Scion HU problems with 94 FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I installed a new SCION MP3 HU this weekend in my cruiser and it's having problems.

I think I may have even fried it using the stock connectors.

I was told that I have to disconnect the factory amplifier inside the car or use the OTHER connectors.

I remember, there were 3 connectors.

Stupidly, 2 were able to fit side by side next to each other. So I naturally put them in.

Well, the music was on for about a good 5 minutes before it would not come on anymore. The back of the deck was hot as hell also.

Now today, it wont power on---

I think I must have fried it. So my question is , what should I really do?

THe stock SCION HU has a built-in AMP and so should I have just plugged in one of the connectors?

I would go to Toyota and get a pin out on both the factory unit and the Scion, and compare plugs. Both radios have amps in them. If the Scion has significantly more power than stock it could damage the amp, but I doubt it would hurt the radio. If it DID work correctly, it sounds like a problem in either or both, the dimmer light wire and the power antenna wire. These have been moved around in harnesses before and can allow the radio to play for a short time.
Gary

Negative on the mushroom and spark.

I dont think I ever saw a Radio/Stereo Fuse in the fuse box.

Is there?

dlee300z said:
Negative on the mushroom and spark.

I dont think I ever saw a Radio/Stereo Fuse in the fuse box.

Is there?

Its there. There should be one on the back of your unit itself too. Ive had em blow before, and it "should" blow before your unit does. Usually they are those itty bitty 10's.

Found the dead DOME fuse---replaced it.

SO heres the dilemma.

Right now I have the two radio connectors plugged in.
I know for sure that I have a stock amplifier because when I pulled my old STOCK Deck out , it only had the 10pin connection in it and I dont think the STOCK DECK has an amp built in.

The other 6 pin was not plugged into anything.

With the SCION HU, it has a connection in the back--

42_1.JPG

Its the ones on the left side. Both the 10 and 6 go in there.

i know that with my 2002 4runner Deck going into an 89 runner.. Using the Photo Above, the Far right Connectors (Small pins) should go to a Factory external Amp.. and the Connections on the Left would hook straight up to the Power, Speakers, ECT..

If you are using the Facory External Amp the wires comming out of that will be the same as the ones on the left hand side of the above photo...

Clear as mud??

Trevor

Ok Took some Quick photos.. Im pretty sure that toyota has not changed their Radio Plugs From 88 to now, but i could be wrong, especialy with the Scion.. but assuming its the same..

The first photo is the other side of the external amp, this is my Factory 89 Plug going into the Amp.. (no wire changes needed).. THe empty plug to the right of it would be for Rear speakers, Antenna Wires ect.. (i dont have that crap on my runner)

The second photo is one side of the External amp, these wires lead to the deck, and plug into the jack with mini connectors..

Hope this helps.. :grinpimp:

Last edited:
Thanks for the INFO--

well, another problem has risen.

When I turn on the headlights, it makes a nasty loud WHINING NOISE coming from the speakers.

SOunds like a bad ground but I only used those freaken stock connectors.

Which leads me to believe that I should only use one of the connectors.

Will start digging this weekend into the dash again.

On a side note=has anyone ever taken apart the rear heater control plug in the back? I can not get that thing off for the life of me.

I have not disconnected the amp yet.

Whats the easiest way to disconnect it?

I'm assuming just take out the glove box and then its right there for you to unplug?

DL

Waggoner5 said:
I would go to Toyota and get a pin out on both the factory unit and the Scion, and compare plugs. Both radios have amps in them. If the Scion has significantly more power than stock it could damage the amp, but I doubt it would hurt the radio. If it DID work correctly, it sounds like a problem in either or both, the dimmer light wire and the power antenna wire. These have been moved around in harnesses before and can allow the radio to play for a short time.
Gary
Again

**UPDATE**

It works now.
I disconnected the FACTORY AMP behind the glove box---

First I removed the two screws underneath the glove compartment, slid it out and the amp was on the right side,. Took out both connectors to it and VOILA!!

Works like a charm.

So what I've learned in these couple of days.

My 1994 Cruiser has a Factory amp and when connecting it to a SCION HU, which has its own amp, you must disconnect the factory amp , if not, both amps will conflict.

dlee300z said:
**UPDATE**

It works now.
I disconnected the FACTORY AMP behind the glove box---

First I removed the two screws underneath the glove compartment, slid it out and the amp was on the right side,. Took out both connectors to it and VOILA!!

Works like a charm.

So what I've learned in these couple of days.

My 1994 Cruiser has a Factory amp and when connecting it to a SCION HU, which has its own amp, you must disconnect the factory amp , if not, both amps will conflict.

Does your rear most speakers work? The ones in the cargo area ? When i put in my 2005 Camry Navi I lost those 3 (the 2 in the headliner and the sub in the right side panel.)
I hooked it up like you have done yours with the stock plugs and the factory amp unplugged .

I tested the fader and it sounds like its working fine.

I'll double check when I get home.

Wakey wakey!

I know this thread is old, but dlee300z, can you post any pics of the scion in your 94? I've got a Scion I want to install in my 94 and I've got the dash all torn apart and I'm trying to put it back together and it just seems darn near impossible even with trimming...

Or anyone else got pics of install into a 93 or 94? (Or a 91-92 if those are the same dash)

-Ferg-

Ferg,

Post some pics of yours too. I might be installing the same set up here soon myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom