Sand for sand blasting? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do you guys have any sources for sand that is good quality for blasting? The stuff that I have tried from Home Depot and Fred Meyers sucks, it's to chunky and plugs up my gun. Any suggestions? I think I need some beach sand!

For my blast cabinet, I used Pool Filter Sand. If you are doing a whole lot where you can't recover it, you might want something cheaper. It was about $6 a bag and my cabinet would hold 4 bags.

Ed

I went to home depot and got their sandblasting sand. Works good for me.

sand = silicosis = bad stuff.

Look up sand blasting in the Yellow Pages and find for a supplier of blasting media. Here is B'ham it's FS Supply. Not sure if it's a local/national chain. They have a product called Black Beauty which works well and doesn't have the health implications of silica. Plus it's dry and of uniform particle size so it doesn't clog.

Oh yea, like many, this topic was covererd to death months ago. The general consensus was blasting is a PIA and requires not only the facilities to do it but one hellofa compressor and is money well spent paying someone else to do. BTDT. After pissing off all my neighbors, making a royal fauking mess around my house and killing my cheepo compressor I sold my blaster & unused bags of Black Beauty for a token. I would have given it away. Good luck.

I purchase uniform-size sand from Home Depot and it's always been dry & lump free. In 20 plus bags, I've never had a problem in my Harbor Freight blaster. Maybe your HD left the pallet outside and it got wet and clumped. I was going to get the expensive good stuff (like crushed walnet shells, etc), but I don't use a cabinet, so it all ends up on the ground. I wear a mask so as to not inhale it!

Maybe try a different store ...

uhmmmmm...blasting with sand...

I am doing it both ways.......

when i have parts to blast, I go to a place i have access with a blast cabinet and real media for blasting. normally, blasting media is made from silicon carbide or aluminum oxide. these are hard material that will last a lot longer than sand.

Sand explode when blasted and the silica dust gets in your lungs and stays there. its fawks you up for life. crap like this in your system is like going to the
grocery store......fun to shop to buy everything...but when you check out...you'r done!

when i blast with the cabinet, i have a hard time getting close to important surface without damaging them. for example, i always stay far from blasting area that have been machine. the gun in the cabinet is big and difficult to control with precision. So, i stay away from these area and clean it up with my small blasting gun ( with sand) at home. only a short run is necessary to complete the blasting.

here is ny advice. If you are gonig to blast parts often. invest in a big ass compressor, cabinet and some real media...safeer, faster and does a better job. you can buy the media in industrial supplier for company that works with metal...polisher, machining, etc. and from industiral glass supliers. the media is also use the grind and polish glass as whel as metal.

you can also rent some cabinet form some place. Sometime company are charging by the hour for you to use there cabinet.

if only doing short run of blasting or cleanning some important area ( machine surface on the part), a small compressor and kit is enough.....5 hp 20 gal comp at the minimum.....be sure to whear full mask and google for it. with this set up, i never blast for more then 15-20 minutes( not in continuous). give the compressor time to built pressure when he starts

when I have bir parts to blast ( frame, axels, doors, panel etc). I am more then happy to pay someone to do it.....cheaper then buying a new portable compressure because if you blast big parts with a small set-up, the question is not if you are gonig the burn you comp.........but when!

happy blasting.

It's called a resporator!!! Be smart.

i think my enghlish is good enough....j'aurais toujours pu écrire en francais mais vous auriez rien compris........by now i think you can understand my first and native language is french...yes i am a froggie and proud to be

Morse_FJ40 said:
It's called a resporator!!! Be smart.

oh, a respirator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom