sbc 350 install, what would you do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First, I am sorry if this has been previously discussed, I have done numerous searches and can't find exactly what I'm looking for.
So, what is the best way to achieve my final goal and what should I expect to pay for the components and to have it installed. I want to end up with a 350 engine, th350 or th400 tranny, np203 mated to my 4 spd transfer case.
I know I will need to purchase the AA install kit, but in addition...
Should I buy a used rig and yank out the components if so which one?
Should I go to a wrecking yard and plan on rebuilding what I get?
Should I buy factory new or reman of each?

I have access to '79 chevy 3/4 ton pickup with a fairly fresh reman 350 engine (5K miles), th400 trans and np203 t'case. The guy wants 2000 for the rig is this too much?

NO, pick up the rig. You can use everything there, even the axles if you wanted, but it depends on what you use your cruiser for. However, you can sell those 3/4 ton axles and get a little bit of money back. Gut it, transplant it, and go from there. That's what I did with my 40. From fire to tire I'm all Chevrolet. Sorry, but I don't hit too many narrow trails with my rig. All sand and mud here in FL.

IV

I'd find an old pick-up or blazer that has what you need. In my shop I'm working on a customers '79 blazer that came with 350, TH400, and NP203, so if you look, you'll find. I'm finishing up the 203/205 doubler conversion. You're talking about a pretty long drivetrain so get out your tape measure and plan it carefully. Good luck.

[quote author=fjcruiser link=board=1;threadid=7181;start=msg59526#msg59526 date=1068088722]
First, I am sorry if this has been previously discussed, I have done numerous searches and can't find exactly what I'm looking for.
So, what is the best way to achieve my final goal and what should I expect to pay for the components and to have it installed. I want to end up with a 350 engine, th350 or th400 tranny, np203 mated to my 4 spd transfer case.
I know I will need to purchase the AA install kit, but in addition...
Should I buy a used rig and yank out the components if so which one?
Should I go to a wrecking yard and plan on rebuilding what I get?
Should I buy factory new or reman of each?

I have access to '79 chevy 3/4 ton pickup with a fairly fresh reman 350 engine (5K miles), th400 trans and np203 t'case. The guy wants 2000 for the rig is this too much?
[/quote]

first buy that donar or i will ( and offer 1500 it cant hurt ) .... second what are you swapin it in to 40 55 60 ?? or did i miss that

Hmmm, many options here, so you pretty much have to decide what your budget can handle, then move forward. I put in a junkyard SBC my 1st time around to get the fit and finish correct for my use. I drove it for about a year until I had all the bugs worked out. Then I replaced the motor with a freshly built unit from a local machine shop. It was worth it to do it that way, since I didn't screw up the new motor while I was learning and working out the bugs of the swap...YMMV I would definitely grab that PU if your budget allows though....:cheers:

Thanks for the advice, I will probably end up buying the truck. I will be installing everything in a '76 40. Looks like I will get my longer wheelbase now. 8 ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom