Events/Trails Santa Fe Fall Day Trip - Sunday Oct 20th - 11 AM Meeting Time (1 Viewer)

Attendance Poll for Santa Fe Day Run

• Yes - will be attending

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Maybe - I will let you know

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No - I will not be attending

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
UPDATED 10/8/2019

Lets do a simple drive through the beautiful Santa Fe area on Sunday Oct 20th. Maybe we can catch some of the fall colors.

Meeting Place: Hyde Memorial State Park
Meeting Time: 11 am
Duration - 1+ hour
Difficulty - Easy
Communication: HAM 146.400

We will head up out of Santa Fe on 475 towards Ski Santa Fe. Lets meet at Hyde Memorial State Park at the parking lot by the check in/lodge ski rental cabin. We will proceed up 475 and turn off on Federal Road 102 that runs towards Chupadero . If memory serves me, I believe this road is an improved gravel road and should be very easy for even cars. May not even air down. This is a very mellow Sunday drive - family, dog, grandma friendly.

Because this is a short 1 hour drive, we are now thinking we might have lunch at the small restaurant at the end of the trail. For those that want to prolong the day, perhaps a visit to Santa Fe old town could be folded into the afternoon.

Post up if you want to join us!

Poupon!

Last edited:
I will be there and my wife Leora says that even she will go on this ride! Looking forward to it!

Stephen

Hey Guys...new to the site trying to find some other enthusiasts to link up with for some trial riding. Might be game to tag along.....

Hey Guys...new to the site trying to find some other enthusiasts to link up with for some trial riding. Might be game to tag along.....
Welcome! If you have not been invited yet, certainly come to the breakfast on the 19th!

I'd like to make it as well, put it in the calendar. Also, Bandalier state park is in the area that might be worth checking out. Jatone and I were discussing that possibility with our kids.

If I am in town, we will make this ride. Thanks for posting it up.

I'd like to make it as well, put it in the calendar. Also, Bandalier state park is in the area that might be worth checking out. Jatone and I were discussing that possibility with our kids.
It's a National Monument and it's not really in the area other than it's kind of near Santa Fe, but you have to drive over to Los Alamos so more of a long detour.

It's a National Monument and it's not really in the area other than it's kind of near Santa Fe, but you have to drive over to Los Alamos so more of a long detour.

ahhh, good point. Thanks!

Bandelier is still worth visiting but would better as part of a loop through the Jemez.

Update - Frank drove 102 between 476 and Tesuque the other day. He said it took him about 1 hour to drive and there weren't too many placed to pull off and have a picnic. There were some pull offs, but not so conducive to a larger group of trucks. He indicated that there was a restaurant around Tesuque where we could have lunch after the hour drive.

Does anybody know this area? Perhaps there are some other trails we could spur off of to make it a bit longer of a run???

What do you guys think?

@Dizzy knows the area pretty well and may have some suggestions.

The short fork @Dizzy mentioned (Aspen Ranch / Upper Rio en Medio Trailhead) is the only remotely challenging part of the trail. However, it does lead to a trailhead parking area that could probably accommodate 10 or so vehicles. Even parking along the roadside near the trailhead should not be a problem since this is a dead-end spur and not heavily trafficked.

I'd love to join you for this ride, but am planning on at least one more camping trip that weekend before it gets too cold!

trailheadParking.JPG

It was nice meeting folks this morning at breakfast, we'll see you tomorrow.

PING.....

Had a good turnout for the breakfast this morning. Seems like we may have a few trucks join us for this "Sunday drive". We have all agreed to meet at 11 am at Hyde State Park - see link above for google maps. We will head out shortely afterwards. Not sure if there is cell phone up there, but I will also be monitoring my HAM.

Again, since this is a relatively short drive, we will not be doing a group picnic on this one. Rather, probably stop at this cool little restaurant have have lunch.

See you all at 11 am.

worthless_thread_wo_pics.gif

yeah, what ^ he said

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom