School me (please) on buying new Tacoma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update time:
I know it hasn't been quite a year yet, and the miles aren't that high, but, hoping this might help others, especially since it's end of model year time.

Purchase date, 12/11/21. Miles to date- just over 6500.
Almost every mile has been loaded down, either road trips, hardware store runs, camping trips, etc. Keep in mind it's lifted, so some of my comments may not be relevant to a factory rig.

It has been driven in rain, snow, mud, sand, and, plenty of pavement. It has seen minimal 4x4 time, mostly snow, a little for mud, in OR.

Road performance: it has plenty of power, even with the lift and bigger tires. Especially compared to my 1st gen Taco. Handling is okay- the lift and tires cause it to feel a bit loose, especially with multiple potholes, or if the road has ruts from heavy truck traffic (plenty of both around here). It does great with all precipitation I've had it in- a foot of Sierra Nevada snow was a breeze.

Towing: I've only had about 2 tons on a utility trailer, but it handled it well. The rear sagged quite a bit under the load, but no driveability issues.

Creature comforts: with two young kids, the Mrs. and I, the cab was cozy. However, the seats are comfy, but on the stiff side for long road trips. Not terrible, but you're ready to be done, after 12 hrs driving. Cab size is perfect, regarding leg room, but also, ease of being able to reach back and pass/grab stuff from the kids. We've had adults in the back seat with reasonable comfort. With 2 kids car seats, the back is narrow; so, unfortunately, not wide enough for even a small-hipped adult to sit between. But, it's plenty of space to stack all the road trip items the kiddos need.

Cons: the automatic transmission is a little concerning. On steeper hills, or when towing, it wants to roll back. Living in hill country, I usually have to feather the gas to keep it from rolling back. I feel like I read about this somewhere, and not sure if it's a design issue, or something to be cognisant about with a future issue.

Rear suspension leaves a lot to be desired (granted it's lifted, so, probably needs upgrading). If I put more than a couple hundred pounds in it, it looks like those rigs from the south, where the front is lifted but not the rear. Douchy, in my mind.

I haven't modified it yet. Planning on a camper shell and a ladder rack, with wheel-well tool boxes. Have been putting all until I sort out the rear suspension, since I feel the added weight will make it sag.

Does anyone have any suggestions for rear suspension for a 3" lifted rig, that is at factory specs or higher, for hauling? I haven't researched yet. Seeking feedback and resolutions from others who may have the same issue.

Air bags might be your best bet. Heavier springs for the load will make for a rough ride empty. You can get lift spacers for the bags on lifted trucks.

Not apples to apples but, I had a 2006 4 door long bed Tacoma 4x4 that would sag even when my Golden retrievers were in the back. Originally it had a hard fiberglass tonneau cover and I swapped it for a shell so some extra weight there as well.

The air bags solved all problems load related while keeping the stock ride empty. I never had any trouble with them. I have air bags on my current Ram 2500 and quite a few friends had me install them on their trucks after seeing how well they work.

I have had both the Firestone and Air Lift brands and I had zero problems with either. If I were to buy again, I would get whichever had the best price.

Just my 2 cents. Enjoy that beautiful truck.

Update time:
I know it hasn't been quite a year yet, and the miles aren't that high, but, hoping this might help others, especially since it's end of model year time.

Purchase date, 12/11/21. Miles to date- just over 6500.
Almost every mile has been loaded down, either road trips, hardware store runs, camping trips, etc. Keep in mind it's lifted, so some of my comments may not be relevant to a factory rig.

<snip>

This is a really good review. Beautiful truck BTW. You don't drive much at all at only 6.5k since Dec '21!

I used sumo springs in my 2019. Otherwise any tongue weight or anything over 300-400lbs in the bed would ride the bump stops.

No experience with the AT. Mine towed surprisingly well with the 4.30 rear and MT, but I had a tough time getting from 1st to 2nd on steep hills while towing with the motor's torque band. Reverse was pretty tall and I would just put it in 4lo for any maneuvering.

I liked it a lot, really easy to get around and great mileage if I milked it. 25mpg was not uncommon on my 55 mile commute.

32k miles when I let it go.

thNn946.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom