Saudi Eastern Province Junkyards... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everyone,

I'll be in the Kingdom this coming Christmas and wanted to take full advantage while in cruiser land.

Anyone know where good Land Cruiser junkyards are near Dhahran?

Or, if people are going to a junkyard anyways, would pay for parts if they happen to find any for me.

Looking for 80 series stuff, little things like clutch pedals, stick shift and wire harnesses.

Thanks!

-Nick

80-series stuff should be easy to find.

The junkyard moved from Abu Haydriah Road to Dammam 2nd Industrial City.

Google Maps

-Geoff

Wow thanks!

Looks like a big area. How does it work? You go into a yard and pay a guy if you get stuff? I would assume you'd have to bring your own tools...

They are a ton of individual junkyards. You ask if they have a vehicle you need and if they do you negotiate the price for the parts you want. Prices always start high. Generally they pull the parts but sometimes its good to be there with your own tools to make sure what you want is taken off correctly and safely.

I'm assuming you either speak Arabic or will have an Arabic speaker with you. You'll need someone to translate and negotiate as most workers are either Sudanese or Yemini and do not speak English. Also, prices are adjusted depending on how wealthy they perceive you to be, so be prepared to walk away until you find a yard willing to deal. Print a map or use GPS because you can get turned around and visit the same locations more than once.

-Geoff

They are a ton of individual junkyards. You ask if they have a vehicle you need and if they do you negotiate the price for the parts you want. Prices always start high. Generally they pull the parts but sometimes its good to be there with your own tools to make sure what you want is taken off correctly and safely.

I'm assuming you either speak Arabic or will have an Arabic speaker with you. You'll need someone to translate and negotiate as most workers are either Sudanese or Yemini and do not speak English. Also, prices are adjusted depending on how wealthy they perceive you to be, so be prepared to walk away until you find a yard willing to deal. Print a map or use GPS because you can get turned around and visit the same locations more than once.

-Geoff

Yikes sounds like an ordeal.

Unfortunately I don't speak Arabic and I don't really know anyone well enough personally who would be willing to go to a junkyard. Lol

I figured that these guys see a western expat and immediately charge high prices.

Yikes sounds like an ordeal.

Unfortunately I don't speak Arabic and I don't really know anyone well enough personally who would be willing to go to a junkyard. Lol

I figured that these guys see a western expat and immediately charge high prices.

Western expat... who doesn't speak Arabic. If you can somehow complete the sale you'll have been screwed. =)

That said, I print off pictures in color of the specific vehicles and parts I'm looking for. I also know, ballpark, what I'm willing to pay for a part or what others have paid... or what I can pay elsewhere.

But I've been screwed a few times. =)

Western expat... who doesn't speak Arabic. If you can somehow complete the sale you'll have been screwed. =)

That said, I print off pictures in color of the specific vehicles and parts I'm looking for. I also know, ballpark, what I'm willing to pay for a part or what others have paid... or what I can pay elsewhere.

But I've been screwed a few times. =)

Well sounds like my hopes and dreams for getting cheap used parts have been shattered!

I'd assume even getting a surrogate guy to do it for me would result it getting screwed anyways lol

Well sounds like my hopes and dreams for getting cheap used parts have been shattered!

I'd assume even getting a surrogate guy to do it for me would result it getting screwed anyways lol

Maybe we were a bit harsh... you should at least try.

Know what you're willing to pay for the items you are looking for. You aren't getting screwed if the price makes you happy... even if a local would pay half. Then print off some images/photos of the parts you are looking for. And go with cash.

If for no other reason than the awesome experience of seeing one of these Middle Eastern junk yards, you should try. It'll be fun even if you don't score some great parts.

And take copious photos and post them here when done. :hillbilly:

Agreed - you never know what you might find. I scored a nice clean set of front doors with the non-US vent windows for SR300 a couple of years ago - without a translator.

What will you be doing and how long will you be here?

-Geoff

Maybe we were a bit harsh... you should at least try.

Know what you're willing to pay for the items you are looking for. You aren't getting screwed if the price makes you happy... even if a local would pay half. Then print off some images/photos of the parts you are looking for. And go with cash.

If for no other reason than the awesome experience of seeing one of these Middle Eastern junk yards, you should try. It'll be fun even if you don't score some great parts.

And take copious photos and post them here when done. :hillbilly:

Ha well luckily I know exactly how much the stuff I'm looking for is worth! And will definitely be an experience, I've gone to thuqbah a few times for new parts - that place is interesting.

Agreed - you never know what you might find. I scored a nice clean set of front doors with the non-US vent windows for SR300 a couple of years ago - without a translator.

What will you be doing and how long will you be here?

-Geoff

Very interesting. Sounds like I just need to print out pictures of what I need!

I'll be in the KSA for 2 weeks for Christmas to visit my folks. I actually grew up in Dhahran and spent 15 years on the aramco compound. So I'm familiar with the silliness of Saudi Arabia. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom