SBC Sniper first time start up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 76 FJ40 with a Chevy 400. I decided to clean up the interior and install a sniper EFI. I just got it to quit leaking fuel from the tank and did the first run to get it up to temperature. I have a few concerns. Once the water temp hit 180, the rear heater started smoking. I did take out both cores and I painted the rear with engine paint (best I can remember). I'm not seeing any smoke coming from the front heater.

I'm also getting some smoke coming from both sides of the engine around the back two cylinders near the bottom edge of the valve covers.

I installed new Sanderson block huggers and I have new valve cover gaskets under sniper valve covers. (If anyone has found a oil dip stick that works with Sanderson headers, I'd be curious to hear.)

Should I be concerned with this smoke or is it just new part burn off? I didn't flush my radiator fluid, just let it drain and refilled it with demineralized water.

Thanks in advance

If you smell a sickly sweet smell from the rear heater at the time you see the 'smoke', it could be a very small leak in the heater core or a loose hose fitting. The rear heater won't get hot enough to smoke per se, so you should only see steam (water vapor) if there's a leak.

RE: engine smoke - unless this smoke is excessive, I'd run the engine through a few full heat cycles to burn off whatever might be making smoke. Any time you remove valve covers, oil makes its way around and upon startup, often smokes as it burns off.

I would eventually put real antifreeze in your cooling system, and not just DI water, even if you don't see freezing temps.

Were you able to burp the cooling system after refill? There will be air pockets in the cooling system and it may take a couple of cycles to get rid of them. Also open all the valves to ensure coolant flow. What did the smoke smell like, that can help you determine what is hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom