Saturday June 23 trail run on north meadows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this is short notice but figured that Ill put this out there for anyone interested. I know the club trail ride is scheduled for Sunday the 24th but the trail is still TBD but anyone who does decide to do this trail should still be able to make the club run if it happens.

@ttFJC and I are planning on running the north meadows trail to twin lakes (FS 965) and possibly the leg to McKelvy Lake depending on the snow. Exact times have not been nailed down yet, I will update this when they are decided on. North meadows is one of the harder trails in the Bozeman area and will test your driving skills. I personally have run this trail twice, both times solo, once last October and once this past weekend so I feel as though I know the trail pretty well and have a lot of experience spotting.

Just as a warning...

Heres what I would suggest for vehicle mods to do this:
  • 33s I have done it on 30s in the snow but it was a challenge
  • Sliders
  • Skids
  • Locker would be nice but not necessary
  • A winch would also be nice just in case
I don't want to try to scare people off from doing this trail but do not attempt it without the expectation that you will have some new scratches on your armor and could break things. This is also the trail that claimed my passenger side door last month but that was more driver error

I will be packing tools, recovery gear, and a chainsaw to do some trail clearing but will not have any oddball tools that may be specific to a certain vehicle.

Now that I have all that out of the way I have to say this is probably my favorite trail around here, it has a good mix of technical rock crawling and scenery. I have never been able to finish the McKelvy side of it because I was stopped last weekend by snow that I would guess will be gone this week, but I have heard the McKelvy side offers even more great scenery.

When I ran the trail last Sunday I was socked in by heavy fog and it was raining the whole time. There was nowhere that gave me any real issues and the mud seemed to be pretty minimal. There were two small off-camber sections of snow at the top of the trail though. These were a little tough to get through but it just took some very careful throttle control. I got shut down about a 1/2 mile into the McKelvy leg due to a snow section that was super soft. I am hoping that it will be gone by this week.

Some pictures from my various times running this trail. Unfortunatelly I dont have pictures of the rock gardens but @ttFJC might
IMG_8286 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr
IMG_5789 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr
IMG_5792 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr
IMG_8756 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr
IMG_8758 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr
IMG_8760 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr
IMG_8763 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr

If you're interested in going, post it up and let's get something organized!

Im in.

Adam and i talked about camping out near the trailhead somewhere friday night.

Heres a video of one of the easy rock gardens. You can hear me bash the heck out of my cross member. I also stalled it haha

I did the trail with 33s and no lift. I put scratches and dents on everything, lower control arms, factory skids, sliders, frame and rear links. Tc bent a rear link if i recall correctly but he was trying a harder line

Another clip of a more technical section. Not too bad. This is what it looks like dry in july

If everything goes smoothly for me Friday I might be wanting to camp out. I have to weld Evans cab mount plates on and work on a bumper but could probably head towards Norris around 5 or 6.

If everything goes smoothly for me Friday I might be wanting to camp out. I have to weld Evans cab mount plates on and work on a bumper but could probably head towards Norris around 5 or 6.
I get off at five and id need to stop by the grocery store and grab my dog so we could do a 4corners at six or something

Either one of those scenarios works for me. Ill just shoot you a text mid Friday to see where I am as far as camping out goes. Evan was saying he wants to run the trail and then camp out Saturday.

Either one of those scenarios works for me. Ill just shoot you a text mid Friday to see where I am as far as camping out goes. Evan was saying he wants to run the trail and then camp out Saturday.

I was planning on camping out saturday as well. Location TBD based on when and where the trail is scheduled for sunday.

Hey there! I’m pretty interested in this since I can’t go Sunday. I was just wondering if it’s OK if I don’t bring my Toyota and I bring my jeep. It’s built for this and I really like my Toyota. Want to keep it nice looking for a little while longer.

Hey there! I’m pretty interested in this since I can’t go Sunday. I was just wondering if it’s OK if I don’t bring my Toyota and I bring my jeep. It’s built for this and I really like my Toyota. Want to keep it nice looking for a little while longer.

What’s your experience level?

Expert! ;) Been on that trail a few times. Go to Moab once a year. Off-roading since I was a kid. Never been Rubicon but a bucket list. All my rigs are capable and have at least a rear locker. The main reason I don’t want to take one of my Toyota’s is one might need a new clutch soon so don’t want to burn it up on that trail and the other I just installed a new lift and it’s not getting aligned until next week. I could trailer it I guess, but my Jeep is bigger and locked up front and rear. Guess it depends on weather too. Toyota is so much more comfy.

Last edited:
I might Crash you trail ride too. just warning you guys, I'll know more tomorrow morning. I have a work function that I might get roped into on Saturday, that would be the only reason I wouldn't make it.

JeepRSQ, if these guys are offended by your jeep I wouldn't be. I'd hit that trail with you if your cool with it. ill check back tomorrow.

Expert! ;) Been on that trail a few times. Go to Moab once a year. Off-roading since I was a kid. Never been Rubicon but a bucket list. All my rigs are capable and have at least a rear locker. The main reason I don’t want to take one of my Toyota’s is one might need a new clutch soon so don’t want to burn it up on that trail and the other I just installed a new lift and it’s not getting aligned until next week. I could trailer it I guess, but my Jeep is bigger and locked up front and rear. Guess it depends on weather too. Toyota is so much more comfy.

Sounds fine to me if you join. Just dont want someone getting over their head. Just thought i would ask since weve never met and your new to the club/forum

I might Crash you trail ride too. just warning you guys, I'll know more tomorrow morning. I have a work function that I might get roped into on Saturday, that would be the only reason I wouldn't make it

Cool with me

offended by your jeep
#triggered

sounds like a couple of us are camping out tonight
tentative Saturday night camp out location:
45°32'38.9"N 111°53'58.6"W
location of trailhead- plan is for everyone to meet up there by ten and head up the trail
45°31'02.5"N 111°53'35.4"W

Let me know when you decide on a Saturday night camp site... I am going to try to meet up w/ you guys.

We all made it up to the twin lakes and back. In one piece. The group decided against camping out because we were all exhausted.shpuldmbe some good pictures soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom