SBC position (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tonkacruiser.com
I'm starting the install of my SBC and was wondering if anyone could tell me how far they have the center of there engine from each frame rail. I know the "F" engine was offset to the drivers side and I know I'm going to have to put the SBC towards the drivers side to keep the front diff from crashing into the oil pan. If someone can give me the numbers it would help me out.

TIA, Chris

mine is maybe .5" offset to the drivers side...not much at all. Using older AA mounts. Planning custom mounts someday, and will likely center then.

Pretty much centered here with old AA mounts. Top of weld-in mount is just above flush with top of frame. AA says 8 to 12 inches behind shock mount so I have mine at 10". No conflict with oil pan. Like Woody I also plan to do custom mounts. I'm tired of changing donuts.

HH-

Are you using the non-metal reinforced style that was with the earlier kits?

TonkaC-

I will get you the demensions that I set the previous linked pictures this weekend...just so you have something more to pour over and cause confusion.. ;)

-Steve

Mine have the metal cup if that is what you are asking. They still don't seem to last as long as I think they should.

Actually I'm using early camaro motor mounts with custom brakets. I enjoy fabrication so like to re-invent the wheel each time if I can. :flipoff2: I'm also going to make my own rear tranny mount with the early chevy tranny mounts. I'll be sure to post pics when I get them done. I just wanted to know if I needed to offset the engine to help the diff clear the oil pan when I'm at compression. If non have had problems with this I won't worry about it much.

Thanks for the help, I'll keep you updated on the install. Have to go to DC for a week so I'm fawked on working with it this week.

Chris

my v8 is pushed to within 4" of pulley to radiator, and centered, I would only hit the fuel pump cause i have a huge 2.5" mechanical pump. I double checked when i put it in there but i am pretty sure that there was no way to hit dif to pan, now i am SOA.

The bellhousing kit o bought for my conversion reccomended keeping the sbc centre in the same position as the old 2f centre wich is ofset , from memory there is 700 mm between the rails with 320 on one side and 380 on the other the closer of the 2 being on the passenger side or l/h side of my veichle " being in australia " , i have pictures on the motor sitting in there where you can see it clearly if you would like any . Email me joelhogan@dodo.com.au

Hi Chris,
I went 1" to driver side. This gave just enough room for power steering shaft clearing block huggers and plenty room for driveshaft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom