School is out, the fun begins. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

klinetime574

TLCA #27404
SILVER Star
Threads
Started a few weeks ago with a rebuild in mind. Today was the last day of school so whats a better way to kick off the summer than this.

IMG_1836.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg

IMG_1837.jpg

Got all the goodies during Specters sale.

Parts1.jpg

Parts2.jpg

Parts3.jpg

Parts4.jpg

Parts6.jpg

I'm pretty excited about this, I have a desmog planned with headers too, gonna rebuild the carb. And now with no more school I can work on it whenever I want.

How do I get the transmission/ transfer detached from the engine? I found and unscrewed 4 bolts, two on the top and two on the side. But the thing still did not want to budge.

Thanks Guys

Awesome. My kinda of summer. What made you decide to pull the engine?

There are four bolts at-least that attach the transmission to the bell housing. Might need a jack to back the trans. and tc out together.

Is that a 12th man towel on your steering wheel? Gig'em!
I may have to take a road trip to check on your progress this summer.
Nice inclinometer, BTW. What's below it?

The engine was leaking, everything. Oil, power steering, transmission fluid, transfercase fluid haha. It was just time. And it had an exhaust leak somewhere.

Yeah my dad designed the house, and he likes to keep things so he put in a lot of cabinets. And the cruiser is sitting in the 2 car bay so there is plenty of room :D

12th man for sure. you are welcome to check it out, its not much more than a lot of dirt and metal but you are welcome. Below the inclineometer is a power inverter. to plug in a car TV, we used to take this thing to michigan. haha

Edit: better picture of power inverter, before the inclineometer haha. I need an updated version

Dash.jpg

I did this last summer. It was a big job, but a lot of fun. Have fun with it!!

if you are going to replace all the seals in the motor and transmission take the transfer case off first it makes taking the transmission off a lot easier. good luck with it.

if you are going to replace all the seals in the motor and transmission take the transfer case off first it makes taking the transmission off a lot easier. good luck with it.

Yes I will be replacing all the gaskets and seals. Thanks for the input!

" . . . my dad designed the house, and he likes to keep things so he put in a lot of cabinets. And the cruiser is sitting in the 2 car bay so there is plenty of room."

I can just hear him when he came home from work: "Son, I hope you're gonna be able to get this thing back together!"

:D

Now would be a great time to degrease that motor and get it painted up nice!

he knows we can do it. my brother rebuilt his entire 240sx so he has faith in us. :D

Got some work done. Just got back from the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas, good vacation. Anyway I learned that the Transmission and Transfercase are really heavy :D

IMG_2012.jpg

IMG_2013.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

I still dont know how to get that bell-housing off.

Any tips fellas?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Wow!! I just got done with my desmog and headers, but I didn't pull out my engine to do it!! Good luck!!

Did you remove the flywheel and clutch? I believe you have to take them off to get to the remaining bolts that hold on the bellhouse.

yup u have to remove the flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch disk to get to the remaining bellhousing bolts.

Thanks guys! I'll give that a whirl tomorrow :)

Are you going to swap a 5 speed while you're in there?
Have you rebuilt the transfer case yet?

Sadly no 5 speed. My dad won't spend the money on it.

I just got the transfercase off, but it will get all new gaskets and seals eventually

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

Things have been going a bit slow. But were moving. I really miss my landcruiser :frown:

I have been removing more things off of the engine but we can't go much further til we get the crank bolt off. (we forgot to take it off while the engine was in the car :doh: ) so now we are paying the price. And we dont have an air compressor or gun. so were debating about having a shop take it off.

Here's the progress. Even though its not much
IMG_2044.jpg

IMG_2045.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

If any of you know a way to get that bolt off please let me know :)

Oh for clarification I have gotten the bellhousing off, but we put it back on to have something to pry against while trying to get the crank bolt off

Thanks
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom