Builds Saved from scrap - '97 LX450 build thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Since I'm having an OCD competition with @Joe Link

PXL_20201125_032836748.jpg

Dropped new OEM headlights in today. Left had a broken adjuster and was pointing at the sky (non serviceable) and the right had almost no reflective coating left inside. More than I wanted to spend on an item that I hadn't originally considered replacing, but they bolt straight in and there's no trim to sort out this way. Not to mention I have no idea how long these things will still be available.

Not sure if I'll do Depos with projectors in the future and swap out some grill components but these will serve for now ... and I have a pair of squadrons in the bumper, so I won't be hurting for light.

Lol... Yeah, I'm sure I'll change over eventually. The corner marker lights I ordered we're cancelled tonight as NLA, which means I'll need to go Landcruiser on the front end at some point, which I'm sure will involve Depos and projectors.

The challenges of having a Lexus. :grinpimp:

Got the rear driveline angles dialed in tonight. Found this article - One of the better written I've read on the subject: Driveshaft 401 & One-Ton High Angle CV Driveshaft...

Threw a couple of spare tires on the tailgate to simulate what I expect will be typical load in the rear before adjusting to parallel flanges -2 degrees.

Also ran 2ga wire from the battery to the QPM which was more of an adventure than I expected. Mounted well though. Will wait on the slider install before attaching permanently in a few places since I'm not 100% sure where the U bolts will wind up.

Still waiting on parts from Dubai to button up the rear end. The housing twisted off the axle stands when it was loose while I was torqueing the 3rd member down and fuggered one of the brake backing plates. I'm pretty sure I could bend it out, but since the caliper mount is integrated I figured I didn't want to mess with it with the part still being available in case I threw off brake alignment. That was an expensive mess up :confused:

The housing twisted off the axle stands when it was loose while I was torqueing the 3rd member down and fuggered one of the brake backing plates. I'm pretty sure I could bend it out, but since the caliper mount is integrated I figured I didn't want to mess with it with the part still being available in case I threw off brake alignment. That was an expensive mess up :confused:

I was shocked when I saw how expensive those were! I'm lucky mine cleaned up well.

1606498693571.jpeg

1606498672771.jpeg

5 gallon OBA tank installed. Bought a cheap aluminum unit off Amazon - I'll be interested to see how well it holds up. The straps were held in place by screws threaded directly in to the aluminum bracket, which didn't see like a sturdy solution. Upgraded to some M6 bolts and nuts to be on the safe side.

Had some fun getting the 1/2 NPT plugs to seal. Assuming the threads in the aluminum tank weren't to spec ... because, China.

PXL_20201130_044257841.jpg

PXL_20201130_055624860.jpg

Looking at that second picture I could reinstall the spare tire cross member for some added protection. Huh ... wonder if there would be any benefit?

I'm being told this isn't appropriate Christmas decoration for the dining room. I don't understand why not.View attachment 2516262
If you don’t mind me asking, what wheels are those? LOVE them! I also enjoy following your build. Just bought myself a 96 LX450, same scheme as yours. Yours is coming along great! 👌🏼

If you don’t mind me asking, what wheels are those? LOVE them! I also enjoy following your build. Just bought myself a 96 LX450, same scheme as yours. Yours is coming along great! 👌🏼

17x 8.5 Icon rebound, titanium finish.

Good luck with the new LX!

I'm only here so I can make expensive mistakes and you can learn from me... :beer:

I'm still mad about the stupid rear dust shields I mangled. :bang:

I'm being told this isn't appropriate Christmas decoration for the dining room. I don't understand why not.View attachment 2516262

Yeah, those look fantastic! What size tires? Have you/are you regearing?

What's not appropriate the tires or all the liquor.... looks like a great time to me lol. Keep up the goodwork:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom