Builds Saudi Arabia: 1982 FJ45 Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Daytime running lights is a feature (i believe mandated by law in North America, 'cause it saves lives, dontcha know) that has the headlights on, at a lower voltage, whenever the ignition key has the power on. It is a feature i've no interest in, and i have seen one LED headlamp that has that feature built in; which is why i ask.
On another note, i just found a local supplier for the same headlights you installed, although i asked about the ones with the heated lenses: $500 each. I cannot justify that expense these days. Ah well!

Daytime running lights is a feature (i believe mandated by law in North America, 'cause it saves lives, dontcha know) that has the headlights on, at a lower voltage, whenever the ignition key has the power on. It is a feature i've no interest in, and i have seen one LED headlamp that has that feature built in; which is why i ask.
On another note, i just found a local supplier for the same headlights you installed, although i asked about the ones with the heated lenses: $500 each. I cannot justify that expense these days. Ah well!

I believe that's a Canadian law because many vehicles here in the states don't have day time running lights. The daytime running lights at least on Honda vehicles work by applying 6volts to the high beam filament.

Thanks, Boozewz, i looked that one up.
Roma042987, thank you; i assumed the law was at least very similar in both countries.

I guess I am late tot the thread, but so glad I found it. What a great story on how you aquired the troopy - hats off to the Mrs.
What a beautiful job you did on the resto - upgrade. All top notch.

I have had a few 40's in the past but my stable has been empty for the last three years....until now. Sadly my '82 45 from Saudi is in a more tired state than yours to start with but she has most of the parts and pulls strong ( plus I love a challange). Thanks for sharing the story and the build!

IMG_2744.JPG

A little update is due.

The season is around the corner and will soon be time to get the Troopy out of its hibernation. The kids were thrilled every time I took them out in it last winter, and my 3 year old keeps reminding me of it by asking “when will we ride in the Troopy”. Was driving home one day last week and it popped in my head that maybe it’s time to get a soft top fitted. @Arabian Cruiser came to the rescue. He’s moving houses and says he doesn’t have space to keep his FJ45 soft top half cut. I made him an offer.

Stay tuned.

C67B5A1C-1394-44D2-8467-6E96C66055F0.jpeg

A little update is due.

The season is around the corner and will soon be time to get the Troopy out of its hibernation. The kids were thrilled every time I took them out in it last winter, and my 3 year old keeps reminding me of it by asking “when will we ride in the Troopy”. Was driving home one day last week and it popped in my head that maybe it’s time to get a soft top fitted. @Arabian Cruiser came to the rescue. He’s moving houses and says he doesn’t have space to keep his FJ45 soft top half cut. I made him an offer.

Stay tuned.

View attachment 1780328
Good to see that’s going to a good home! I seriously considered asking about that setup but finally realized I had too much on my plate as it is!

-Geoff

Some catching up to do.

Bought the soft top bows and rear doors from @Arabian Cruiser and sent the Troopy to Dubai. A gent by the name of Seb does clean work out there restoring 40's and Defenders, and one of his projects caught my eye with its specially ordered Troopy soft top from South America.

All the goodies loaded inside. The bows were butchered, so Seb and his team had their work cut out for them.

IMG_5104.JPG

Loaded up on the transporter to Dubai. I've done the drive myself in 17 hours. The truck driver quoted me 2 days. He took nearly 4 as he prayed in every mosque along the way.

EIGG8759.JPG

Here are a few pics Seb sent on the WhatsApp.

NDYS5049.JPG

They turned out super clean and straight.

IMG_6780.JPG

IMG_6781.JPG

A few more shots.

IMG_6783.JPG

The B pillars also came from the @Arabian Cruiser body.

IMG_6784.JPG

When discussing the project with Seb, I don't know what kicked on in my mind, but I decided to go for a windowless canvas. It was a punt, but lets see how it turns out.

IMG_6785.JPG

IMG_6786.JPG

Last edited:
Turned out alright. The top fits like a glove.

KMXW1477.JPG

GIHR5899.JPG

VIXU9302.JPG

MOWF2885.JPG

We also had a Vintage Air AC installed. Don't have any pics, but I test drove the Troopy yesterday and it blows ice cold. Will load up pics as soon as the Troopy makes it way back home to Jeddah.

Happy new year Mud brothers and sisters.

Beautiful.

Funny, too - That area of KSA looks just like parts of Los Angeles County.... Deserts, I guess.

Looking great. Glad you made use of that soft top setup. Was so up to do a soft top troopy but I guess it wasn’t in the card for me.

Happy cruising

Not much tech other than we rolled the sides up, and took my son out for a cruise along the Red Sea coastline.

Always brings a smile to our faces.

View attachment 2206316
Hey man, you have done a stellar job with your troopy. Have just finished my HJ47 here in Cape Town. Am really quite stoked with how it came out, have just done a 2.000 km drive without a hitch.

I have a small question for you. In my cruiser I am noticing that when the engine is hot there is always warm air coming out of the heater. The heater valve is functioning, because the waterpipes leading to/from the heater are not hot. The heat seems to become more went I pull the "vent from outside" knob on the dash, which leads me to think that I am drawing in air from the engine compartment. The blower is located on the same side as the exhaust manifold and there is a gap between the blower intake and the louvres on the side apron, so maybe the blower is sucking in heated air from the engine bay instead of through the louvres? How is that on your cruiser? same issue? sorry to bother you but havent been able to find anything about this ...

Would also love to see how you built in the Vintage Air unit if you have time ;)

Many thanks

Hey man, you have done a stellar job with your troopy. Have just finished my HJ47 here in Cape Town. Am really quite stoked with how it came out, have just done a 2.000 km drive without a hitch.

I have a small question for you. In my cruiser I am noticing that when the engine is hot there is always warm air coming out of the heater. The heater valve is functioning, because the waterpipes leading to/from the heater are not hot. The heat seems to become more went I pull the "vent from outside" knob on the dash, which leads me to think that I am drawing in air from the engine compartment. The blower is located on the same side as the exhaust manifold and there is a gap between the blower intake and the louvres on the side apron, so maybe the blower is sucking in heated air from the engine bay instead of through the louvres? How is that on your cruiser? same issue? sorry to bother you but havent been able to find anything about this ...

Would also love to see how you built in the Vintage Air unit if you have time ;)

Many thanks
Never mind, I now see you don't have a heater at all 😂

Still interested in the install of the Vintage Air though ...

Many thanks
With the stock heater on an FJ40, you should be able to take out 3-4 screws and unplug a wiring connector to remove the fan on the top half of that "box" where the intake and such is and see exactly how it works and it's current condition. There should (at least on ~70's US import) be a cable pull on the dash marked "fresh"(?) that moves a flap back and forth inside that box, under the fan.

And, even with that water valve closed, it's not going to totally stop the transfer of heat, only really slowing down the flow of water on one side.

Plenty of guy's on the board in the US from places like Montana and Colorado that are probably very familiar with the system (where it gets kinda hot in summer, and really cold in winter).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom