Scottsdale Arizona to Houston What not to miss (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry, I've never done the Bluewater parkway. Are you coming through Austin?

Keep us posted. I'm sure Mauricio ( @Spallet ) and Alvaro ( @aljollano ) would be up for lunch or beers.

Most folks move FROM Houston TO Austin. Dave G is one. I know maybe 2 people that moved to Houston. Check out Port Arkansas or SPI. Similar to Puerto Penasco.

Most folks move FROM Houston TO Austin. Dave G is one. I know maybe 2 people that moved to Houston. Check out Port Arkansas or SPI. Similar to Puerto Penasco.

Cool I was thinking about dropping down out of San Antonio on to Hwy 35 towards Galveston and up to Houston?

@LandCruiserPhil If your coming back from Houston towards central Texas, I'd make a detour out to Lockhart and get some BBQ. Maybe visit the old missions of San Antonio (remember the Alamo!) and go to lunch at Mi Tierra (or another SA staple) before visiting the state capitol building (and free tour) in Austin.

I was fishing in Port Aransas/ Rockport about a month ago. They are still rebuilding lots since the hurricane, but many places have since reopened. its a quick trip from San Antonio on 37 to the coast. You can also take 183 from Austin to get there.

@LandCruiserPhil If your coming back from Houston towards central Texas, I'd make a detour out to Lockhart and get some BBQ. Maybe visit the old missions of San Antonio (remember the Alamo!) and go to lunch at Mi Tierra (or another SA staple) before visiting the state capitol building (and free tour) in Austin.

I was fishing in Port Aransas/ Rockport about a month ago. They are still rebuilding lots since the hurricane, but many places have since reopened. its a quick trip from San Antonio on 37 to the coast. You can also take 183 from Austin to get there.

Im in the air on my return to Scottsdale

Would be cool to meet up for beers if you make it out this way through Austin.

If you make it through Austin on a weekday other than Thursday, Barton springs pool is not to be missed.

Closed th for cleaning.

There are other awesome spring pools scattered throughout the hill country as well.

Other stuff on the way.. rock art at hueco tanks near El Paso, cloudcroft and white sands area..

I'm just between SA and Austin. Would love to connect with you guys if you get together for beers. And Phil, if you're open to doing a Mud ship I bought some front seats from Randy (@LCnAZ ) and I believe he's in Tuscon. I'd cover any additional cost if you were able to carry them this way. And I'll pay for your beer as well :)
Jim

Hit Bucees on IH10 in between San Antonio and Houston. Biggest gas station with cleanest restrooms. Luling, TX has great BBQ a few miles off the interstate at City Market or drive a few miles North and hit Lockhart. I recommend Kreutz's market. The Alamo is here in San Antonio along with the other Missions. As you figured it is not going to be a pretty drive. If you are looking at hotels anything in between Ft. Stockton and Sonora Texas will be pricey due to the oil field activity.

Make sure you get your Tex-Mex fix in near Austin or SA. In my opinion it gradually gets worse as go north. If you see lots of late 90’s Chevy work trucks in the parking lot your at the right place to have lunch.

My Texas town visit in order

San Antonio
Austin
Corpus Christi
Galveston
Houston

Looking for recommendation to get from place to place, the scenic way? Points of interest not to be missed along the way? Also looking forward to meeting local Cruisers in route.

Not sure on the exact dates but within the next couple weeks:rolleyes:

My Texas town visit in order

San Antonio
Austin
Corpus Christi
Galveston
Houston

Looking for recommendation to get from place to place, the scenic way? Points of interest not to be missed along the way? Also looking forward to meeting local Cruisers in route.

Not sure on the exact dates but within the next couple weeks:rolleyes:
I work in downtown San Antonio. Ill be following your trip. Let me know if you swing thru here at lunch time and Ill meet you at a good BBQ or Mexican place. If you really want to take the scenic route take US 90 South from Van Horn. It takes you through Marfa, Marathon and over the Pecos River bridge near Del Rio. It will dump you out in San Antonio and you can head North to Austin from there. When I say scenic it is not beautiful but very remote and off the Interstate.

I work in downtown San Antonio. Ill be following your trip. Let me know if you swing thru here at lunch time and Ill meet you at a good BBQ or Mexican place. If you really want to take the scenic route take US 90 South from Van Horn. It takes you through Marfa, Marathon and over the Pecos River bridge near Del Rio. It will dump you out in San Antonio and you can head North to Austin from there. When I say scenic it is not beautiful but very remote and off the Interstate.

Nice Ill check it out the off highway route for sure as I have spent enough time on freeways in my time.

P- weather permitting either coming or going, I would make a detour in the Davis Mountains and see the McDonald Observatory if that peaks your interest. It's UT's astronomy center. A must do IMO and reservations are recommended. It's 6 hours west of Austin, about 2.5 hours east of El Paso.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom