SBC question- swap tbi for carb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so I'm ready for a flaming on this one. I have a 93 tbi 350. I bought it a while back for my 40, but it's still just sitting on the stand. I am still not 100 percent sure if i'm going to do the swap, but it's looking that way. My 2f is getting tired. It needs a rebuild, I have the 350, it runs good, and I love the sound of a V8 with flowmasters. Anyway, I want to keep it old school, I want to run a carb. My thought was to pull the intake and replace it with an edelbrock performer, and a 600 cfm 4 barrel carb. I also want to ditch the serpentine drive for V-belts which I don't see a problem with, except I believe the serpentine water pump goes backwards, so I'll need a water pump too. I was also planning on a mechanical fuel pump as well, I believe the tbi motors still have lobe on the cam for this. Anything else I'm not thinking of? Will the stock tbi dizzy work? Or do I need one of those to? Am I totally nuts? Unfortunately this truck barely ever sees dirt. And when it does, there isn't much off camber stuff, mostly old logging roads and stuff.

You can do everything you want to do with little to no problems. The intake will cost a little more than the standard SBC intake because of the heads on a '93 but that's the only issue there. You are correct on the fuel pump cam being there (you can double check when you pull the intake too). You might consider a different cam that will work better with a carb vs the tbi cam though. You will need a different distributor because the tbi distributor is computer controled. Summit/Jegs both have plenty of choices. Were it me I'd keep the serpentine set-up. It makes the motor overall length shorter. That gives you more options as far as fans and fan clutches. Tracking down all the brackets and accessories in v-belt form can be a PITA too.

BTDT with a '89 tbi motor myself. Got it without injection or accessory drive, converted to carb, v-belts and aftermarket cam. I'm now taking the motor back to TBI with an aftermarket cam. Still using v-belt accessories cause I got'm but looking to go short water pump instead of long.

HTH,
Nick

you wanted flaming, so i will give it to you..

:eek: you are planning on taking an already great motor and going thru the hastle of switching out the whole belt/acessory setup, then remove a superior TBI Electronicly controled Injection system and install a primative Carberator..

It dosent make sence to me? But each to their own.. :D

PM Me if you decide to do this, as i will take the TBI stuff for Spares.. (i could ust the Belt setup aswell, i currently have the V Belt stuff)

isotel said:
you wanted flaming, so i will give it to you..

:eek: you are planning on taking an already great motor and going thru the hastle of switching out the whole belt/acessory setup, then remove a superior TBI Electronicly controled Injection system and install a primative Carberator..

It dosent make sence to me? But each to their own.. :D

PM Me if you decide to do this, as i will take the TBI stuff for Spares.. (i could ust the Belt setup aswell, i currently have the V Belt stuff)

All the stuff above and the fact your motor will last longer, burn cleaner at all alitudes, better fuel mpg, and will cost less if you dont go with a carb.

IMO this is a move backwards

wouldnt it be easier to sell that engine and buy one that has what you want, i think you would make money on the deal, i bought my engine for a meager 75 bucks. had all the wants you described on it already.

The heads on the newer chevys 89 and up i think the center 2 bolts come in at a diffrent angle... soooo what i did was drilled them to the right angel hahah kinda rigged but it worked perfect,

But i went to tuned port injection because i love being able to actully start my car on cold moring haha, But if you want the intake ill give it to you for free you pay for shipping it has the holes drilled out for the new heads.only prob is its a cast iron 2 bbl intake

ill sand blast it befor i give it to ya to clean it up a bit. and if your looking to sell that throttle body id be willin to buy or mabye trade cause i still have my old carb we can trade intakes.

and im pretty sure your distributor will work, i bought a chevy 454 from this one guy and it was in a fire so 99% of the wires were burnt but i jumped the coil out, poured some gas down and hit the started with a screw driver and it started right up, so im pretty sure the distburitor will work.

honestly if i were you id stay tbi but thats just me i love the eletronic sh*t.

any other questions about chevy transplant i know a fair ammount just ask

One of the biggest reasons I want to get rid of the TBI is the cleanliness of the stuff that goes with it. I don't want to have the relays, wiring, and all the other crap visible in the engine compartment. I have yet to see a tbi swap that I liked the looks of. I know it's silly to say that, but I actually show this truck, and I want my engine compartment to be as clean looking, if not moreso than it is now. I am planning on ditching the serpentine system because it's basically junk. The motor came out of a wrecked truck, the A/C compressor was cut off the brackets, the idler pulley is seized, the alternator pulley is dented, the p/s pump is missing. Now if I was installing a tpi or an LS1 motor, I would certainly retain the injection. Of course I still might just rebuild my 2F. I'm just one of those people that likes to explore every possibility before completely disabling my truck.

You can buy an intake with the later bolt pattern, or you can just get an earlier motor. Hell, i got two of 'em I'd swap for yours. The TBI is far, far better. An Edlebrock is a HUGE step back. If it's all show and no go, then who cares, I guess, but then go buy a Jeep. The chrome is cheaper.
You will need a vacuum advanced distributor. The TBI small cap is way better to use with a V-8 conversion, because it's smaller, but lot of folks have gone with a TBI. Hell, just go points. That looks better than a HEI and fits better. We've already determined it doesn't matter how well it works. You can even get a clear cap that way and have cool looking sparks.
You need a different water pump, upper and lower alternator brackets, a different alternator plug, both or all three p/s brackets (depending on style of bracket), water pump pulley, crankshaft pulley and fan. The bolt pattern changed on the fans and the TBI one rotates the wrong way. You could go with an electric, but that just works better. It'll look way better with a flex fan and no shroud. It'll cool like crap, but it'll look cool.
You'll need throttle linkage, but you'd probably need to change that anyway.
If you have center bolt valve covers, you'll have a hard time finding cheap chrome ones. Another reason to swap motors entirely for a show motor.
Personally, I have swapped carb for TBI in my 74 40, my 93 T-100, my 66 F-100 and will do it shortly on my 78 pig. I have also switched back a couple of student cars that they did and found you can't license a car that can't pass emissions.

I just want it to be known that the only chrome on my truck is the air cleaner. I am not a fan of chrome, and never will be. I do show my truck, but only in the street class. It's actually a summer 2-3 times a week driver for the most part. I just want to keep it simple.

TBI is simple.. If you want it clean, you can move the relay's and sensors into the dash (many older Caddy's had this setup).. IMO when i look at a truck and see a carb it puts me off.. (too many bad memories me stinking like gas, not starting when cold, and Dieing on the Trail)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom