1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

school me on liver transplants

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by semlin, Aug 17, 2006.

1. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    if anyone can tell me the drill on getting a liver transplant in the us (or any other country for that matter) for out of country patients I'd be grateful. PM if you like. it's for a family member and the need is becoming acute while the canadian system is telling him there is a very good chance he won't make it through the waiting period.

2. wob

wob

Best bet is India. You can buy them off the black market there. Yes, some people think it is morally corrupt, but I would consider it if there were no other alternative and time was a factor. Well, it would also depend on why a liver was needed. If it was from drinking or drugs, maybe not.

3. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    india has cut way back on that. china is where you get your immoral livers these days. they execute prisoners to order to match your liver requirements. I am trying to figure out an alternative to that very nasty prospect.

4. DSRTRDR

DSRTRDR I can mangle anything ... SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I would contact a liver transplant surgeon - PM me if you need a name

5. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    University of Pittsburg, Children's Hospital (adult section). Where my one patient had his, nearly 20 years ago. I would think you'd want to have the doctor send the info to the University, where they can review it and get him on the list.

6. 45Kevin

45Kevin

My sister-in law in Indonesia has had several minor surgeries in Thai hospitals. The service and quality of care is equal to any "western hospital" and is staffed by "western doctors" and caters specifically to "western patients". I don't know about getting the organ any quicker but it is a cheaper alternative to the US system. Apparently it is becoming quite common for Canadians that don't want to wait in the line-up to go there. Good luck.

7. AATLAS1X

AATLAS1X

That opens alot of great ideas for me........................Could you imagine that in the US. Texas is first I bet.........:D

8. Stone

Stone Moderator

Semlin:

Working in a dialysis unit, I get to see first hand what the wait is like for many people to receive transplants. I wish you and your family the best and hope you folks find a way.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">