For Sale Sarasota, Fl (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Mileage
Color
Silver
Outside Link
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3255718008000838/
Not mine. 11k

What do you guys think. Worth a look? It’s in my city.

Looks nice, low miles. What are your ultimate goals? Are you familiar with the differences between 91-92, 93-94, and 95-97? Not all 80s are the same. To each their own, but wouldn’t want you to spend $11000 on a 30-year old rig and then come back and realize maybe you would rather have full float axles, bigger brakes, different engine, OBD2, etc of the later models.

Looks nice, low miles. What are your ultimate goals? Are you familiar with the differences between 91-92, 93-94, and 95-97? Not all 80s are the same. To each their own, but wouldn’t want you to spend $11000 on a 30-year old rig and then come back and realize maybe you would rather have full float axles, bigger brakes, different engine, OBD2, etc of the later models.
Primarily will be using it to commute to work about 10 miles each way Monday thru Fri. I’m about 300 miles from the Florida keys and would be using it to travel to there 3-4 times a year and back for fishing trips. I need strong A/C living in south Florida. And I know this might sound bad but like most of us I also want it to look cool. Lift possibly with some decent looking wheels and tires and front/rear bumpers. Most important is reliability though. Maybe a trip once a year to my fathers place in the adirondacks.

Do you have a backup car for a DD? Keeping a 30 yo vehicle on the road takes some doing, esp now that parts of the 3FE are getting harder to find. So while it can be reliable, if that is your #1 priority I would honestly look for something newer. The newest you can afford is the general maxim. I bet you could find a 100 series/lx470 for that price or just a little bit more and the ac is supposed to be way better. But gas mileage is going to take a toll with that commute. Have you considered any other vehicles that get better gas mileage? Do you even need it to be 4-wheel drive?

Hard pass.

Among other reasons, odometer doesn't match description. The person thinks that "its a collector's dream" but it's really nothing special - delusional seller.

Do you have a backup car for a DD? Keeping a 30 yo vehicle on the road takes some doing, esp now that parts of the 3FE are getting harder to find. So while it can be reliable, if that is your #1 priority I would honestly look for something newer. The newest you can afford is the general maxim. I bet you could find a 100 series/lx470 for that price or just a little bit more and the ac is supposed to be way better. But gas mileage is going to take a toll with that commute. Have you considered any other vehicles that get better gas mileage? Do you even need it to be 4-wheel drive?
I have a 2017 5speed manual tacoma 4x4 that I drive daily. I plan on keeping it until the LC that I purchase is dialed in. I’d rather have 4wd than not since my father lives in upstate ny and I’ll be taking trips to see him
2F6CB6A8-A6D2-49B4-8EDF-66FA0ED7D06E.jpeg

Seems to me that you already have the perfect vehicle. I get wanting to scratch the 80 itch but if I were you I would buy the 80 only as a secondary vehicle and not replace your primary. If you go look at it you should be very critical of it and be sensitive to any uneasy feelings you may have.

My .02

Getting rid of the Tacoma for a 91 FJ80 would be a big mistake. You will spend some time and good $ getting that 80 series dialed in....I can guarantee the owner hasn't done anything to it....so it needs everything. Then there's the 3FE in an full time 4WD automatic equipped truck. Ever driven something really slow? Just imagine something slower :) That Tacoma will feel like an exotic sportscar compared to it. Also, get ready to enjoy all 10 of those miles you'll get on each gallon of $5 gas.

With all that said, I just bought one of these 91 FJ80s.....paid a lot less and my truck was a lot cleaner(bought it in January in Largo, FL). Needs everything.....leaks EVERY fluid...but it's unmolested and very very clean/straight. It's going to get a manual conversion if a diesel doesn't find it's way in. With the manual, it should be a fun truck(we build a lot of 40s with 3FE swaps and manuals....3FE and a manual is a really nice combo). I've owned other 91s....they are really not much fun....the auto kills them. So does the 10mpgs(and I don't really care about MPGs....6 mile commute which is the bulk of my driving).

I've got a 97...it's a WAY more useable truck. That truck would do what you want it to....but it would take some work to get it in shape unless you buy one that is dialed in. That truck will keep up with traffic and is very comfortable......still doesn't like to miss many gas stations though. The 97 is a really nice truck and I think you'll find that same sentiment among a lot of owners. A 97 could be a daily and a primary vehicle once baselined.....and would be a great truck to head up to NY with.

Lowball the people selling the 80 as a toy/2nd truck to play around with....keep that Tacoma as the daily.....you'll be in a lot better shape :)

My .02

Getting rid of the Tacoma for a 91 FJ80 would be a big mistake. You will spend some time and good $ getting that 80 series dialed in....I can guarantee the owner hasn't done anything to it....so it needs everything. Then there's the 3FE in an full time 4WD automatic equipped truck. Ever driven something really slow? Just imagine something slower :) That Tacoma will feel like an exotic sportscar compared to it. Also, get ready to enjoy all 10 of those miles you'll get on each gallon of $5 gas.

With all that said, I just bought one of these 91 FJ80s.....paid a lot less and my truck was a lot cleaner(bought it in January in Largo, FL). Needs everything.....leaks EVERY fluid...but it's unmolested and very very clean/straight. It's going to get a manual conversion if a diesel doesn't find it's way in. With the manual, it should be a fun truck(we build a lot of 40s with 3FE swaps and manuals....3FE and a manual is a really nice combo). I've owned other 91s....they are really not much fun....the auto kills them. So does the 10mpgs(and I don't really care about MPGs....6 mile commute which is the bulk of my driving).

I've got a 97...it's a WAY more useable truck. That truck would do what you want it to....but it would take some work to get it in shape unless you buy one that is dialed in. That truck will keep up with traffic and is very comfortable......still doesn't like to miss many gas stations though. The 97 is a really nice truck and I think you'll find that same sentiment among a lot of owners. A 97 could be a daily and a primary vehicle once baselined.....and would be a great truck to head up to NY with.

Lowball the people selling the 80 as a toy/2nd truck to play around with....keep that Tacoma as the daily.....you'll be in a lot better shape :)
Thanks man! Awesome response to my questions. Really appreciate that. As well as the other responses I’ve received. You’re right. Keeping my Tacoma is a good idea I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom