Builds SAS 89 Mini--Triple cased Mashed Potato (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

developed an engine knock at the River Rock event last weekend so dropped the oil pan, pulled the first rod bearing cap off and found what I hope is the culprit.

Fortunately they had not spun and the crank shaft looks perfect so crossing fingers I dodged a bullet on this one. So, just ordered a compete replacement bearing set but not confident about them arriving this week. :bang:

View attachment 1560440

yeah so despite my attempt to save the motor it appears it's on the way out. took the rig to AOP few weekends ago and the knock is still there around 2500-3000 RPM so it's only a matter of time.

That said, looking for options on where to go now. As I see it I have at least 3 options:
  1. Rebuild current motor: +/-$1500
  2. 3.4 Swap - about the same $, bigger pain in ass
  3. Preferred - source an extended cab parts rig with running motor and transfer everything over - would go Extended cab for the wheel base this go around.
Remember, everything I have currently is 23 spine (R150F tranny etc...)

or, are there other economical options I'm missing???? And don't say LS or anything V8 please, toy axles wont hold the power and I'm already pushing the boundaries.

How bout a 4.3 Vortec for instance. I need educated!!

Advance Adapters. Order GM to Toyota kit
4.3 Throttle body motor. Later 80s
Or
LS is an option.

Well if you want to stay simple, just pull the 3.0, have the bottom end gone thru, have the heads checked and put it back together and go. I built one to go into a 4runner a few years ago and it went with the truck when I sold it. If you were to go the parts truck route, if you are not looking to do it again anytime soon, I would still want to crack the motor open and have the heads checked and do the timing belt because it is much easier on a stand than in the truck.

If you want a little more power, if you are pulling everything, now would be the time to do the 3.4 swap. The wiring is the biggest pain with that, but for the most part would drop right in otherwise and Should bolt up to the existing drivetrain.

The 4.3 is a decent little motor. Really popular 10 or so years ago, but haven't seen many of them go in recently. The 3.4 kinda stole that thinder I think. I honestly don't know much about the actual swap, but parts should be pretty easy to get. And I think the Chevy to toyota adapter is pretty easy to come by.

not looking v8 at all, that starts a snowball effect I just dont want to get in to.

Given I'm gonna have to spend the $$ on something I always assess best bang for buck, that's how I got trippple cases after all. So if the budget is 1000-2000 I'm likely going the extended cab parts truck route, always wanted the extended cab and this is the best opportunity I'll have so keep your eyes open for me.

Now, if repairing the existing damage is a 500+/- DIY job then that obviously changes the equation. Have also seen a few companies that advertise +/-30K mile engines for the $750 range w/ 30 day warranty which could also be an option, thoughts on this route?

If you have to go very far in, you will pass $500 pretty quick. The rebuild motor might not be a bad deal, but it will likely be a one and done. A lot of those rebuilders have a one size fits all approach on rebuilds, they go to the biggest bearing/ring they can on every rebuild, mainly so they dont have to look at them much, just slam them together and go. The motor itself is fine, but if it ever needs rings or bearings, it is a boat anchor cause there isn't any meat left for another rebuild.

I wouldn't go v8 either, no need. If that truck, or another similar, fits the bill, then I would just run it as is, pull the old engine out of the tater and crack it open and see what it needs. Send it out for machining and work on it a little at the time and get it rebuilt and ready. Then if the one lets go, just a quick swap with minimal down time. Then you should be good for the long run.

I've done some of the 3.4 swap reading and while on the surface it seems to be pretty straightforward, I kind of get the feeling you'd blow your budget pretty quick. To me one of the big draw backs of that swap is having to get the exhaust back to the drivers side and away from your front driveshaft/tcase output (maybe with the triple cases there would be room to route it back the passenger side?). It seems that most route under the transmission which would leave it pretty vulnerable knowing where you drive.

How much of the motor swap do you think you could pull off? Would you have to order a conversion wiring harness, can you do the exhaust work, could you handle the engine reassembly if you just had machine work done? It seems like one problem that you may have with swapping into your truck would be your upcoming moab trip. That seems like a big project to bite off with a somewhat limited schedule - I'd hate to be working bugs out after I'd spent the money/time getting my truck to UT.

With all of this said a 3.4L would be sweet!

Thanks Matt. Yeah so called this guy, name is Darryl and sounds like a good ole' boy fer sher. Claims he bought it as a parts truck, pulled the fuel pump and power steering pump neither of which I really care about except I'd love to hear it run if i get serious about this rig. Let's face it 350k is a lot of miles and from the looks of it there is a ton of rust.

anyway, located "30 mins north of Crossville, TN up hwy 127", anyone in that neck of the woods wanna put eyes on for me before I drive 3 hours?

in regards to the 3.4, agreed totally and cam to same conclusion. The mechanics of it bolt right up but the wiring becomes a little complicated. Power is not what I need so no motivation to get into another complicated modification, a reliable running rig will do the job just fine.

Last edited:
@htburnett is probably the closest. Sounds like that truck is up close to Jamestown. If I was going to be up that way in the next week or so I'd swing by, but dont have any plans of being over that way anytime soon.

I will keep an eye out. Also, not sure if he even still has it, but @jason in tn has/had a fully assembled 3.0 with fresh heads with OS SS valves that I built a few years ago that went with the 88 when he got it.

Also, full disclosure, I didnt look real hard at the pictures so didnt notice all that rust. Sorry about that

Last edited:
Yeah not far from me. Just the next town of buck tooth hillbillies up the mountain.

hmmm, what to do what to do... after discussing at length today with the fellers we decided we could probably rebuild the bottom end for less than 1K assuming nothing major is found the top end. Of course, that means taking out the motor and tearing it down before I really know.

Now, I've found this about an 1.5 hrs from the house, he was asking 2500, I got him down to 1900 minus the bumper so now I'm in a quandary. It's a Florida truck with 240K and a running 3.0. thinking I'm gonna send Tony over to look at it maybe.

27544866_2037326726285157_2961462753479603578_n.jpg

Well, if you want the extra wheelbase and a little extra room, then I would pull the trigger on the extended cab. Not that you want to, but you would basically be rebuilding the tater from the ground up. Suspension and such won't be too much, but you will be redoing the exo, drivelines, etc. Not necessarily a bad thing since you pretty much have a plan of attack, but it will mean the ole tater (new name should be curly fry or tater tot) will likely be down for a pretty good chunk of the year while the metamorphosis is taking place.

Guess the main question is, is the extra wheelbase worth the effort?

Hey Ted, Sorry to hear about your motor, but I owe you a big THANK YOU.
makes the bit of work and plans for my truck seem trivial, appreciate it.
:beer:

this oughta make you feel a little better as well. Don't know what the hell we're smilin about.:bang:

imagejpeg_0.jpg

So what was the verdict? Looks like rebuild the current 3.0 or swap in something else.

So what was the verdict? Looks like rebuild the current 3.0 or swap in something else.

No verdict yet, all options still on the table but I cannot sit until the correct opportunity presents itself. I figure I have about 1 more week until I have do something.

^ Well, that's probably one of the most expensive options. To much cheese for this rat.
:beer:

great idea but 9K, no sweat. Honey, where the petty cash box??? :flipoff2: that'd be an expensive $5K truck.

there are options out there, +/-$1K to rebuild mine, $800+ for a used motor, $1100-1500 for a rebuilt short block or $2k for a replacement truck. Figured I'd find out whats going on with current motor before I make any hard decisions but a rebuilt short block seems attractive.

Just got back from Colombia , all kinds of diesel engines there, chevy, toyota, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom