Save Your LC From Rats and Rust (1 Viewer)

Would you try this product at roughly 20 bucks a can?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Les Summer

SILVER Star
Threads
I thought this might be useful, so here you go. Would anyone, has anyone tried this product?

tempImageD4lopY.png

I have had it professionally applied to my FJ62 by the son of the creator of NHOU. Seemed to be a good product. I sold the vehicle a few years later, but worked as intended. Had a slight smell for the first week or so, like most rust inhibitors. Once it gets a nice coat of dust, it doesnt get on your clothes.
Decent product, similar to the others out there. I think rodent deterrent is a byproduct of it being not pleasant to get on your skin or "fur"

What is it? Lanolin based? Silicone? Nothing prevents rodents, used to work at a lawn mower shop and have seen every method tried but hey it can't hurt.

Probably try to avoid getting it on any rubber parts if it is oil based and will cause swelling.

Soak it on a rag and rub down metal frame and other areas of rusty concern. Of course if it is already super rusty there isn't must any spray on solution can do

What is it? Lanolin based? Silicone? Notihing prevents rodents, used to work at a lawn mower shop and have seen every method tried but hey it can't hurt.

Probably try to avoid getting it on any rubber parts if it is oil based and will cause swelling.

Soak it on a rag and rub down metal frame and other areas of rusty concern. Of course if it is already super rusty there isn't must any spray on solution can do
it is best to avoid rubber according to the back of the can, like you said. Glad you mentioned it, I might never have checked. It also says may soften some vehicle undercoatings and to check with manufacturer. I am not sure what that means, but does not sound good.

As for rodents, peppermint is tried and true with getting rodents to move on if they happen to try to move into your vehicle. I think if there is already an existing rodent problem, rodents have already made a home, then yes it's probably difficult to get them to leave. I did a lot of content research on the topic recently, and the consensus is peppermint oil works great, but flashing lights and ultrasound devices are a scam to avoid.

it is best to avoid rubber according to the back of the can, like you said. Glad you mentioned it, I might never have checked. It also says may soften some vehicle undercoatings and to check with manufacturer. I am not sure what that means, but does not sound good.

As for rodents, peppermint is tried and true with getting rodents to move on if they happen to try to move into your vehicle. I think if there is already an existing rodent problem, rodents have already made a home, then yes it's probably difficult to get them to leave. I did a lot of content research on the topic recently, and the consensus is peppermint oil works great, but flashing lights and ultrasound devices are a scam to avoid.
That is just general advice any petroleum based product will say, but it's good to follow the advice and keep away from rubber. Silcione lube is OK on rubber. WD40 and other oily type stuff is best for metal

I've seen everything from peppermint to hot sauce being used. You're right, once they are established nothing will stop em' But if you are just trying to prevent it, give it a try and hopefully it works. Some say keeping the hood open helps as well so they don't have a quiet dark space to get comfy with.

That is just general advice any petroleum based product will say, but it's good to follow the advice and keep away from rubber. Silcione lube is OK on rubber. WD40 and other oily type stuff is best for metal

I've seen everything from peppermint to hot sauce being used. You're right, once they are established nothing will stop em' But if you are just trying to prevent it, give it a try and hopefully it works. Some say keeping the hood open helps as well so they don't have a quiet dark space to get comfy with.
leaving anything in one spot for too long is absolutely a big one too. I parked in a city lot for 15 years. always near a dumpster. I recently bought my Land Cruiser and started to let my subaru outback sit in the lot for longer than normal, only by a few days, and just like that, there was a rat rave under the hood of the subaru, and my wiring harness was destroyed. so now I'm just all about trying to prevent it from ever happening again. especially not to my beloved LC. luckily the subaru was on last legs about to go to the junk yard anyway. first time it ever happened was when I let the car set too long in same spot. never happened any other time.

leaving anything in one spot for too long is absolutely a big one too. I parked in a city lot for 15 years. always near a dumpster. I recently bought my Land Cruiser and started to let my subaru outback sit in the lot for longer than normal, only by a few days, and just like that, there was a rat rave under the hood of the subaru, and my wiring harness was destroyed. so now I'm just all about trying to prevent it from ever happening again. especially not to my beloved LC. luckily the subaru was on last legs about to go to the junk yard anyway. first time it ever happened was when I let the car set too long in same spot. never happened any other time.
I hear that, yeah the environment you're in certainly makes a difference. I am lucky, out here in the woods our mice are small and timid and don't seem to mess with much.

A good place to check now and then is in the V of your engine. Pop the cover off and shine a flashlight down there, if there aren't any signs of mouse poop or nest that's a good start.
I also park on a hill sometimes and flush a hose through my frame and sometimes I see little acorn bits come out, they must lurk around in the frame sometimes.

I have had it professionally applied to my FJ62 by the son of the creator of NHOU. Seemed to be a good product. I sold the vehicle a few years later, but worked as intended. Had a slight smell for the first week or so, like most rust inhibitors. Once it gets a nice coat of dust, it doesnt get on your clothes.
Decent product, similar to the others out there. I think rodent deterrent is a byproduct of it being not pleasant to get on your skin or "fur"
Does this product need to be applied annually (for northeast), or is it once and for all application? Thanks.

yes, definitely annual in the areas that get blasted by debris, like wheel wells and outside of frame rails, etc.
Inside the frame rails and body cavities, its not really quite as necessary to reapply

I go to the NHOU main shop every fall for undercoating. I definitely think it has prevented most of the rust that people typically see in the Northeast. It's a mess to work on afterwards though. I put mothballs under the riding mower hood when I winterize it in the fall for the rodents, btw, I guess it works?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom