Saturday, May 23rd Hill Country Gravel Run (San Saba to Llano) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
@meatloaf @The Phoenician @AustinJoe @Mr Cimarron @LKirk302 @92RedToy @KennyBob @davegonz @TXFJ40 @bottombracket @marketShark @fblainen11 @scwill @Aussiecruiser82 @PearlLX470 @Beagle @huboverland

Alright, figured I'd just start a thread dedicated to this trip. Just makes sense to do so. I'll be making the run this coming Saturday, May 23rd and all are welcome to join as usual. For this trip, we'll be starting up near San Saba and driving gravel in that area in the morning with the really cool suspension bridge (only vehicle traversable suspension bridge in Texas). We will also be driving on gravel through a huge pecan grove (one of the larger ones in the state). We will then be heading back south along numerous new gravel roads my father and I scouted last weekend. Those roads will eventually lead us back to Llano. I figure we'll picnic along the way. I'll research San Saba and see if they have any good BBQ places (surely they do, it is TX afterall). Last week, my father and I left Liberty Hill at 8am and made it all the way back to Pflugerville by 7:00pm (we stopped for a LONG time at Coopers in Llano and then had to nurse the rig all the way home as the alternator was going out and the battery was dying).

Anyway, on to the plan:

Figure we meet at the Valero near Liberty Hill. This one will be the one on the EAST side of 183 (see map below)....that we, if there are a bunch of rigs, we can all make a right onto 29 and then merge onto 183 (much safer that way).

For the people coming from South Austin, it make sense to roll west on 71 and intersect 281 where you'll head North thru Marble Falls and intersect 183 in Lampasas. Map it on Google and see which is shorter. If you decide to go that route, be at the Stripes in Lampasas by 9:00am and we will roll out directly. Address: 801 Key Ave., Lampasas, TX 76550

We will roll-out at 8:15am and head up 183 to Lampasas and then continue on NW towards Lometa where we'll had W on 190 to the trailhead. It will take about 1-1.25 hours to get to the trailhead. We generally make a quick stop at the Stripes in Lampasas to top of the tanks, get a 2nd (or 3rd coffee) and then roll on.

I don't suspect there will be any water crossings at all on this trip as things have started to dry up pretty good. Hopefully we get some more rain this week which will "green" everything up quite a bit.

Let me know by Friday if you can go so I have a headcount and don't leave anyone behind.

~Gary
(512) 800-1421
HAM/GMRS: 462.675 MHz

1589748291920.png

1589748797028.png

Here's a video of me crossing the suspension bridge back in March

Sadly, I’m out, I have to work the whole holiday weekend.

I'll work on the 40, see if I can get it up and running. I have everything, just need to make the time to do it. Also, 50/50 shot on my parents coming into town. I will know by Wednesday.

Sadly, I’m out, I have to work the whole holiday weekend.

Damnit! Totally forgot it's a holiday weekend. Good news is that Tyler wants to a run another trip either June 6th or 7th for the June Central Texas Landcruisers meetup. So, block your calendar for that weekend :)

I will actually be spending the holiday weekend on a ranch just outside of Mason on the Llano so I would already be "in-range". The bigger question is - Will I have my truck back? She's been at LCS for two weeks getting new lower ball joints, a new driveshaft (beefier), and a Nitro low range transfer case gear set installed. Those guys may be the best around, but fast they are not. :)

I will actually be spending the holiday weekend on a ranch just outside of Mason on the Llano so I would already be "in-range". The bigger question is - Will I have my truck back? She's been at LCS for two weeks getting new lower ball joints, a new driveshaft (beefier), and a Nitro low range transfer case gear set installed. Those guys may be the best around, but fast they are not. :)

Yeah, I saw all your stuff there on Friday when I used one of their bays to do my alternator change. They should be able to knock it out in a day. I think they were saying later this week when I asked.

Yeah, I saw all your stuff there on Friday when I used one of their bays to do my alternator change. They should be able to knock it out in a day. I think they were saying later this week when I asked.
Why didn't you get in there and get your hands dirty? :)

So, what kind of head count do we have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom