For Sale SBC V8 Ranger 2 Speed FJ40 Conversion Utah, USA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've decieded to sell the SBC V8 and Ranger 2 Speed overdrive currently in my '74 FJ40 in an effort to return to Toyota power. Included in the sell are the following items:

SBC V8
Edelbrock 4bbl Carb
Distributor
Accessory belts and pulleys
Exhaust manifolds
Altenator self-regulating
Ron Davis Racing aluminum radiator
Radiator hoses
Ranger 2-Speed Overdrive
Clutch (Slave cylinder not included)
Advance Adaptors Ranger OD Manual
Advance Adaptors Engine Conversion Kit Instruction Manual
Downey V-8 Conversion Manual

I don't have a ton of factual detail about the motor or the install. A close friend of mine aquired the rig 2-1/2 years ago from his father in law when he passed away. The rig lived most of its live in Kanab, UT. The old man did the conversion I'm being told around 15 years ago. The manuals I have from advance adapters are dated 1999 & 2000, so this supports the story. Word is it wasn't driven much over the years. I'd be surprised if 10,000 miles total since install. I don't have engine build details but the motor does run strong and fires up easily. Sounds tough too! Power output id guesstimate around 180-200hp. Definately not a hot rod, but in combination with the OD makes for a great cruising engine. Maintaining 70 is pretty easy at around 2600 rpm. My motivation here really is to go back to Toyota power. I suppose you could say I'm more of a purist.

This is a pretty legit setup and for the right guy is probably a great find. Really trying to market this as a complete package here.

Last edited:
I'm asking $2500 for the whole package. I really don't want to split up the motor and transmission as I think it is better sold as a package. My guess is $200-$300 would ship most places state side.

IMG_8991.jpg

IMG_8992.jpg

IMG_8993.jpg

IMG_8994.jpg

IMG_8995.jpg

Let me know your thoughts and questions. PM me if you want personal contact info so we can talk or text.

Thanks, and my name is Bryce

Your description reads Edelbrock and the pictures show a Weber carb.

I certainly understand the desire to go back with Toyota, but that setup just looks like it belongs there. A nice clean install . . . and if it works well, then . . . ?

It's your truck. Good luck with the sale.

Sure looks like a clean installation to me! Several of my friends run the ranger overdrive unit and yes it does indeed make highway driving easier more pleasant.

I certainly understand the desire to go back with Toyota, but that setup just looks like it belongs there. A nice clean install . . . and if it works well, then . . . ?

This was my thought too.

Yeah good call. The front of the carb has a shiney Edelbrock logo of which i now realise I did not photograph. The casting shows Weber. Perhaps Weber builds this unit for Edelbrock? I'll snap a photo tomorrow when its light out.

I'll be going diesel power with the new motor. I like the simplicity, the fact that it will be Toyota power (3B), and the torque for wheeling.

Sure looks like a clean installation to me! Several of my friends run the ranger overdrive unit and yes it does indeed make highway driving easier more pleasant.

Yeah thank you, the installation is very clean. I spent some time cleaning up some wiring but overall a very nice job. I'm thinking this would be the cats meow for some cruiser guy looking to increase power and driveability. Anyway, I'm comitted to making the change so here we go...

A couple questions, Can you pin point which small block this is? Casting numbers on the block, rear of engine above the bell housing. Also the build stamp, rh side front of block. Heads, a photo of the front can identify. Also is it an overdrive only or an overdrive/underdrive. Do the modified drivelines come with sale. Answers to these questions might help with your sale. GLWS John

A couple questions, Can you pin point which small block this is? Casting numbers on the block, rear of engine above the bell housing. Also the build stamp, rh side front of block. Heads, a photo of the front can identify. Also is it an overdrive only or an overdrive/underdrive. Do the modified drivelines come with sale. Answers to these questions might help with your sale. GLWS John

Pardion, thank you for the direction. I've included photos in hopes that they will answer most of your questions. As for the transmission, it is a two speed with first being a direct drive and second being an overdrive. (I thinks its a 17% od) Since it sits in front of the factory 4 speed you can essentially split each gear with the OD providing 8 forward speeds and 2 reverse speeds. Its also worth mentioning that this setup allows the factory 4 speed, transfer case and drivelines to remain in their original positions, therefore not requiring modifications. So drivelines are not included in this sale. You can use the existing.

IMG_9011.jpg

IMG_9008.jpg

IMG_9009.jpg

Here is a picture of the front of the carb.

IMG_9007.jpg

Did a little poking around and found this about the motor, from the pad number 10066036. TMI, I know, but maybe it will help?
... and I could be wrong

10067353 Brand New Goodwrench 350 Engine 1971-1985 Car and light Truck Replacement Engine.

Engine consists of the following parts:

Block -part # 10066034, casting # 10066036
2 piece rear main seal 4 bolt main

Crankshaft- # 3932444
Nodular Iron 1985 and older flywheel bolt pattern.

Powdered Metal Connecting rods- # 10108688

Cast Aluminum Pistons-#12514101

G.M. High Volume Pump Oil Pump- part # 12555284

Hydralic Flat tappet Camshaft- #14088839
Intake Lift-.383" Exhaust Lift-.401"
Intake Duration @ .050"- 194 Exhaust Duration @.050"- 202
Lobe Seperation-112
This cam Has a mechanical Fuel Pump Lobe.
This is a low end Torque oriented camshaft.

Cylinder Heads- part # 14034808, casting #33417369, 1.94" Intake valve, 1.50" Exhaust Valve, 76cc Combustion Chamber, 7 Bolt style Exhaust Flange Standard, 85' and prior intake manifold bolt pattern. Perimeter bolt style Valve Covers. This head is very similar to the old #882 castings from the 1970's

This engine remains our most popular largest selling crate engine of all times.
This is a great entry level replacement engine for older cars and trucks, and a great basic street rod engine. All of the parts in this engine are Brand New.
350 Cubic inches 4.00" Bore, 3.47" stroke
8.5:1 compression ratio.
250 HP @4300 rpm
350 ft. lbs of torque @ 3600 rpm
( These Numbers obtained with a Quadrajet Carb,1 5/8" headers , and an Edelbrock Performer intake part # 2101)

Engine Name: 350 LM1
Horsepower: 249 HP @ 5,000 RPM
Torque: 304 Ft/Lbs @ 3,500 RPM
Compression Ratio: 8.50 to 1
Block: 4 – Bolt, 2 Piece Rear Seal, 4.000” Bore
Crankshaft: Cast Nodular 3.480” Stroke
Heads: Cast Iron, 76cc
Valves: 1.940” / 1.500”
Camshaft lift: 0.390” / 0.410” Hydraulic
Duration @ 0.050”: 195° / 202°
Intake: Not Included

This engine can also be used in 1986 model pick-ups. The flexplate (flywheel) must also be changed. Use flexplate #471598.

SDPC Part Number: 10067353 Manufacturer: GM Goodwrench Replacement Engines New/Reman. : New Core Value : 100.00 Transmission : A/S Cubic inches : 350 Liters : 5.7L

This engine includes Painted Valve Covers, oil pan and Timing Cover. This engine is drilled for both L.H. and R.H. dipsticks. Plugs Are included to plug the side not used.Two timing pointers are also included, a pointer for a 6" balancer and a pointer for an 8' balancer.Balancer with 2:00 timing mark must be used with this engine in order for mark to line up with the pointer.
For most stock applications with HEI ignition, Base ignition timing should be set to 10 before top dead center (with vacuum advance disconected) Total ignition timing should be around 36 @ 3000 rpm.

Spark plugs that should be used are AC Delco R45TS gapped at .045"

head gaskets used .026" to .028" x 4.100"

This cam is used in the "Universal 350" GM crate engine, and was originally used in 1980's GM truck engines.

- 8.3435 cc flat top cast pistons

Last edited:
Did a little poking around and found this about the motor, from the pad number 10066036. TMI, I know, but maybe it will help?
... and I could be wrong

10067353 Brand New Goodwrench 350 Engine 1971-1985 Car and light Truck Replacement Engine.

Engine consists of the following parts:

Block -part # 10066034, casting # 10066036
2 piece rear main seal 4 bolt main

Crankshaft- # 3932444
Nodular Iron 1985 and older flywheel bolt pattern.

Powdered Metal Connecting rods- # 10108688

Cast Aluminum Pistons-#12514101

G.M. High Volume Pump Oil Pump- part # 12555284

Hydralic Flat tappet Camshaft- #14088839
Intake Lift-.383" Exhaust Lift-.401"
Intake Duration @ .050"- 194 Exhaust Duration @.050"- 202
Lobe Seperation-112
This cam Has a mechanical Fuel Pump Lobe.
This is a low end Torque oriented camshaft.

Cylinder Heads- part # 14034808, casting #33417369, 1.94" Intake valve, 1.50" Exhaust Valve, 76cc Combustion Chamber, 7 Bolt style Exhaust Flange Standard, 85' and prior intake manifold bolt pattern. Perimeter bolt style Valve Covers. This head is very similar to the old #882 castings from the 1970's

This engine remains our most popular largest selling crate engine of all times.
This is a great entry level replacement engine for older cars and trucks, and a great basic street rod engine. All of the parts in this engine are Brand New.
350 Cubic inches 4.00" Bore, 3.47" stroke
8.5:1 compression ratio.
250 HP @4300 rpm
350 ft. lbs of torque @ 3600 rpm
( These Numbers obtained with a Quadrajet Carb,1 5/8" headers , and an Edelbrock Performer intake part # 2101)

Engine Name: 350 LM1
Horsepower: 249 HP @ 5,000 RPM
Torque: 304 Ft/Lbs @ 3,500 RPM
Compression Ratio: 8.50 to 1
Block: 4 – Bolt, 2 Piece Rear Seal, 4.000” Bore
Crankshaft: Cast Nodular 3.480” Stroke
Heads: Cast Iron, 76cc
Valves: 1.940” / 1.500”
Camshaft lift: 0.390” / 0.410” Hydraulic
Duration @ 0.050”: 195° / 202°
Intake: Not Included

This engine can also be used in 1986 model pick-ups. The flexplate (flywheel) must also be changed. Use flexplate #471598.

SDPC Part Number: 10067353 Manufacturer: GM Goodwrench Replacement Engines New/Reman. : New Core Value : 100.00 Transmission : A/S Cubic inches : 350 Liters : 5.7L

This engine includes Painted Valve Covers, oil pan and Timing Cover. This engine is drilled for both L.H. and R.H. dipsticks. Plugs Are included to plug the side not used.Two timing pointers are also included, a pointer for a 6" balancer and a pointer for an 8' balancer.Balancer with 2:00 timing mark must be used with this engine in order for mark to line up with the pointer.
For most stock applications with HEI ignition, Base ignition timing should be set to 10 before top dead center (with vacuum advance disconected) Total ignition timing should be around 36 @ 3000 rpm.

Spark plugs that should be used are AC Delco R45TS gapped at .045"

head gaskets used .026" to .028" x 4.100"

This cam is used in the "Universal 350" GM crate engine, and was originally used in 1980's GM truck engines.

- 8.3435 cc flat top cast pistons

Wow! Thanks for the information!! I didn't realise this was available.

Your welcome. I'm not certain it's correct but it looks right. Shows HP numbers which are higher than you suspected, which is nice, and it looks like a good torque-y motor. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...
B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom