Savanna Georgia

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by sandcruiser, Aug 13, 2005.

1. sandcruiser

sandcruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    So my wife and I are headed to historic Savanna for a wedding at the end of September. Anyone have a recommendation on a B&B that is nice but won't break the bank? I have no idea what "normal" prices are like there, pretty sure that they are higher than here in Costa Rica... and hopefully lower than Bay Area, California.

Also, any "must see" spots?

Would love to do some wheeling in the area, but strongly suspect that the wife would veto that idea.... :(

2. gorister

gorister

I wouldnt recommend any of the B and B's there however I always stayed at the Riverfront Marriott. A ton to do right around the hotel and only about 20 minutes from the beach (Tybee Island).

3. cruiserdawg

cruiserdawg

I too recommend the Marriot. Also look into the Hyatt or the Hampton Inn (cheaper) that is just down the street. All three are within walking distance of all the good places on River Street. As for food...it is hard to beat "Lady and Sons". It is a little pricey but worth it. Also try Tubby's Tank House on River Street.
    If you go to River Street, be sure to go to Wet Willy's a "Call a Cab" drink.

4. stevezero

stevezero SILVER Star

Dont know about B&B's there (I always stay at the Wingatte Inn at the Pooler exit for work).

Ya gotta eat either brunch or dinner at "The Lady and Sons" restaruant in savannah. Thats owned by paula dean. She has a bunch of food network shows and books. They have a little bit of everything there (including a buffet). Be prepared to wait though, but its worth it. Theres a parking garage less than a block away, and the trolleys all pass around there, so it would make a good startin point for adventure.

5. 3puttcop

3puttcop

I stayed at the Presidents Inn B&B, incredible service, relatively reasonable rates. Beautiful building, about 150 years old, only has 8 rooms. Also stayed at teh Hyatt, also nice adn right on the river.

6. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    My sister used to live there, great town. The Marriott is nice but I'd prefer a B&B too, check around when you get there, lots of nice ones down by the river.

7. Critter

Critter

As someone else said go to Wet Willy's and get a drink, they make everything with grain alcohol!

There is alot to do in the river front area, and the historic area is really cool to just walk around in. Watch "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" to get a better idea of the surroundings before you go.

I have a good friend that lives there and she swears next time I am in town we have to go see Lady Chablis (I have heard he/she is funny as hell but I just don't know about going to see a drag queen). If you are interested she "hosts her own show at The Cabaret and Club One". And yea if you've seen Midnight in the Garden that is really him errr.... her.... it.

8. sandcruiser

sandcruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    thanks for the advice, keep it coming!
    Normally I enjoy just showing up somewhere and figuring it all out, but since a wedding is part of the plan for this trip, I want to try to have some sort of game plan... ok, that's a lie, mostly my wife is trying to plan the whole thing and I thought it would be nice to add some tips to the mix...

9. 3puttcop

3puttcop

Just hope there's no hurricanes lurking...prime time. Although the end of Sept. is usually tollerable as far as the heat goes, because right now its ungodly. I think there a wennie dog festival the first of October, if you into that kinda thing. I also recommended a place and gave you the wrong name its called the Presidents Quarters...super nice!

10. kkt

kkt

Media:
    Albums:
    restaurants savannah

pearl's saltwater grill like your going to isle of hope
    oyster bar on willmington island.
    down & dirty bar- pinky masters for pabst blue ribbon beer
    crystal beer parlor close to river street.
    cary hillards for shrimp salad sandwich's
    be sure to go down to tybee island or as I know it truckstop by the sea

11. 3pits

3pits

it has been a while since I have been there, but,,, just off the bridge to I believe tybee, there is a shrimp shack, almost under the bridge to the left, kinda hidden, great shrimp, a dive but I like the atmosphere and food, the rest. owners also own the boat IIRC,, also there is a main park with some incredible fountains and trees, from what I remember you can be looking at a fully renovated home and 30 feet away there can be a dilapidated crack house,, still kind of hit and miss

good luck and have a good and safe trip, try fromers or someother online vacation type book

12. rcb

rcb

i live in savannah. i can get you some information and mail it to you. i work downtown in the historic district. so, i'm there most everyday. bring your golf clubs. there are courses every 5 miles and hilton head is just across the way.

13. Jon in NC

Jon in NC

The Crab Shack on Tybee (2nd right after you cross the bridge onto the island, then quick left and a quick right. Drive to the end of the road). Eat outside unless the sand gnats are out, then wear bug spray and eat outside. Lots to do in town too. River Street, City Market. And some one already mentioned my favorite bar, Pinkie Masters. Enjoy. I hope to be there at the end of October.

14. grrlscout89FJ62

grrlscout89FJ62

I second the Lady & Sons! I drove 98mph all the way from Palm Bay Fl in order to get there before they stopped serving lunch at 3pm. Got there at 2:58pm, and it was sooooo worth it! This was back even before Paula had her show on FTV.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.