Sark's HZJ73 Adventures

Content may include affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Day 2, Part 6:

@LDowney
IMG_9536.JPG
IMG_9537.JPG

And while we're posting updates, I got my project FJ60 to run and idle last night, after rebuilding the carb. Felt so good to hear it finally idle, after spending a lot of time and energy figuring out what needed to be cleaned or fixed. I did a victory lap around the yard, but took no pics... sorry.

So you are a week into the new job(s), look like you are going to be happy?

So I need a new radiator...

I've been following an older post by @OGBeno to order a manual transmission radiator, instead of the automatic transmission radiator. Reason being the auto is NLA, but the manual version is not, and apparently the radiator assembly itself is the same. The difference, from what I saw, was that the manual does not include the cooler or cooler parts like the hoses, etc.

Automatic transmission radiator: 16400-17160 - again, NLA
Manual transmission radiator: 16400-17080

I ordered the manual version from Toyota, and twice now it has shown up with damaged fins. Are bent fins acceptable? Parts guy said the guys packaging/transporting these don't care, so do I accept the bent fins? Or are there other options (aftermarket)?

Can the dents in the fins be readily combed out with a fin comb? (i.e., the dents are effectively cosmetic with some TLC) Then be happy to have sourced a new radiator and press on. If not, the accept-reject discussion might be a lot more complicated.

Good luck. Pulling for an easy win for you

Can the dents in the fins be readily combed out with a fin comb? (i.e., the dents are effectively cosmetic with some TLC) Then be happy to have sourced a new radiator and press on. If not, the accept-reject discussion might be a lot more complicated.

Good luck. Pulling for an easy win for you
Fin comb… there’s an idea. Thanks, going to check on the damage today at lunch.

Radiator was acceptable, so I kept it, but I decided not to replace it at this time because the leak isn't really that bad and I still need to figure out the replacement for the transmission oil cooler.

The 73 is hibernating for now, playing "the floor is lava" with the New England salty roads. In the meantime, I wanted to make a maintenance spreadsheet to keep track of stuff. I made a template that's shareable, currently goes up to 360k miles, but can be expanded. Feel free to save a copy for your own use. Keep in mind it is specific to the 1HZ, and does not include manual transmission maintenance, since I have the A440. Easy add-on though if you need to.

Google drive

FJBen

SILVER Star
Radiator was acceptable, so I kept it, but I decided not to replace it at this time because the leak isn't really that bad and I still need to figure out the replacement for the transmission oil cooler.

The 73 is hibernating for now, playing "the floor is lava" with the New England salty roads. In the meantime, I wanted to make a maintenance spreadsheet to keep track of stuff. I made a template that's shareable, currently goes up to 360k miles, but can be expanded. Feel free to save a copy for your own use. Keep in mind it is specific to the 1HZ, and does not include manual transmission maintenance, since I have the A440. Easy add-on though if you need to.

Google drive

God salted your roads as punishment for your cheating football team.

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom