SBC Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently have a '74 fj40 with a tired carborated chevy 350 (pre 86) motor, AA adapter, stock 4 speed and stock transfer case. I'd doing a complete rebuild and plan to rebuild/replace the motor. I will use it for light 4 wheeling with most of the driving around town, to the beach and taking my dogs out to run around. I'm really torn as to what SBC option to use.

If you were in my position what motor would you put back in? I have about $3k to spend on the motor and accessories. I've looked at crate motors from Jegs, ebay has tons of options, 4.8L and 5.3L gently used vortec motors on ebay and craigs list. There are just so many options and I can't make up my mind. Do I stay with carbed motor, jump to computer and vortec? Any input on what you have done or should have done after the fact would help. I really like the idea of keeping the factory 4 speed and t/c just for ease of things, but I'm open to further mods.

Thanks!

bump

i hope someone chimes in. Im in the same boat.... sorta i have a 2f runs ok... but i want a 5spd and from everything i have read a SBC is better on the road, which is where i spend most of my time.....

I was going to rebuild wore out 283 but glad I bought 350 crate moter from Chevolet dealer . Yes , its made in Mexico but so is my Dodge Truck ! 1450.00 LM1 5,000 on it so far no problems . Good luck

Being in both places I would say it depends on your mechanical aptitude, the type of wheeling you do and several other aspects. I myself stayed with a carbed motor because I can work on it and if it breaks down the parts tend to be a bit cheaper and more available. One of the earlier cruisers I put in a 350 and it tended to go through U joints quite a bit but I was doing some decent rock crawling also. Long story short, It all depends on what you want. The injected motors can be fun but if not done right they are a nightmare imho. Too many electrical components for my liking.

GL

Electrical Problems ?

Anyone intall a new vortec? Do you basically need the wiring harness and computer box - I'm guessing you can get these from a junkyard/parts salvage/ebay?

Lil'John this is COMPLETELY off subject... but im just curious
i saw that yr in cali and i thought cali was one of those states that if you did an engine swap the engine had to be the same make as the car it was going into?
is the cruiser old enough that those rules dont apply or what??

and for anyone else
IF i got one of those new 5.3 w/EFI is there a carb i can put on there?? -if that is just a dumb idea feel free to tell me... im just trying to learn as much about engines as i can as quickly as i can-

this is the same boat im in also, im about to pull the 350 out of my 40 for a full rebuild... but i have decided to go for a procomp 383 stroker kit, it should give me alot more low down torque in the bush but still be happy as to cruise around town :) mine is on gas as well so im not to worried about fuel costs just yet

I can't take the time to study all the above post right now, but what you are trying to deceide is pretty much along the lines of how I earn my living. Yes, you can put any late model GM fire breather into your rig, even in California. Once you make an engine/tranny choice, PM me. And for Pete's sake, don't let anybody talk you into a carbureted engine!!!!!!!!!

For a simple solution I think it would be "cool" to run a carbed 383 stroker engine.

If you want some very clean power and a start whenever run at whatever angle then fuel injection is the thing. Yes the install and setup can be a royal pain in the @$$, and can also be fairly expensive, considering if you want an aftermarket harness, you'll need your PCM re-programmed, and you'll need most if not all your electroic sensors and emission crap depending on where you live.

Since you have an adapter already then I would stay with the 5.7 GM family and go carbed with a old school 5.7, a stroker 383, or a 5.7 vortec. TBI 5.7 engines are nice and dependable but don't ask for much power. A TBI may be suitable for your needs...you might come across a caprice, or roadmaster or truck with a running 5.7 TBI that you could buy cheap.

ramjet 350. i picked mine up for 2800 off ebay!

yeah... ramjet 350 nice.. forgot about that version... you get the electronics too?

ok after many many many hours of research ive decided procomp kits are evil and should be avoided at all costs!!!
So now im going for a scat internal balanced kit to make things a little easier for me
I should really put a build thread up for mine soon

Why do you say the procomp kit is Evil? I was thinking about building a 383. I have a 350 in it right now that really needs a rebuild. The 383 seems like a good motor for all around trails and road. What heads were you planning on running with the 383? I was looking at the vortec heads?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

If I were to remove my carb, which is unlikely for reasons mentioned earlier, I would go w/Vortec heads and tune port injection. A buddy of mine did this and it seems dependable, it is very responsive and runs strong.

The 383 is a sweet engine... I love mine. Only bad thing about running a 383 on the street is GAS. I normally run 35. 12.50s with 4.11 gears and I average 4 to7 MPG (950 CFM Carb). I do have a some what heavy foot. Another problem with my set up is pump gas. If run anything under 93 octane it spits and sputters. I have never had it on an officially dyno but I guess it makes around 450 HP and 500 LBs of torque. A little much for a street cruiser.

Cam and Heads

The 383 is a sweet engine... I love mine. Only bad thing about running a 383 on the street is GAS. I normally run 35. 12.50s with 4.11 gears and I average 4 to7 MPG (950 CFM Carb). I do have a some what heavy foot. Another problem with my set up is pump gas. If run anything under 93 octane it spits and sputters. I have never had it on an officially dyno but I guess it makes around 450 HP and 500 LBs of torque. A little much for a street cruiser.

What heads and cam are you running? What compression are you running?

Matt

Dart SB-Chevy Iron Eagle Cylinder 64CC heads

Edelbrock Performer Plus Camshaft

Not to sure what the compression right now I am in Iraq right now the local performance shop has been toying around with it I will find out in the next week or so and get back

Aluminum vs Iron

Dart SB-Chevy Iron Eagle Cylinder 64CC heads

Edelbrock Performer Plus Camshaft

Not to sure what the compression right now I am in Iraq right now the local performance shop has been toying around with it I will find out in the next week or so and get back

Why did you select Iron heads over Aluminum?

Thanks,

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom