SBC Water Pump Rotation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know how to identify a SBC water pump? How do I determine if it is designed for CCW or CW rotation? Can I look at the impeller? I can't keep the 383 stroker in my FJ40 cool enough and I am trying to eliminate all of the possibilites...

i'd say 9 chances outta 10 its standard rotation.. . but i think pretty much anything that used a serpentine belt has a chance of it being a revers rotational water pump

Is the flange on the water pump different for serpentine pulleys? I don't know what the pump came out of - I didn't build the engine. Who knows where the PO got it. I guess I could just order a new pump to make sure but why spend the money.

In the past I've had to remove the rear cover to make a positive Id... the one in the pic is cw impeller.....
E_Impeller3.jpg

I'm curious on your setup with the 383 , so how about sharing some more details:
-What radiator are you running?
-Thermostat?
-What size and kind of fan, mechanical solid, mechanical clutch, or electric fan?
-Using a fan shroud?
-Transmission manual or auto?
-Carburation or FI?
-How much timing?
-Cam?
-Estimated HP of the engine?

And, what type of driving makes it run hot? Stop n Go?, Freeway?, Trail?
How do you know its really running hot? Temp gauge readings? Pushing water out overflow? Pinging? Run-on with ignition off?

Thanks for the pic grant. My impeller is not that agressive, that's probably a high flow one right? The blades on my are curved the opposite way than the one in your pic. Maybe I do have a reverse flow one.

my64: I'm not running a serpentine setup.

miker:

-What radiator are you running?

I took the stock radiator and put a 2" taller + 4 row core in it. It runs fine in cool weather - 180 deg. consistently. In the summer it can get up to 220. I'm in the process of putting a radiator out of a 78 cadillac in it. It has 15% more surface area, but it's only a 3 row. I'm hoping that the extra 15% in surface area is more efficient than the 25% more of tubes/core in my old one. The cadillac radiator is in all kinds of cars with motors from 305s to 6.6L camaros. Both radiators are brass/copper construction.

-Thermostat?

180 deg.

-What size and kind of fan, mechanical solid, mechanical clutch, or electric fan?

Mechanical solid.

-Using a fan shroud?

Yes (but it was designed for the stock radiator height - it doesn't cover the extra 2" of core that I added.

-Transmission manual or auto?

Auto TH350

-Carburation or FI?

Carb

-How much timing?

About 7 deg (used to be 12, lowering it helped but not enough)

-Cam?

I'm not sure.

-Estimated HP of the engine?

I think 350 is probably a modest guess.

And, what type of driving makes it run hot? Stop n Go?, Freeway?, Trail?

It only runs hot when the ambient temperature is like 95+. It's kind of weird. It will run hot at idle. But when I get to cruising speed, say 30 - 40 mph it starts to cool back down. Then when I get on the freeway it climbs back up. I have plenty of air flow I just think it needs a bigger radiator.

How do you know its really running hot? Temp gauge readings? Pushing water out overflow? Pinging? Run-on with ignition off?

I think my gauge is pretty accurate. It stays right on 180 in cold weather. Unless it is inaccurate up past 200. It also starts to ping at about 205 under a load - even with the timing down at 7. It hasn't boiled over yet so that's good but I would really like to keep it down closer to 180.

Wow, good info.

Fan:
From what you are describing, I think part of the problem is airflow. I'd suggest trying a clutch style fan, a big one, like a cadillac 7 blade along with a heavy duty clutch. Making sure the shroud fits correctly to the fan should also help.

Radiator:
I think you are on the right track with more surface area of radiator or a more efficient one.

In my fj40 with 383 and th400, I had a 3 row copper/brass rad with 46 rows (46x3 tubes) which did a decent job of keeping it cool. I had no problems on the trail unless working it very hard, or unless I was on the freeway pulling a long grade. Still, I could keep it under 220 and it generally ran 190 to 210. When this rad sprung a leak, I bought a 4 row copper brass thinking it would be better - wrong. It was much worse. The 4 row had more tubes, about 160, but less rows (40x4). I believe this made it less efficient. With the 4 row radiator, the engine would regularly get to 225 on the trail and on the freeway even when on flat ground.

I've since installed a BeCool and it works a bit better than the old 3 row I had. I can still get the engine to 220 but I've got to be working it pretty hard. It generally runs from 180 to 195 with a 180 thermostat. Even pulling a long steep grade at freeway speeds, it generally doesn't get above 215.

Timing:
Setting the initial timing is just part of the timing picture. You should also check mechanical and vacuum advances and make sure total timing (initial+mech+vacuum) does not exceed 35 degrees. Its possible to have more than 35 degrees of advance from a mis-adjusted vacuum diaphram or malfunctioning/incorrect mechanical advance weights/springs. Add this to the initial and under load, you could have 40, 50, 60 or more degrees of advance. I learned this the hard way. If the engine is pinging, I'd suggest fixing that first or at least looking for obvious causes like total timing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom