1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sbc wiring question

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by mortimer, Feb 29, 2004.

1. mortimer

mortimer

I reciently aquired a 74 FJ40.....PO did a 350 sbc swap, and wired up a "new" fuse block off of an 87 toyota mini truck. All in all its a fairly clean install.....my question is wiring the charging system.

It has a 12si (internal reg) alt and is currently wired so the + post on the back of the alt goes to the fuse block with a jumper from the #2 terminal on the alt to the + post on the alt.....the #1 terminal on the alt is blank (no wire). How it is now, the alt has no excitor and the alt won't charge the batt. If I add a volt gauge will that be enough to tell the alt to start charging the batt?? And should the volt gauge be wired into the #1 terminal on the alt???

Or, should I wire it completely different?? My wiring skills are still very noobish......

TIA

Ken

74 FJ40
    350 SBC, PS
    33x12.50 on 4" springs
    lock-rite in the back

2. fj40mayo

fj40mayo

3. theo

theo

4. mortimer

mortimer

thanks for the link....this site is a wealth of information!! :D

5. Rice

Rice SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Wiring pic:

6. mortimer

mortimer

So I got it all wired up, and system starts charging :D
    but I can't get it to shut off......I found the search button and it looks like I need to add a diode.
    Does any one have a part number? One hit said something about using a ford a/c clutch diode, but there were no part numbers, someone else said something about radio shack, but they didn't say anything about what size.

Any help would be great!! Still new to this land crusier thing, but its good so far 8)

7. Eskimo

Eskimo SILVER Star

FWIW, my 12si was wired the same as your is now, and it worked as soon as the RPM's jumped above 1000.