Saw a Cheap 80 series this weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was traveling SC86 to SC8 headed from exit 35 off of I-85 up to Easley. In one of the yards was a pretty decent looking early '80 series, with $3500 on the windshield. Would definitely be worth looking at if you're looking for an 80. Sorry, I didn't get a number.

Last edited:
Saw the truck on Friday, was going to go back and take a pic. Will try to do today and post the pic tonight. I'll see what other info I can find if someone is interested.

So, I stopped and looked at this Cruiser today, and here's what I learned...

Basics
1991 Model
156k miles
Auto
Center Diff lock, I didn't see a E-loc button, but there were 2 buttons for front and back, but the image looked like an antenna (Ұ kinda)
3rd row seating

My impression
New Maaco paint job (felt rough, could use a good wet sanding/buffing)
Been cleaned up underneath (and spray painted)
All seats ripped (but they're leather)
Tach doesn't work
Needs new exhaust - hole before the cats, causing rough idling
Engine didn't knock when cranked, hard to tell just how it drives, as the exhaust was causing it to run rough
Some kind of fluid dripping on a crossmember (probably rear main seal)
Hole in carpet on driver's side
"New" front bumper

The guy said he'd had it for 2 months and didn't need it. He bought it from a friend who needed help, and then he fixed it up to sell it. He's turned down $2900, but said 3k would take it.

The phone numbers are 230-4698 or 230-0423. As for the pics, they're the best I could do with my phone.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions. As for my knowledge of 80 series, there is none. However, I come from a long line of mechanics and do all of my own work, so I kinda know a little bit... Probably enough to make me dangerous, so take what I say with that knowledge...
80series1.jpg
80series2.jpg
80series3.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds a little rough, maybe worth it if you wanted to spend some time on it. Thanks for the details carpdawg. I was really kinda interested in what a $3500 80 would have wrong with it. Thanks for the details. Might make someone a good beater, who knows.

on the same note; i might as well add here. Similar deal in Stokesdale NC. hwy 68 and hwy 158; silver on burgandy 92 w. 194k. cloth seats very clean inside. decent paint, w/ light scratches and gravel chips on leading edge of hood. just came in no price today and they were closed . i got pics if someone is interested. looks like a leaking rear main on this one as well. very very clean inside. decent tires and shiny running boards.

both seem reasonable but none touch the 80 FJ45KC was just selling on mud w/ a pile of pm and new parts for same price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom