Scored a set of Rock Warriors - question and pic request (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I lucked out and scored a set of 4 RWs from Craigslist in excellent condition last night. Now I need to find a 5th...

Re: tire options...

Most seem to agree that 285/70/17 is the way to go but I’m considering something slightly bigger. My tire preference is BFG KO2 AT - I’ve got a set now and love them as an all-around decent tire but they seem to run smaller than advertised.

I’m lifting only about 2” in front and slightly over 1” rear. I’m running a 1.5” spacer now but will probably size down to 1.25.

Can those of you with RWs post a front shot, side shot, and provide tire and lift size?

22F179DD-AF10-4011-828A-B4DEBB51D545.jpeg

awesome, congratulations!!! Yeah too bad they never come up as sets of 5. I had 3 extra's recently, i bought a 2nd set of 4 just to get the 1 spare. Sold them all off as singles on mud before the holiday though.

I have 285/70/17 KO2s on mine, 2" lift, no spares, no rubbing. I even had that size on them prior to lift and they still fit fine even on stock suspension. The size I'm going for next (when these wear out) which a lotta guys like is 285/75/17

I also just went to RW on KO2 285/70/17. I am running a 2" Dobinsons lift, with the progressive rate springs in the rear. Unloaded, this makes the rear about 2.5" and about 2" when I am loaded with 3rd row people, or trailering. I have a slight bit of rub in the front when reversing and turning wheel to right. I just need to trim the little tab that hangs down, but so far it's rare.

Here's a couple of photos for reference:
Lifted with the Stock Wheels/Tries
IMG_2540.jpg

Same as above, swapped to RW with 285/70/17
IMG_2563.jpg

During a recent trip:
IMG_2681.jpg

Those look pretty damned good, actually. The 285/70 looked a little small on some of the pics I’d found. I’ve also got the Dobinsons lift but plan to install a shorter rear spring to bring the rear down a bit and then run airbags for when I’m pulling the trailer - IF I need them. The trailer is only ~1700 lbs so probably won’t need them.

So the 285/70/17 fits under and in the spare tire slot?

So the 285/70/17 fits under and in the spare tire slot?

yes. Hangs a bit lower than stock but pulls right up there without issue.

some years of truck require a modification to the end of the lifting chain so it can fit through the hub hole on the wheel. This included my 2013. Not sure what year they got the smaller bracket that fits without modification

Great, thanks!

I lucked out and scored a set of 4 RWs from Craigslist in excellent condition last night. Now I need to find a 5th...

Re: tire options...

Most seem to agree that 285/70/17 is the way to go but I’m considering something slightly bigger. My tire preference is BFG KO2 AT - I’ve got a set now and love them as an all-around decent tire but they seem to run smaller than advertised.

I’m lifting only about 2” in front and slightly over 1” rear. I’m running a 1.5” spacer now but will probably size down to 1.25.

Can those of you with RWs post a front shot, side shot, and provide tire and lift size?

View attachment 2182592

Nice. I saw that set on FB marketplace for $500. Nice score.

awesome, congratulations!!! Yeah too bad they never come up as sets of 5. I had 3 extra's recently, i bought a 2nd set of 4 just to get the 1 spare. Sold them all off as singles on mud before the holiday though.

I have 285/70/17 KO2s on mine, 2" lift, no spares, no rubbing. I even had that size on them prior to lift and they still fit fine even on stock suspension. The size I'm going for next (when these wear out) which a lotta guys like is 285/75/17

Funny you say that, I just sold a set of 5 that were listed for like 4 months.

OP...congrats on the new rims. I think KOs look really good on the rims and are easy to find when a replacement is needed. I ran that setup with no lift and no spacers and they looked great. I think the 1.25" will get them right at or a little past your fender, which will look just as good as tucked.

Aren't a lot of people running 285/75/17 on RWs?!

I run 285/70r17 Falken Wildpeaks on RWs outside of the winter months. They are very close to rubbing with stock height. I would not run larger than what I have without a lift. They 285/75r17 is over an inch taller (32.71" vs. 33.83"). I think you'd have to make at least minor mods to make them work without rubbing. Although manufacturers vary about in actual height in same size tires.

I have 285/70-17 BFG's on my 200 with no lift and no scrubbing. I had to trim the spare tire lift and have the same size spare as the ones on the ground. I stumbled on an ugly single rim and a nice take off set that required a road trip to buy. I am happy with them

Aren't a lot of people running 285/75/17 on RWs?!

I am...and I’m happier with them than I’ve been with any other tire (and I’ve run a number of others)...

I would love to buy a 5th if anyone has an extra around

I am...and I’m happier with them than I’ve been with any other tire (and I’ve run a number of others)...

Are you running that size on BFG ATs? What are your specs as far as lift, spacers. Also - got any pics you can post?

Rubbing depends on the tire, as I understand it. KO/KO2 tend to be on the smaller side. My p285/70/17 toyos rub very slightly on the rear of the front fender liner in reverse full lock. This with stock suspension plus the 10mm OE strut spacer. 285/75 would require some trimming or shaping

Rubbing depends on the tire, as I understand it. KO/KO2 tend to be on the smaller side. My p285/70/17 toyos rub very slightly on the rear of the front fender liner in reverse full lock. This with stock suspension plus the 10mm OE strut spacer. 285/75 would require some trimming or shaping

Agreed - if my past experience with KO2s is any indication, the “real” size of the labeled 285/75R17 KO2 is equivalent to a Toyo 285/70R17.

Was hoping someone with real world experience with the KO2 285/75 paired with RWs could chime in.

Are you running that size on BFG ATs? What are your specs as far as lift, spacers. Also - got any pics you can post?

Nitto Ridge Grapplers.
I have run them with either .75” or 1.25” spacers, but they should be fine without.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom