SBC 350 exhaust - 69 FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My FJ came with a 350 SBC, automatic. It has an exhaust leak. The previous owner provided a new complete exhaust system for the rig. They bought a dual exhaust system with an H-crossover, mufflers, hangers, etc... It also came with a exhaust crossover pipe that connects the pass side header with the drivers side header and then out the back with one pipe.

I would like to run dual exhaust pipes out the back, if some one has done this already, can you post a few pics. I took a look and there seems to be a lot going on, on the pass side under the rig to get the exhaust pipe out the back.

Thanks DM3

Bump, Anyone?
Sounds like what was in my 40 when I got it. I’ll dig for a pic. It was a lot going on. I ripped it out. (Along with almost everything else from its previous years lol)

There's several ways to go. 1st you could find fenderwell headers which dump outside the frame rails behind the frt tire and the exhaust is run like side pipe. If you trail ride there is a possibilty the mufflers could hit an obstacle. You can get hugger headers which will dump inside the frame rail around middle of the engine blk. You most likely will have to run the passenger side exhaust under the engine to the driverside then back along the frame rail. then cross over to the passenger side. You'll have double pipes stacked on top of each other. Your transfer case will interfere with most any exhaust going down the passenger side. The problem I see with exhaust going out each side in the rear or H pipes, is you most likely will have to remove it if you need to work on the trans or Tcase. You will get exhaust fumes if you run the exhaust straight out the back. I ran fenderwell headers for yrs, I got tired of tighting and replacing header gaskets. Ive been running Ramshorn manifolds for about 10yrs with the wagner Y pipe and single exhaust along the drivers frame rail which dumps out the side just behind the rear tire. It is up out of the way and I will never have to mess with it when I do any major work or if
I have to drop the trans or tcase and no more exhaust leaks to deal with.

5BED5E1B-A315-4929-8341-F0938D4D9964.jpeg

57E4C66E-44FF-47F5-AA26-167B13FA571B.jpeg

The following are crap pics. They were not intended to show exhaust routing when I snapped them.

5CAEBB9A-A227-4A65-A1AD-99E04A35D1BA.jpeg
9FE43774-F1DC-4774-9AA5-5A4E8B7153FA.jpeg
0496435F-19DA-4099-A547-164A1C88D9D0.jpeg

mine has headers w dual exhaust. Mufflers sit right below the seats and not as quiet as I desired. Adds some to warm temps in cab as sitting right on top of a heat sink, though when I add heat wraps to them, solved theat problem as well as a good deal of the noise. Can get photos if you really want.

I’m another vote for Ram Horn manifolds and single exhaust. They last, are maintenance free, and did I mention they’ll last 50 years+.

Much simpler, easier to keep out of harm’s way, and quieter.

Sure they’ll increase your 0-60 time from 19.2 seconds to 20.1 seconds… but nothing will make it a 6.8 second car. It’s a tractor… not a race car.

I actually don’t know my 0-60 time… doesn’t matter. I’m interested most in what it’ll do a 0-5 mph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom