sbc wiring question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I reciently aquired a 74 FJ40.....PO did a 350 sbc swap, and wired up a "new" fuse block off of an 87 toyota mini truck. All in all its a fairly clean install.....my question is wiring the charging system.

It has a 12si (internal reg) alt and is currently wired so the + post on the back of the alt goes to the fuse block with a jumper from the #2 terminal on the alt to the + post on the alt.....the #1 terminal on the alt is blank (no wire). How it is now, the alt has no excitor and the alt won't charge the batt. If I add a volt gauge will that be enough to tell the alt to start charging the batt?? And should the volt gauge be wired into the #1 terminal on the alt???

Or, should I wire it completely different?? My wiring skills are still very noobish......

TIA

Ken

74 FJ40
350 SBC, PS
33x12.50 on 4" springs
lock-rite in the back

thanks for the link....this site is a wealth of information!! :D

Wiring pic:

So I got it all wired up, and system starts charging :D
but I can't get it to shut off......I found the search button and it looks like I need to add a diode.
Does any one have a part number? One hit said something about using a ford a/c clutch diode, but there were no part numbers, someone else said something about radio shack, but they didn't say anything about what size.

Any help would be great!! Still new to this land crusier thing, but its good so far 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom