SBC 350 Overheated, High Oil Pressure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've only had my FJ40 for about 18 months, but it had a leaky front axle most of the time, so I didn't really drive it much at all. I finally rebuilt the axle and everything worked fine to home depot and back a few times. Then, about a month ago, I took it on the longest trip I have ever taken it....about 30 miles round trip on the freeway. I was following a buddy driving a modern vehicle. He was going 65+ MPH and I was having a hard time keeping up. I wasn't paying attention to my gauges because I also had a bit of drivetrain wobble I was very concerned about. I am not addressing the wobble now, because it's a separate issue. Approximately 5 miles from home on the freeway, I overheated. I started loosing power, looked down at the gauge and I was at about 270 degrees. Within about a minute, it started venting and I pulled off at the next exit. i think I saw it hit abut 280 degrees. Long story short, the fan belt had gotten loose and completely seized up the fan. I put on a new belt and topped off the radiator, it had lost about a gallon of coolant. I limped home to investigate further.

I haven't driven it enough to know the truck very well. I am pretty sure the oil pressure was always around 40-60 psi at cold idle, and went up to around 60-80 psi under power. I could be completely wrong, I just don't remember. Now, it is idling cold at 80 psi and I have a leak from what looks like just the valve cover that is leaking right onto the exhaust manifold and smoking. Of course the first thing I plan to do is replace the valve cover gasket, but I just put new ones on when I rebuilt the axle, and have only put about 50 miles on it since, including the 30 mile round trip when this happened.

My first thought was that I blew the head gasket and coolant leaked into the engine, causing the high oil pressure. I have looked at the oil on the dipstick, it doesn't appear to have been contaminated, nor does the coolant appear to be contaminated with oil in the radiator fill cap. In fact, my oil level was about a quart low when I got it home, so I assumed that I don't have coolant in the oil. I have not drained either of them to fully check, though. So now I am left wondering if my pressure really is higher than it was before, because I really can't remember what it was at before this happened. I have learned a valuable lesson about paying attention to these things now, but I don't know where to start with fixing this.

I can only assume the heat warped the valve cover, which is why it's leaking, but that doesn't explain the possibly high oil pressure. I will certainly drain both the coolant and oil before assuming anything else, but does the cold idle oil pressure sound bad? Aside from replacing the oil filter, should I check anything else before further troubleshooting?

I am a total beginner working on cars, so I would really appreciate any help on this. I am confident I can do the maintenance jobs, but concerned about doing more damage because I am unsure about the oil pressure and anything else I should be checking before driving it again.

If I were you if you have the ability to do this a mechanic shop can put a valve Type radiator cap and it will test the gases in the radiator of your system and I should be able to tell you if there's any issue with your radiator leaking into your heads or block or anything like that I suppose.

As for the head leak I would pull your plugs first of all and see if any of them look really really clean now that's just a shade tree mechanic trick but if one of them is clean that probably means you got a little bit a water going to that plug and it's steaming that plug clean however that's not always the result.

As for the oil pressure being high... when it's cold oils little thicker when it's cold it also depends you know where you live and how hot the oil gets in if using 20/50 weight 5W 30 weight. I know with my FJ40 with my Chevy conversion it idles at a pretty low PSI for oil but driving it's usually like 30 or 40 ..for you though...after it warms up though 80s does seem to be pretty high

If you're not burning oil and you're missing a quarter that you would notice that on the dipstick if you think about it you only have 5 quarts in a 350 Chevy. The-motor has 1 quart water mixed 5 of oil ? if it's got a quart of water or so and the quarts oil and youre driving it...well not good and you're going to start making mayonnaise in the motor.

Ok as for the wobble...it could be a myriad of things. Are you running a Saginaw steering conversion or the original FJ 40 Toyota steering? Could be your tie rods could be your ball joints could be your knuckle not seated all the way to the hub it could be a lot of different things creating a wobble like that. mostly it's in your steering of course but you should check out the play in the ball joints or tie rods etc. not hard to rebuild it

As for the 270° considering you have a pressurized system the water itself is hotter than 270 but being it's a pressurized system you can you can run it where it will be only 270 even know if it wasn't pressurized it would be really hot here is the concern… Depending on the water you put into the radiator and when you could've shocked The head and warped it... normally if I have to put water in I do not use cold water from the hose or a tap I will try to use the hottest water out of the tap start the engine let it run on pouring the water in slowly because if not you're adding pretty much cold water to a very hot piece of iron and it will warp.

I'm just hoping some of this is right and I'm hoping others will chip in to give their opinions and advice to see if I don't help you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom