Satellite phones (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bluecruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone know a place in town to rent satellite phones? I need one for a kayaking trip next month.

Thanks

bluecruiser said:
kayaking trip next month.

Just out of interest, where are you going? We used to canoe a bit in AZ when I was still living there full time...........

Very cool! Never would have thought of this! btw, I am working on a canoeing trip for the Scout troop I work with this summer. Was thinking of the Black Canyon below Hoover Dam. Any other good ideas? Would definitely include a rented sat phone for a trip like this now that I know they're out there. The place in TN ships them out I take it?

I have gone canoeing down the verde a couple of times to the salt. That is a fun day trip. But what I want to do is the verde from Childs to sheeps bridge. Do that over a few days, that would be fun. I guy I work with has done it a few times and talks it up. One time they fished the whole way down but didn't get much until about halfway down. Since then they go fast for the first half and fish the second half slowly. I keep thinking I would like to do this but never plan it.

Sean

We are starting in Camp Verde and ending at Horseshoe. We are planning on 3 days just to be safe and camping 2 or 3 nights.
This is my first time but my friend has kayaked the Verde about 10 times.

If anyone is interested we are going in February (the 16th, 17th and 18th). So far we have 3 going including myself.

Niles Radio in Flagstaff rents Globalstar phones

I've done this twice for Mexico trips....$5/day plus airtime (careful on the roaming....$$ can add up pretty quickly.)

Call,

John Thompson
(928) 774-4621

-H-

bluecruiser said:
We are starting in Camp Verde and ending at Horseshoe. We are planning on 3 days just to be safe and camping 2 or 3 nights.
This is my first time but my friend has kayaked the Verde about 10 times.

If anyone is interested we are going in February (the 16th, 17th and 18th). So far we have 3 going including myself.

Sounds like you would be pushing it a bit for time. We did this trip in three different years, and each took about 5 days, starting at Beasley Flats and take-out at Horseshoe (2x) and once at Sheep Bridge. The problem with continuing to Horseshoe was the overgrowth that was accumulating, but maybe the rains last year took care of that.......... We went with a canoe and covered about 10-12 miles each day. One LONG day could get you from Beasley Flats to Childs (have done that about 10x), but then you would be short on fishing time........Given that there hasn't been much precipitation lately, you can't expect the water to help you with speed, cfs is below 200 right now :frown: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/uv/?site_no=09506000&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060. The last part on Horseshoe itself is hard work if you have headwind.......

Yes, it is an absolutely beautiful trip, I envy you :flipoff2:

By the way, the area is sooo remote that any help would have the hardest time to get to you, even if you were able to reach them. It's probably more a peace-of-mind thing. Commom sense, scouting the rapids before you enter, and good preparation should get you through. It's going to be COLD, though..........

Last edited:
At low water level, there are rock gardens abound. It is enough work as it were in a canoe......there are just too many to simply drag a boat. We once encountered rafts, they had a hard time at low water and with the wind...... got themselves taken out prematurely.

I have no idea how a drift boat would handle in rapids; although hearsay has it that there are no rapids below Childs, that simply means they are not as well-named as from Beasley to Childs. You will need some form of steering control (paddle) to maneuver the rapids.

Thanks for all the help guys. I found a globalstar dealer in Desert Sky Mall which is on my side of town. 45$ a week. 1.59 a min.

....Hopefully won't have to use it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom