1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Savings Bonds Question.....

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Hot_Eighty_Chick, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Hot_Eighty_Chick

Hot_Eighty_Chick

When I was little, one of my grandmother's would buy me bonds on my birthday and other holidays, and what not.
    Anyway- she passed away suddenly a few years ago, and I realized a while later that I have no idea where the bonds are or how to get information on finding them.
    Is this a lost cause?
    :frown:

2. yooper

yooper SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    They are on paper somewhere. Maybe your parents have them?

3. Hot_Eighty_Chick

Hot_Eighty_Chick

No.....
    My birth father (that grandmother was his mom) passed away when I was 11, before she even passed on.

IF my mom has it anywhere, it's lost in a box somewhere. :frown:

That is the only way they are accounted for?

4. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

You need to contact the executor of the estate....or whoever cleaned out her house....maybe look for a website?

5. Hot_Eighty_Chick

Hot_Eighty_Chick

Yeah...... they're mildly useless as far as this goes.
    The website would be a better option.

6. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

Stay away from the .com websites...you should be able to find them for free....I found this:

3.1) How can I find out the status of my Savings Bonds to determine whether or not they've been cashed?
    If you have the serial numbers, we can look up the status of the securities, assuming they are U.S. Treasury securities. But because of the confidentiality of the records, we must have a signed request by the owner or a co-owner mailed to us (via the postal service) before we can give out information. If the bond owner or both co-owners are deceased, then the person making the request needs to provide proof of the death, such a copy of the death certificate(s). Send the request to: Bureau of the Public Debt, P. O. Box 1328, Parkersburg, WV 26106-1328.

Return to Top

4) LOST, STOLEN, OR DESTROYED BONDS

4.1) If a bond is lost, stolen, or destroyed, what should I do?
    Bonds that are lost, stolen, mutilated, or destroyed can be replaced free of charge as long as we (the Bureau of the Public Debt) can establish that the bonds haven't been cashed. To assure that the bonds can be traced, owners should keep records of bond serial numbers, issue dates, registration, and social security or taxpayer identification numbers in a safe place separate from the bonds. (The Savings Bond Wizard is a great way to do this!) To get your bond replaced, complete Form PD F 1048. On this form, provide the approximate issue date along with the complete names, addresses, social security number that appeared on the bond, and the bond serial number. If you don't know the serial number or denomination, just write "unknown" in the space provided. If the bond owner is a minor, the form should be signed by both parents and the minor's age and social security number should be included. Mail the completed form to: Bureau of the Public Debt, Parkersburg, WV 26106-1328. Replacement bonds will still show the original issue date.

7. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">