Saudi Spec FJ75 Mystery Doohickey (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lelandEOD

SILVER Star
Threads
I’m still trying to find a factory service manual for this Saudi-Spec 1992 FJ75. It came with a 3F carbureted engine and I’m trying to diagnose a stalling problem on decel once the engine is warm. I’m going through all the usual suspects but I’m running into a wall when it comes to this particular doohickey on the left side fender apron. Can anyone save me some google searching and tell me what the hell this is?

B5288CF2-DFB6-4749-9CCB-33286DA8CBEE.jpeg

I obviously have my suspicions about the vacuum/VSV routing but don’t have any diagrams to refer to just yet.
AE920BF4-53D0-45F9-B3C1-475C31B046CC.jpeg

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Looks like it might be a charcoal canister and part of the emissions system for the 3F. But that is just a guess.

Charcoal canister.

I’m still trying to find a factory service manual for this Saudi-Spec 1992 FJ75. It came with a 3F carbureted engine and I’m trying to diagnose a stalling problem on decel once the engine is warm. I’m going through all the usual suspects but I’m running into a wall when it comes to this particular doohickey on the left side fender apron. Can anyone save me some google searching and tell me what the hell this is?

View attachment 3065988

I obviously have my suspicions about the vacuum/VSV routing but don’t have any diagrams to refer to just yet.
View attachment 3065990

Any help would be very much appreciated!
It is a charcoal canister, part of the emission system to draw fumes from the tank and burned back into the engine. The one on the right should be your purge solenoid and the one on top of the canister could be the vent valve. Does it have an EGR valve? Could be too lean?

Try looking for vacuum leaks too.

OK, I can buy that is it certainly meets all the obvious visual characteristics of a charcoal canister… …however, there’s another charcoal canister on the right hand side frame rail which is why I was convinced otherwise. Anyone want to take a stab at why a Saudi FJ75 would happen two charcoal canisters? Does it have something to do with the fact that the truck has the extended range fuel tank option?

Very likely with two fuel tanks. Twice the vapors needing recovery.

Yup, two separate tanks will need one canister each.
OK, I can buy that is it certainly meets all the obvious visual characteristics of a charcoal canister… …however, there’s another charcoal canister on the right hand side frame rail which is why I was convinced otherwise. Anyone want to take a stab at why a Saudi FJ75 would happen two charcoal canisters? Does it have something to do with the fact that the truck has the extended range fuel tank option?
What's that canister next to the master cylinder? Vacuum hose going to? Is it a vacuum reservoir?:hmm:

Yup, two separate tanks will need one canister each.

What's that canister next to the master cylinder? Vacuum hose going to? Is it a vacuum reservoir?:hmm:
Yeah, this truck has vacuum assisted clutch and it appears to be a reservoir for that purpose.

that SHOULD be the charcoal cansister for the carb float boal vent line, your tank charcoal canister is down on the frame next to the starter/fuel pump/fuel filter.

as far as the stalling issue, you havent mentioned what you DID try, but too high float level is the first thing i'd check.

Last edited:
good luck, the FSM covers a general layout but nothing specific on that front, really nothing at all for the fuel system other than some carb rebuild specs, fuel pump rebuild and a drawing of the fuel tank with s*** info about the tube and vent routing.

really dissapointing in that regard

Very likely with two fuel tanks. Twice the vapors needing recovery.
My FJ73 had 2 canisters, the second smaller one was to catch escaping hydrocarbons from the carburettor after shut down, I think. It was a long time ago

that SHOULD be the charcoal cansister for the carb float boal vent line, your tank charcoal canister is down on the frame next to the starter/fuel pump/fuel filter.

as far as the stalling issue, you havent mentioned what you DID try, but too high float level is the first thing i'd check.
Correct... the canister pictured in the first post is for the carb float bowl... the canister that is on the passenger-side frame-rail is for the gas tanks. I've got dual tanks and only one frame-rail canister. But my dual tank was an after the fact install, not original, although they used many factory parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom