with 20-30 lock to lock turns.
- Pump looks like its a good bit from vertical, may want to try to get it as straight up as possible to help with filling and overflowing.
- Make sure there's sufficient Dextron II/III in there.
- Aside from maybe being a bad pump, that's my shot. When my pump starts to go bad, it starts squealing, so hard to say on your squealing. Good luck.

It looks like you are using a ford shock tower as well. Would you mind posting some pictures of your steering box install as well?

The squeling comes from the belt moving faster than the pulley on the pump hence one moves at a different rate. Bleed the system 2x to be safe. Then get back to us and we will go from there

How to bleed?

what is the best way to bleed the system, just running it lock to lock? I did that but only about 10 total times where I went to full lock so i'll do it again. If that is the proper method should I jack it up to take the stress off the system?

what is the best way to bleed the system, just running it lock to lock? I did that but only about 10 total times where I went to full lock so i'll do it again. If that is the proper method should I jack it up to take the stress off the system?

yes put it on jack stands and then go lock to lock

super boring, make sure that you check the levels every now and again cuz if it get low and lets air in gotta start all over, and remember you have a cooler so it may take longer.

i run a cool and it can hold a ton, air/fluid so take your time and over do if you know what i mean

change in fluid level normal?

I'll give that a shot when I get a chance.

One thing I noticed is that I checked the fluid with the engine off and it is full, when I start the engine the fluid level drops down and when the engine is shut off it rises back to the full level. Is this normal?

At first I thought it was just filling the system so i added a little so it wouldn't get low, but when i shut the truck off it back flowed the extra out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom