1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on ARB air lockers

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by BlueBoxFJ60, Aug 18, 2006.

1. BlueBoxFJ60

BlueBoxFJ60

Just bought a new cruiser. It has front and rear ARB air lockers. I have never had a vwhicle with lockers and only have a small understanding of how they work and no idea when to use them when to use them.

thanks

kyle

2. rusty_tlc

rusty_tlc Dain Bramaged Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The rear can be engaged anytime you are on a loose surface. Try not to engage the front unless you need to. The steering gets tough with a solid front axle.

Maybe the best thing is to just get on a dirt road and try them out to see what happens. Don't be afraid of them nothing bad will happen.

If you can find a real steep hill on a dirt road try it first with no lockers. Then with rear only, then with both. This should give you a good idea of what to expect.

Any idea how old they are? You may need to check out the air lines, they tend to get brittle over the years. Mine are ten years old and I have had one break.
    Also look around the axle breather cap, if there is fresh oil around it after you use the locker the internal O-ring may be bad. Again, mine lasted ten years before They needed to be replaced.

In general I have been very happy with mine. IMHO you are lucky you got a rig with them already installed.

3. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    It's nice to buy a rig that's already equipped. Ask Alvaro about air line placement. :doh: It's unfair that it happened to such a nice guy.... ;)

4. projektdotnet

projektdotnet

ARB seems to be the locker of choice....because it rules...i wish i had the kinda $$$ to dump into a locker

5. BlueBoxFJ60

BlueBoxFJ60

i know lockers give you more traction but how exactly does that happen?

6. SteveO

SteveO

It physically locks both wheels on that axle so they both turn at the same rate compared with an open diff where the wheel with least resistance turns. I have ARB's front and rear and when people ask how much difference it makes the best way to describe it is the increase in traction from 2-4wd is impressive. You get that same increase again when you engage both lockers. I went from open open to dual ARB's and couldn't believe the increase.

Just a tip though, you will probably rarely use the front and when you do it will just be for a minute here and there because it's incredibly hard to steer on a grippy surface with the front engaged. Last tip: Keep your fingers on the outside of the wheel with the front locker on. You'll see. ;) .....Steve

7. PortFJ62

PortFJ62

Im not the expert, nor do I have lockers but my understanding is that normal 4wheel drive ends up directing more power to the wheel with least resistance or the wheel thats spinning to compensate for loss of traction. So you end up going nowhere, so arb lockers distribute equal power to both tires for optimal traction. Thats my rookie response.

8. PortFJ62

PortFJ62

Damnt steve o I just spent some quality time giving that response and you swept it out from under me. Dont you have anything better to do on a Fri night that being on chat:flipoff2:

9. SteveO

SteveO

Nope, my wifes out of town and my girls are sleeping. I'm just putting in time until my youngest wakes up to eat. Sorry to steal your response. :D

10. PortFJ62

PortFJ62

Thats ok. Right now Im so tired I feel like a zombie but I cant log off.

11. reffug

reffug

Go check out the FAQ in 80's tech.......................

Its very well done and put together by two dudes who actually know what is going on.......

12. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
  13. SteveO

SteveO

What are you saying?:flipoff2:

14. BlueBoxFJ60

BlueBoxFJ60

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">