School me on FJ Cruisers please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's hard to say what they tested, because the one's that out there won't work on the Dual VVT-i engine which is the newer one form 2010 up. Even the FJ that Toyota had at the Summit when they were talking about the supercharger being released for the newer models was an older model with the old engine. I know if or when they ever do make one there are a ton of people that want one.

For myself a supercharger sounds nice and might be, but I never really saw a reason to get one myself for my needs. I don't tow and my FJ did everything I needed or wanted it to do. I went with suspension, bumpers, skids, a winch and stuff like that which was used on the trails.

I've got a Tundra and that V8 and the extra power is pretty awesome, but I still drive the speed limit, use cruise control, run the same roads I always have, and don't really do anything different that needs the power. I'm looking at a small trailer so then it will be nice to have. Hell if I had the extra $7000 I could put the supercharger on the Tundra and boost the specs up to like 550hp/550trq, but I really don't have a need for it. I'm doing the things that I'll use or need like storage, a console safe, etc. and I'd rather have the bigger replacement fuel tank. Stuff that costs a lot less alone and gives something that I'll use. If I get everything else done and then the money is burning a hole in my pocket them maybe I'd buy one for fun, but probably not.

I love mine! A lot of people hate on the little details but for me the only problems I foresee for some people is if they have kids, having car seats in the rear seat can be difficult. Also if you don't like the blind spots, get the little add-on mirrors they sell at local auto stores that have adhesive pads and stick them in the mirror corner and then you can see the blind spots! Also some hate on gas mileage, but if you're buying an FJ you aren't gonna drive it for gas mileage. The less you mod it (lift, bumpers, etc.) the more enjoyable it is as a daily driver. But for me it is a weekend toy as well as my DD so I compromise with not going crazy on mods (long-travel, 35s, etc.) Also shoot for getting something newer than 2009 since old FJs have weaker 8" diffs (more prone to busting gears as opposed to the newer 8.2" ones), had fender cracks/budging problems (don't cause a lot of issues unless you are Baja running the thing), and the newer 2010+ FJs have a slightly better engine (better gas mileage and more power/torque). And if you get a 2013 or 2014 you can get the 4x4 model not only with the RR DIFF LOCK and A-TRAC but also the CRAWL control!

Just a few of my thoughts.

I've been searching since I asked this. Thank you again for all the feedback. I found a 2010 that I might check out when I get in. Of course this is coming from a guy with a fleet of vehicles....so we shall see.

Bringing this back from the dead.

Update: Purchased a 2008 Tundra. Love it, went through it front to back, have it 100%, but now I need something smaller for the city. It's almost impossible to park in the underground garages.

Long story short I want to stay Toyota and I've always wanted an FJ cruiser.

I found one locally. What do you all think? He's asking $15,900 .

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser TRD Special Edition Black

I went a drove it. It seemed solid. It had a lot more power than the other two I test drove.

Negatives:

pings and dings (the photos look way better than it really is, but it's not bad);

the corners of the valve cover looked "wet", but weren't leaking;

chip in the windshield;

tires look older, less than half life;

it's a Virgina car, so it's seen some light winters (no where near as clean a a souther car, but zero rust other than a little surface frame seam rust);

I can get one with similar mileage in Georgia for $13-15k, but this on is TRD package and solid black.

I need to run a carfax, but wanted to check first to see what you guys thought.

Would I be better off to get a one owner, regular package one?

White roof is much cooler in the summer heat. I wouldn't spend extra to get an all black vehicle.

Aside from the "trd package" Is that a decent price for what it is? 125k, 2 owners, etc.? I don't mind traveling to get a deal, but locally everything I have looked at has been thrashed.

White roof is much cooler in the summer heat. I wouldn't spend extra to get an all black vehicle.

Also, there are no other advantages to that package other than a black roof???

Also I got the carfax and it has a pretty solid history

They came with the black roof, a gray version of the TRD 16" 6 spoke wheels, TRD all weather floor mats all around, shift knobs on the manual along with the Quick shift, badges and decals, all options such as the pod on the dash and the TRD cat back exhaust. It had BFG KO tires and it was the first FJ to allow the rear locker and ATRAC to be used together and it had the TRD tuned Bilstein shocks. Mostly just appearance stuff.

Yep, what he said. Basically it was all the factory options/packages bolted onto a all black truck.

I ended up picking up a super clean 2007 FJ Cruiser. 168k. Automatic. A-Trac, Rear Diff Lock, etc.

Great service history and looks like it has never seen a winter or a dirt road. Guy said he paid $1700 for the newer wheels and new tires. Somehow the dealer convinced him he needed to change his timing chain?? He paid close to $4k for that and realized later it wasn't even needed and was pretty upset....

Anyway, she seems solid. Great acceleration, smooth at 75 mph, ice cold a/c. Nothing I can complain about so far.

IMG_2623.jpg
IMG_2622.jpg

2014 FJ.jpg
Great choice! You'll love it.

I'm on my 3rd FJ. 2007 Yellow traded in for a 2012 Iceberg. Lost the 2012 in a flood in August 2016. 41"+ of rain in < 3 days. Used the insurance payoff, love State Farm. They paid me $32,200 for a 2012 with 62k miles. I paid $33,300 for it new.

Used that money to buy a 2014 Army Green with 60k miles.

Somehow the dealer convinced him he needed to change his timing chain?? He paid close to $4k for that and realized later it wasn't even needed and was pretty upset....

That's a huge job on these motors with lots of parts needed. Some would argue that it is necessary - but balk at the cost. All in all a good thing for you. Nice score.

View attachment 1748401 Great choice! You'll love it.

I'm on my 3rd FJ. 2007 Yellow traded in for a 2012 Iceberg. Lost the 2012 in a flood in August 2016. 41"+ of rain in < 3 days. Used the insurance payoff, love State Farm. They paid me $32,200 for a 2012 with 62k miles. I paid $33,300 for it new.

Used that money to buy a 2014 Army Green with 60k miles.

Nice color

That's a huge job on these motors with lots of parts needed. Some would argue that it is necessary - but balk at the cost. All in all a good thing for you. Nice score.

I’m not complaining! Like you said, better for me. You think a timing chain is in need of replacement at 150k miles?

People will run a Toyota chain forever - I think it's rare they ever fail completely (well 22R maybe.) But even with an automatic tensioner as they wear your valve timing gets to be off. For me 150K miles would be the limit. But my Tacoma is only at 100K and my FJ Cruiser is only 62K so I've got awhile.

As a bonus your valve clearance should be set for awhile too. The book says every 60K but I'm putting it off as even pulling 4 cams on this motor is a job in itself.

People will run a Toyota chain forever - I think it's rare they ever fail completely (well 22R maybe.) But even with an automatic tensioner as they wear your valve timing gets to be off. For me 150K miles would be the limit. But my Tacoma is only at 100K and my FJ Cruiser is only 62K so I've got awhile.

As a bonus your valve clearance should be set for awhile too. The book says every 60K but I'm putting it off as even pulling 4 cams on this motor is a job in itself.

I never would have thought to do a timing chain till well into the high 200's

Good to know, thanks!

So, correct me if I am wrong, but ATRAC is simply a switch. I watched a youtube video where I guy removes the panel and adds a $55 switch, then has ATRAC. Is that a joke?

If you have the locker, but not the ATRAC then yes, you can just add the switch as everything else is in the "computer " and ready to go. When I bought my FJ it was a pretty basic model and I had read about the switch and bought one. A couple of days later after I bought it it took me less than a minute to put it in and I then had ATRAC. A lot cheaper than paying the $2500 for the package it was a part of.

There are also some other switches that are pre-wired too like the wiring for roof lights and fog lights if I remember right. You add lights and a switch and you're good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom