Sat for a while, now my brakes are sticky (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My rig got parked outside when the snow and salt started appearing on the roads, I just made room for it the garage the other day. It was outside for probably 3 months without moving. It was nice and warm and dry yesterday, so I took it out for a spin to get everything going. I noticed after a couple errands around town that the brakes seem to be sticking. They would break loose if I backed up or pumped them or whatnot. So, my question is, is this something I can fix with a can of WD40 in stratigic locations, or are these puppies probably done? Or will they just get better with more driving? I couldn't quite tell if it was the fronts or backs, but it seemed like maybe the front. Incidentally, I have been slowly loosing brake fluid for about a year, just top it off every two weeks or so. So, if I need brake work it will not be a huge suprise! If that is the case, any recommendations for upgrades? Fancy crossdrilled rotors or anything else like that? I have been putting if off, because it seems like if you just go in to replace shoes, you break things and find things that you did not want to, and what was a Sunday afternoon in the driveway turns into 3 weeks, and lots of begging for help on Mud. :rolleyes:

My newb guess, seized caliper(s)... replace the front pads and you will know for sure.

I am not sure about the rears though since I am not familiar with drums yet...

Almost has to be a seized caliper. I cant think of anything else that fits the bill. Just throw some C-60 into the pad area, should free them up real quick. I would recommend you C-60 the connections as well.

C-60 ?

Being that C-60 is a degreaser (main active ingredient=TCE) that leaves no residue behind, why wouldn't a guy substitute brake cleaner, being much easier to get?

I kinda scratched my head at that one, too -- If your pistons are stuck, frozen, really doesn't matter what you spray in there as the rubber seals around the pistons are gonna keep the solvent - cleaner away anyways...

I had to take the pads out and use a pry bar and wood block to compress the pistons and then hit the pedal and repeat a few times to loosen the frozen piston up. I was trying to do it without having to remove the caliper and open the brake line.

Sorry, i was just commenting from my own experience. C-60 seems to work better then brake cleaner. I guess the best thing to do would be to replace the front pads etc etc. I just had both c-60 and brake cleaner lying around the house so i tried them both.

If you are losing fluid then most likely you want to look at the rear wheel cylinders make sure you replace axle seals and anti sieze backing plate while your there then on the front all sliding parts lube with di-electric grease or C-60 but whatever you do don't use WD-40 happy trails

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom