SAS SAS #6 Official Thread Aug 1 - 5 2022 (2 Viewers)

SAS #6 Colors for Shirts and Trail Flags

• • Capri Blue

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • • Sky Blue

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • • Pollux Orange

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • • Spring Green

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • • Yellow / Mustard

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • • Freeborn Red

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • • Rustic Green

Votes: 21 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Call me weird but knuckle rebuilds are my favorite job. I think it is because you go from nasty birf soup
birf soup.jpg

to nice and beautiful
measure.jpg
clean.jpg

This was the knuckle rebuild kit that Kurt (Cruiser Outfitters) donated. Zac and I won it at the SAS 5 raffle. Best knuckle kit I have ever used. Sad it went on a customers vehicle because we rebuilt both our Cruiser's knuckles before SAS.

Knuckle job isn’t bad (messy) can be done in a weekend. Might look to Zuk at Gearinstalls.com for the front locker. Sounds like that rig of yours will be built up for SAS.
Well it’s a 4,000 mile round trip at least, not something I do all the time, so want to finish as much of these build plans as I can and get the opportunity to really put everything through its paces.

Zuk’s website says he’s taking 2022 off from building diffs. I’ve got a well regarded shop here that swaps gears and installs lockers for all sorts of vehicles. They’ve done other good work on my cruiser and I’m willing to give them a shot for this job.

Well it’s a 4,000 mile round trip at least, not something I do all the time, so want to finish as much of these build plans as I can and get the opportunity to really put everything through its paces.

Zuk’s website says he’s taking 2022 off from building diffs. I’ve got a well regarded shop here that swaps gears and installs lockers for all sorts of vehicles. They’ve done other good work on my cruiser and I’m willing to give them a shot for this job.
Nice! If you run into any questions hit the group up here. Should be able to help out from a distance.

Sheesh I was considering taking the East TAT to Colorado myself, but might consider something thats not a 3 spd, carbureted w/ no PS. I'll need at least a 3month head start!

Stoked to be driving over from KY for our first time at the event and first time in Ouray. Planning to trailer a vehicle with the wife and two well experienced trail kids and a lab. The KOA seems to be taken so does anyone have a recommendation for accommodations nearby? (I've seen the Ouray Inn mentioned on Instagram as well and will reach out to them)

Found what might be one of the last Camping "Cabins" at the KOA - no bathroom/kitchen - which is whatever at the KOA. I had tried calling for a camping spot but kept getting on hold, gave up and then a week goes by and I guess I got what was left. Hopefully its only a few minutes walk to where the rest of the gang is hanging out.

Excited to get the bookings out of the way - guess the next question is which route to take from Montana! Going to be looking for a straight shot (unless there is good reason to make a pit-stop and stay somewhere for a night on the way down (SAS6 Cruiser Convoy anybody)?

Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 8.36.28 PM.png

Stoked to be driving over from KY for our first time at the event and first time in Ouray. Planning to trailer a vehicle with the wife and two well experienced trail kids and a lab. The KOA seems to be taken so does anyone have a recommendation for accommodations nearby? (I've seen the Ouray Inn mentioned on Instagram as well and will reach out to them)
Call me , we are about to release 3 awesome sites at 4J’s in Ouray during the timespan of the event . Direct Message me for

Call me , we are about to release 3 awesome sites at 4J’s in Ouray during the timespan of the event . Direct Message me for
Anything left? @Kleatus or anyone else still looking for a tent spot? We don't have anything yet....

Casey's point above will take care of most all concerns that anyone may have regarding an inspection.
I think this sort of thing tends to happen organically to an extent; folks watching out for those with less experience or some issue that they've brought up. I would encourage anyone and everyone to bring up any issues you may experience as soon as they're discovered, no matter how small. That little shimmy, that burning plastic smell, that weird feeling in the brake pedal... any of them can be indicative of some serious issue that someome with more experience or who isn't stressing out about it may recognize as something they or the group can help you address. There is no shame in asking for help or a 2nd set of eyes, ever. Most everyone loves checking out other rigs anyway.

I'm not sure how an official tech inspection would work, this isn't an official event where there is a defined process for such. To me that brings up questions such as:
  • Who administers it
  • What are their qualifications
  • To what standards/specifications is the inspection performed
  • Who is responsible for the results of said inspection
  • Do we reinspect deficiencies found
  • Do we need to document them, and how
  • How do we manage what rigs have been inspected and when (arrivals mid-trail from the other side of the mountain, etc.)
  • Does this inspection have any legal significance once performed, and to whom, and would this deter people from performing such inspections
  • Etc. Etc.
I'm more than happy to help anyone with anything or be a 2nd set of eyes, but I would have some concerns about trying to implement a legit inspection, given the goals and status of this gathering. I'd rather not support a push to make this event something it's not.

Get your truck in good shape, ask for help, don't be a dummie and take something on the trail (or road) that doesn't belong there, and let's have fun in the mountains with our old rigs and each other.

I think this sort of thing tends to happen organically to an extent; folks watching out for those with less experience or some issue that they've brought up. I would encourage anyone and everyone to bring up any issues you may experience as soon as they're discovered, no matter how small. That little shimmy, that burning plastic smell, that weird feeling in the brake pedal... any of them can be indicative of some serious issue that someome with more experience or who isn't stressing out about it may recognize as something they or the group can help you address. There is no shame in asking for help or a 2nd set of eyes, ever. Most everyone loves checking out other rigs anyway.

I'm not sure how an official tech inspection would work, this isn't an official event where there is a defined process for such. To me that brings up questions such as:
  • Who administers it
  • What are their qualifications
  • To what standards/specifications is the inspection performed
  • Who is responsible for the results of said inspection
  • Do we reinspect deficiencies found
  • Do we need to document them, and how
  • How do we manage what rigs have been inspected and when (arrivals mid-trail from the other side of the mountain, etc.)
  • Does this inspection have any legal significance once performed, and to whom, and would this deter people from performing such inspections
  • Etc. Etc.
I'm more than happy to help anyone with anything or be a 2nd set of eyes, but I would have some concerns about trying to implement a legit inspection, given the goals and status of this gathering. I'd rather not support a push to make this event something it's not.

Get your truck in good shape, ask for help, don't be a dummie and take something on the trail (or road) that doesn't belong there, and let's have fun in the mountains with our old rigs and each other.

Couldn't have said it any better Klaus. I've said it many times about this group of folks and it holds true annually.
The KOA in Ouray will have some of the most experienced Cruiser people on hand for in person guidance. This is about taking care of each other as a community and I feel confident that we can tackle nearly anything that is thrown our way.
I would still do a good pre-flight inspection starting asap. August will be here before you know it. :clap::wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench: :beer:

Found what might be one of the last Camping "Cabins" at the KOA - no bathroom/kitchen - which is whatever at the KOA. I had tried calling for a camping spot but kept getting on hold, gave up and then a week goes by and I guess I got what was left. Hopefully its only a few minutes walk to where the rest of the gang is hanging out.

Excited to get the bookings out of the way - guess the next question is which route to take from Montana! Going to be looking for a straight shot (unless there is good reason to make a pit-stop and stay somewhere for a night on the way down (SAS6 Cruiser Convoy anybody)?

View attachment 2909060
I am In Fort Collins and have extra room if you need to stop for the night. Also have a shop if needed. Me and @mcguirejohnson will be convoying down.

Ok on a very serious note..... Team Mustard. I need a variety of shirt colors because variety is the spice of life. Some of yall only got salt and pepper in the cabinet.

SAS4..... GREEN

Screenshot_20220201-082342_Samsung Internet.jpg

SAS 5.... BLUE

Screenshot_20220201-081817_Samsung Internet.jpg

SAS 6 we are back to green again. Mustard is great on most foods. You won't have to worry about the stain from your brat if you vote MUSTARD. Do it for the ribs, hotdogs, burgers and 40s!

Last edited:
I agree with the need for variety, and to the reason as well (subtopic - why were there so many variants of green for the 40?). Need three people to jump from
rustic green to red, or 6 new voters, and we get our variety.

What about the orange… in between the red and yellow? I don’t wear red or yellow, lol but could possibly do orange. 🤨🤣🤓

I agree with the need for variety, and to the reason as well (subtopic - why were there so many variants of green for the 40?). Need three people to jump from
rustic green to red, or 6 new voters, and we get our variety.
Ok on a very serious note..... Team Mustard. I need a variety of shirt colors because variety is the spice of life. Some of yall only got salt and pepper in the cabinet.

SAS4..... GREEN

SAS 5.... BLUE

SAS 6 we are back to green again. Mustard is great on most foods. You won't have to worry about the stain from your brat if you vote MUSTARD. Do it for the ribs, hotdogs, burgers and 40s!

I agree with both! Mustard or Freeborn... we might need to combine forces..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom