scout pitman arm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
got a scout pitman arm for my scout p/s box.
(DON'T LAUGH) is a 9" pitman arm gonna be to long for a p/s conversion on a 40.
do i need something shorter?

jim ;)

I used a pitman arm off of a 77 wagoneer. I think it's 7" long with a 1/2" drop, nice and flat for my soa set up :)

It will turn your 4.something box into a three turn box..

Pittman should be the same length ( and orientation) as the steering arms

That being said, I run one on my 40. it is not horrible, but I want a shorter one..

That long arm, if used, will give you a very fast steering. A little under 3 turns lock to lock. And it will reduce the effective power of the box (longer lever).

As mentioned, the wagoneer arm works pretty good. This is the old style full size wagoneer. It was also used on the full size jeep pickups and the full size cherokee.

Hit someone up for a copy of the Nov/Dec 05 Toyota Trails. In the Tech Exchange of tht issue, I address what I feel is the best solution to this, by shortening the arm AND giving it a dogleg to keep your steering centered when using a double knuckle arm. This approach also provides for absolutely minimal clearance from the frame. Which results in maximum clearance from the spring.

Mark...

The stock Scout pitman arm is too long for an FJ40. Get an arm that is around 6"-7" long. The longer the arm the sharper the cruiser will turn. Driving FJ40s with less than 3 turns is scary on the road. 4 turns is better.

Another reason I have a relatively flat pitman arm is because of how close the leaf springs are to it. I have to run a bump stop up front to keep the springs from hitting the pitman arm.

thanx for all the help guys.....

mark w, i'll dig up my TRAILS and review your article..thanx

jim

so for a 80-90% trail rig, is this 9"arm ok, or still to much?

80 to 90% it wil be fine..

Just be nice to your steering stops..

2badfjs said:
thanx for all the help guys.....

mark w, i'll dig up my TRAILS and review your article..thanx

jim

so for a 80-90% trail rig, is this 9"arm ok, or still to much?

The piece in the Trails is primarily addressing centering the steering. It doesn;t really ducsuss the arm except incidentally. But there is a shot that shows you how long it is and the bend. Note that I also flipped the end so that the tierod end is on top of the arm insted of the bottom.

IMHO the stock Scout arm is too long for a trail rig too. Mainly because of the extra length reducing the applied power of the steering by the sem amount as it increases the speed.

Mark...

Mark W said:
The piece in the Trails is primarily addressing centering the steering. It doesn;t really ducsuss the arm except incidentally. But there is a shot that shows you how long it is and the bend. Note that I also flipped the end so that the tierod end is on top of the arm insted of the bottom.

IMHO the stock Scout arm is too long for a trail rig too. Mainly because of the extra length reducing the applied power of the steering by the sem amount as it increases the speed.

Mark...

FYI for ya mark.....i'm sua on my 40 and dont plan on goin soa, does'nt that eliminate the clearance issue with the spring?

and i may have missed it in your tech exchange nov/dec issue :confused:

Yep, clearance between the pitman arm and the spring is not as sensitive in an SUA rig 'cuse the spring can never deflect as much in that configuration. In an SUA rig you also don't have the steering geometery concerns introduced when you use a double knuckle arm.

In your case, I'd say use one of the (unmodified) arms mentioned in this thread and call it good.

Mark...

No, the location of the spring on the axle makes no difference. Although, with a standard spring lift (you are at least 2.5" or more like 4" right?) you should gain some clearance between the arm and the spring.

Mace said:
No, the location of the spring on the axle makes no difference. Although, with a standard spring lift (you are at least 2.5" or more like 4" right?) you should gain some clearance between the arm and the spring.

i'm runnin 2.5" springs.
should be ok?
i can always change the arm later, if needed ;)

Yes, it does make a difference.

In an SOA configuration there is a lot more room to flex the spring up toward the frame. In an SUA configuration the presence of the axle limits how far the spring can bend backwards.

If you have a flexy SOA and a pitman arm with a bit of drop to it (and then put the tierod end on the bottom to boot)...You may find you steering acting as your bumpstop. :(

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom