Scare me off of this build 79 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dealing with rust SUCKS. Mechanical stuff is basic for the most part.

But working on a cruiser that has any serious rust, meaning all of them priced under $10K nowadays, really sucks, there is a lot to it beyond just patching rust.

Read through my build thread and see for yourself.
This

Hi, new here. I'm assuming folks have probably seen this 79 FJ40 in pieces in WA. Im about ready to put cash down and pick up this weekend. I'm fairly confident it's all there minus one door glass, and pop out glass - and the missing sheetmetal due to rust.

I've built FJ40s in the past but this is a huge project starting from the ground up. I'm assuming i can have a rolling frame with engine and trans mounred in a few months. After that, the hard work begins - rust. Looks like all doors are hammerd at the bottom.

I'd say my biggest concern is the rust on the tub. 79s sound like a terrible year for rust. Looks like seller has a lot of the replacement sheetmetal but im expecting more will be needed.

If someone were looking for a project, would you let the rust scare you off? Sounds like it was running and driving before the tear down. Am I crazy? I'm almost assuming the seller may be a member on this site.

Are you referring to the mustard yellow one that was on craigslist for $5,500?

Dealing with rust SUCKS. Mechanical stuff is basic for the most part.

But working on a cruiser that has any serious rust, meaning all of them priced under $10K nowadays, really sucks

Shortly before you joined mud I had two threads on Mud. One asking the value of a rust free one owner 70 FJ40. Except for the early 2F transplant engine pretty stock. Column shift, original paint, Ramsey PTO wimch. Came back at $9k to $10K. This also included original paper work, jack, owner's manual and tool roll.

Other thread was trying sell it for the original owner who was a WWII vet. He wouldn't go below $10K. Had one possible buyer but market took a dip and he backed out. I just bought it myself. Figured it would always be worth what I paid for it. Regardless the cost getting harder to find them without rust even here in AZ.

I had also done some research at the time and was able to find a few other nice FJ40s in close to the same year range that were $9K to $10K. For the time was really fair market value. Market has changed in the last nine years.

That's the one. I know it's not going to be an easy build but for some reason I'm still interested.

id like to see the truck in question. Got a link?

No one asked how old this guy is. It's a reverse or opposite curve depending on age. Older, you may have more patience. Younger, you'll have more endurance. But all that said, I was told I'd give up on my hot rod if it wasn't done in 2-3 years. I'm in year 13 and it's almost complete. Kept running out of money for a year or two at a time. If you really want it AND the Herculean job it will take to complete it, do it. You can only blame yourself if it fails. If you do finish it, you'll have just that more pride.

No one asked how old this guy is. It's a reverse or opposite curve depending on age. Older, you may have more patience. Younger, you'll have more endurance. But all that said, I was told I'd give up on my hot rod if it wasn't done in 2-3 years. I'm in year 13 and it's almost complete. Kept running out of money for a year or two at a time. If you really want it AND the Herculean job it will take to complete it, do it. You can only blame yourself if it fails. If you do finish it, you'll have just that more pride.

Old enough to know better. Well, after 2 days of hauling, it's at my place. The parts that I thought would be good are bad, and the parts that I thought would be bad are good. Kids had a great time with the shop crane and were excited to get moving on it. Amazed how much thinner the sheetmetal is on th 79 vs the 67 I previously built.

Axles and frame will be headed to the sandblaster shortly. Will need to start scouting for the broken parts I'm finding.

20200912_204554.jpg

Almost worked. Still here. Still at the point where it seems almost doable but a long process. Covid project.

If Covid lasts that long there won't be a world left.......

Looks great! Who's aftermarket steel panels did you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom