Scored Cylinders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I pulled the head on my '94 1FZ-FE due to blown HG at 176k miles. I was hoping for pretty cross hatch on my cylinder walls, but turns out they have some good scoring. I was hoping to do this on the cheap, just use it as a camping/fishing backroads truck. Should have known that's not possible in this world. Anyway, trying to decide what to do:

1. Pull the block, take to machine shop to deck, bore, replace pistons/rings, check bearings, etc. Just not looking forward to sourcing parts, as I've done a ton of research and still not sure where to source the parts from.

2. Find a used engine or short block near me. Anyone in Treasure Valley, Idaho have a source for one? Anywhere from Ontario, OR to Twin Falls, ID.

3. Find a reman engine, ATK, Powertrain, etc. Or a new short block.

4. Part out - It's a '94, no lockers, cloth. Thing is, it's in really good shape, both inside and out. These things are getting harder to find, and I don't like seeing them die before their time. Probably won't go this route.

I know this topic has been beat to death over the years. I have read most of the threads. Now it's my turn. I need advice from the experts, and those that have gone before me.
20201012_144827.jpg

Can you feel it with your finger nail? Was the engine using oil? Do you have compression numbers? For your intended purposes, you may just be able to run it. Or, search with patience for a good running used engine.

Last edited:
My 94 was the same on cylinder 2 I believe. The Machine shop had no issues boring, and sourcing parts. I went with a full rebuild because i had the cash and didn't want to go back in.. The longest wait was the bushing for the oil pump but they found everything with no issue. However I would have been comfortable replacing the gasket and running it as well.

Can you feel it with your finger nail? Was the engine using oil? Do you have compression numbers? For your intended purposes, you may just be able to run it. Or, search with patience for a good running used engine.
I cannot feel it with my finger nail. It was running fine, not using oil. I don't have compression numbers. Was not really expecting to find this, so a bit bummed. I could just run it, was thinking of that as an option as well. It's just that those long weekend trips can sometimes be 2-300 miles, with 1/2 off pavement. I consider these all good options, just trying to pick the best one.
Yeah, you forgot an option: Continue with what you planned on doing. The score marks weren't there until you saw them right? :hmm:

If it ran well, just re-gasket and carry on.
Yea, I like that option. I swear they were not there, and then I took the head off. I may just button it up, knowing there's a risk.
My 94 was the same on cylinder 2 I believe. The Machine shop had no issues boring, and sourcing parts. I went with a full rebuild because i had the cash and didn't want to go back in.. The longest wait was the bushing for the oil pump but they found everything with no issue. However I would have been comfortable replacing the gasket and running it as well.
It would be nice to pull it and do a refresh. Not 100% necessary, but I'm replacing other parts as well, water pump, radiator, hoses, etc. it would make sense to rebuild the bottom end.

Remember how she ran before the HG blew and know that those marks on the cylinder wall won’t compromise reliability. You might want to keep tabs on it through oil analysis. Black Stone Labs in Indiana is a popular place to have oil analyzed. The collection kits are free and last I knew a standard analysis costs $25.

I had a mark like that in one of my cylinders. Compression was very low in that cylinder. I opted to get it fixed and ended up getting a new OE short block.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom