Saw swomething unusual today - a HDJ80 (not 81!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Didn't have my camera with me, but this is what I saw:

1995+ HDJ80 VX in light grey.

Stock suspension.

Spare tire under floor.

No tint.

Overhead console.

Side markers.

Rear sliding windows.

Euro-spec beams.

Factory third brake light.

Weird full-length (aftermarket?) roof rack bolted directly to roof.

Third row seating.

Cloth seats!

LHD!

Factory winch in (damaged) factory bumper.

There are lots of JDMs here, but this is the first "Euro" 80 I have seen "in the flesh". I assume it was recently imported, because the build date on a '95 is cutting it very close to the 15 year rule.

I tried to get the owner's attention, but she was oblivious. :rolleyes:

Hopefully the owner is a 'Mudder who can chime-in on the details.... also I'm wondering what that costs, landed. Pretty much the ideal Cruiser. All the goodies of the NA-spec, plus VX trim items and a factory TD.

Super!
Where did you see it?

interesting find yuppy. i remember hearing about another hdj80 here on mud. maybe it was back east? was bone stock with barn doors i think? i wonder if the hdj80's are exempt from the 15 year rule from RIV as technically xJ80's were available in the NA market. maybe lhd eurospec vehicles assuming they were available in NA dont need to be a min of 15 years old...as i thought it was possible to import but not register a newer than 15 year old out of continent truck.

ive always wondered why there werent more euro-spec 80s making their way to our shores, since they're lhd et all. id guess their selection would be much less than the jdm market...

how did you come to the conclusion that it was a 95?

HDJ80's are not exempt from the RIV, as they were not manufactured for the Canadian market. If it was registered here, and a 1995, then something is going on.

There are a few ripe HDJ80's in these parts. We just saw one at the old shop the other day. It was a 5spd; nice to drive!

The prices are high for the European models, and when you factor in shipping, exchange, and consider that most have been exposed to salty winters.... There are clean units, but price is reflective.

gb

HDJ80's are not exempt from the RIV, as they were not manufactured for the Canadian market. If it was registered here, and a 1995, then something is going on.

There are a few ripe HDJ80's in these parts. We just saw one at the old shop the other day. It was a 5spd; nice to drive!

The prices are high for the European models, and when you factor in shipping, exchange, and consider that most have been exposed to salty winters.... There are clean units, but price is reflective.

gb

Yeah, what he said.

I saw this one on the Pat Bay Highway in Victoria BC.

The RIV is based on date of manufacture, not model year. So I suppose a 1995 built in early 1994 would qualify.

I *assumed* it was a 95+ because it had the same late-model grille/dashboard as the 95+ US models. No more "TOYOTA" on the front, and the updated interior. I did a little reading and it seems those changes for the 95 model year were global.

Before I bought my US market 80, I asked a local importer what an HDJ80 would cost me if they brought one in from Spain or Italy, and I was quoted CAD$30,000+ sight-unseen with no guarantee of colour, lockers, or trim level. $7K for a lockered truck I could actually inspect seemed like a better deal even though it's a gasser and doesn't make its own ice-cubes. :grinpimp:

I guess that explains why there are more JDMs here - generally lower mileage, much cheaper, no salt exposure, etc. I have heard that Japanese vehicles are better maintained, but I don't know if that's true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom