SBC guys help me identify... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, long story short...

Bought a project a few weeks ago, been putting it together now im tackling the ignition. The PO doesnt know what year the motor is nor what distributor it currently has. Ive basically taken the distributor apart and there are no markings whatsoever on it. I took it to autozone/asked around and all anyone can tell me is that it is a MSD style and/or something from summit or jegs???

I went ahead and bought a MSD-6A module/MSD blaster coil because I was sure I needed it but my buddy who knows a bit more about "engine stuff" says I might not need it?? He thinks it has a built in coil at the very least and might not need the module either. Im not even going to pretend like I know because im clueless about this stuff. Im a points kind of person ;p

I dont want to return the MSD stuff and find out I do need it so ive posted a few pictures of the distributor installed. I also included a pic of some number stamped on the motor. Im sure someone can point me in the right direction. I just want to know what I have and hopefully be able to download an instruction manual or something for my dist.

Thanks in advance!
image4.jpg

image-1.jpg

image3.jpg

image2.jpg

Does that plug in pic 3 go back into the dist or into a harness for the MSD? My friend plugged it into a port located on the underside of the cover where the red and yellow wires collect in picture 4, and thinks the other two leads that are there are for ignition and ground but I just dont understand why you would have a harness plug into itself!!

From what I found the engine is a 1968 327, 2 bolt main.

So do I not need the msd module and coil

No, It's just a fancy looking GM unit made by accel. It's probably a hotter coil. The pictured plug goes to the cap. Supply ING hot wire to batt on cap. Then other port on the cap is for a tach, as written on the cap. The plug originates from the dizzy & plugs into the cap.

Thanks guys for the info, especially that link for the motor info. I knew it was a 350, just unsure of the year. The motor has 0 miles since it was rebuilt top to bottom a few years ago, crane cams, balanced, has edelbrock intake mani, Holley carb, in short a real gas saver!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom