1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Max.Powerzz, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Max.Powerzz

Max.Powerzz Cruisers and Art!

We've been looking to buy a place in DC but the prices are killing us. You can easily pay $350,000 for a two room condo, and a free-standing home will set you back at least $600,000 (for a small one...if you're lucky).

We were looking at real estate in Pittsburgh and you can buy auction homes for $1,000 (no, that's not a typo, one thousand bucks). I'm sure those are in crack-head neighborhoods and you probably have to fix them up, but there's tons of stuff for under $100,000.

Is Pittsburgh a decent place to live? PA is beautiful but I've never been through Pittsburgh, is it scary or is it okay? How would you say it compares to DC?

2. cary

cary

Here is my take on Pittsburgh, having been there 5-6 times (my wife has family there), and to DC once.

Pittsburgh is experiencing a revival after years of decline as the steel industry collapsed. Check out the Shadyside neighborhood to see this, as well as the North Shore, art area and the South Shore. Is it DC, no, little is going to compare outside of San Francisco, LA, or NY to the vast amount of urban culture that DC offers. That said, I could think of many worse places to live than Pittsburg. The number of colleges in the Oakland Area (Pitt, Dusquane, Carnagie-Mellon), and Shindley park definetely give it a bit of a Georgetown feel, but not as nice.

3. greytandy

greytandy

Media:
    Albums:
    Been living in DC for over 20 years. I'd move in a heartbeat if my job wasn't here. Parents are from Pittsburgh so I've been there many times. Pittsburgh by far is the nicer town. It's so much easier to get where you want to go. The only downside is the weather.

4. cruiserman

cruiserman

The other downside is trying to get around town. Check out the traffic before you move. It's almost as liberal as Philadelphia if that matters to you.

5. Max.Powerzz

Max.Powerzz Cruisers and Art!

Is it just colder up there? I definitely wouldn't mind losing some of this DC humidity. Anybody know anything about the Oakland neighborhood in Pittsburgh?

Thanks for all the responses!

6. shelfboy1

shelfboy1

live in erie go to ballgames and carnegie science musem not to bad always warmer there than erie even in winter they dont get a lot of snow good luck

7. cary

cary

Oakland is next to Shadyside and right next to Pitt. It varies from really nice (My wife's aunt lives in a very nice 3000 square foot NY style condo in Oakland) to semi-crummy. So in short, it depends on exactly where in oakland.

8. bandy rooster

bandy rooster

If you want a real nice town in pennsylvania, go to Lewisburg PA... I've lived there for a couple years before i moved to saint augustine florida but the town is historic and a great place to live. You could find a nice house for below 100-150 range. its in central PA not to far from pittsburgh although i've only been there a couple of times i didn't have much of a feel for it (cough s***ty)

9. Zimm

Zimm

10. Zimm

Zimm

its 4 hours from pgh. move to lewisburg when you are ready to die, or if you have a taste for stupid, easy fat women that deperately need one of the few men didnt leave for college or greener pastures, to marry them. i think the whole town is dependant on a yarn plant. (i had college buddy that was a manager there for a while. at the first job offer he took off for cleveland like it was a jailbreak. he was an avid flyfisher and MARRIED!)

if you want central pa, and you have a pulse, your only real choice is the State College area.

i know west of the susquehanna river pretty good. the eastern side, not at all. i get the impression there is better wheeling in the east. but im not a big wheeler, so youll have to go elsewhere for opinions on that.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">