Scion radio Plug-N-Play (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just wanted to show my finished project. I installed a Scion T1806 with color change. I purchased the head unit from ebay for $45 and an Ipod cable from a different vendor for $14. Both had free shipping.

I did not take pictures during the project but here's what I did.
1. Unplugged my amplifier behind the right dash speaker. Went in through the glove box.
2. Removed upper dash surounding radio
3. Removed my old radio/disc/cassett unit
4. Saw dust around the vents so I took that apart to clean it. Also created new axis (axel) for vent to turn on since old plastic one broke long ago.
5. Saw dust around instrument cluster so I took that apart to clean it. (requires steering wheel removal). The clear plastic in front of the gauges was hazy and scratched up so I used my headlight restoring kit from 3M on it and it turned out like brand new! I also replaced the main light bulbs since they were dim with age. Check all the other bulbs and found one warning light was burned out!
6. Trimed the dash. Lots of plastic removed but I just gritted my teeth and did it!
7. Removed all the buttons that come out from the upper dash and decided I would paint it camo-green.
8. Had to remove the lower dash to prep and paint it camo-green too so they would match.
9. Cut my brand new Ipod cord so that I could run it through a small hole in an unused dash knock-out.
10. Mended the Ipod cable by soldering all those teeny tiny wires back together. :doh:
11. Plugged the Ipod cable in the back of the Scion along with the two previously unused Toyota plugs. Bent the connector that was plugged into my old unit back and away.
12. Cut the blue antenna wire from the Toyota harness.
13. Replaced the gauge cluster, upper dash, all the switches and the lower dash.
14. Enjoy some fine 80's tunes!:clap:
IMG-20121018-00020.jpg

Looks remarkably clean! Can't imagine the time in that. Thanks for the details. I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get a new stereo at some point. Good to know you can actually get the dash back together.

It realy didn't take or I should say, didn't have to take that long. I received the Scion head unit very quickly and the Ipod cable very slowly (from Hong Kong) so I had some time between testing the function of the head unit and being able to put every thing back together. That's why I started taking everything I saw apart! It was amazing to see how much @#$% was in the air vents!

The thing I like most about this project is the camo-green paint on the dash. I have always thought the FJ80 dash was just too much mono-chrome black. I really like the green/black look.

Did you sand it and what brand/type of paint did you use? Just rattle canned it?

Sent from my DROID X2 using IH8MUD

Last edited:
I used Duplicolor rattle can in camo green. This is a very flat paint and it says that it will bond to plastic. As far as surface prep, I did not sand, I just cleaned the plastic very well and then went over it with acetone. Acetone is a good cleaner for plastics if you plan to paint. If you will not paint it, don't clean with acetone because it will discolor or haze up the plastic.

I used Duplicolor rattle can in camo green. This is a very flat paint and it says that it will bond to plastic. As far as surface prep, I did not sand, I just cleaned the plastic very well and then went over it with acetone. Acetone is a good cleaner for plastics if you plan to paint. If you will not paint it, don't clean with acetone because it will discolor or haze up the plastic.

Excellent! Thanks! I never even thought of painting the inside.

Sent from my DROID X2 using IH8MUD

@alex4640 its an old thread, but I had the 1805 model in my 4 runner, and am looking to put it in the 80. Wondering why you cut the blue antenna wire?

Phildoh. Sorry i did not respond sooner. I have not been on Mud for a long time. My kid's Subaru's have all needed head gaskets over the last year. (There are good things and bad things about owning several identical cars with similar mileage).

The reason I cut the blue antenna cord is that the Land Cruiser has a manual up/down switch for the antenna and the blue wire is to make the antenna go up/down with turning the head unit on/off.

@alex4640 thanks for the heads up! Going to tackle this in a few. You said you unplugged the amp behind the globe box, is it a fairly easy plug to find, and a logical type if amp wiring plug? I haven't dug into the dash in my 80 much, but I know the glove box folds down easy, is it accessible via that route? And where did you cut the blue wire, I'm guessing near the connector? (Close, but leaving room to reattach it at a later date if need be? Thanks for the info! And yeah, I know all about having two of the same ride, and one is in good shape, the other beat to heck!
Thanks again!

@alex4640 thanks for the heads up! Going to tackle this in a few. You said you unplugged the amp behind the globe box, is it a fairly easy plug to find, and a logical type if amp wiring plug? I haven't dug into the dash in my 80 much, but I know the glove box folds down easy, is it accessible via that route? And where did you cut the blue wire, I'm guessing near the connector? (Close, but leaving room to reattach it at a later date if need be? Thanks for the info! And yeah, I know all about having two of the same ride, and one is in good shape, the other beat to heck!
Thanks again!

Dropping the glove box exposes much of the workings behind the dash. You have to remove the door, not just open it. The amp wire is obvious and easy to access. I don't remember where I cut the blue wire, but since your plan looks good, I'll say that's how I did it.

By the way, I have three (3) Subaru Foresters - one for each kid, and I have to keep them all in tip top shape since my kids are driving them. I typically do the same work on each one within 14 months. Two kids have now graduated college so I'm hoping to pass a couple off soon.
( I must say, the Subaru Forester Owners Forum is helpful but not anywhere near the level of this site for Toyota )

just putting this up, i have the same scion model but my factory harness doesn't fit on the scion outlet. as per above you used an unused factory plug harness but i couldn't find that on my 94 LC. Do i need to buy a harness? or I'm i looking at the wrong spot where the factory harness is? thanks.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1454342831.654038.jpg
this is the only plug I'm talkin in case someone knows of this install , thanks .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom