Sand blasting or acid dip and ecoat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Would like some opinions Restoring my 60. Trying to decide if I want to get the body acid dipped then dipped in ecoat or just get it blasted and treat the rust the conventional way. I just don't want the rust to come back. I think acid dipping will be best cus it can get in-between the layers and get it to raw metal. But will the ecoat be able to get to all the bear metal? I'm afraid it won't and there will be exposed metal after ecoat and it will rust down the road. What do yall think?

Pics

FB_IMG_1634185506627.jpg

FB_IMG_1634185491680.jpg

20211013_214513.jpg

You mean you would remove and strip the entire body and dip it in an acid bath? That body seems to have some serious rust problems, is it worth it? If it was me I would blast it, repair the rust, then thoroughly de-grease any body seams with POR15 degreaser while removing as much rust as you can. Rinse with clean water and allow to thoroughly dry in the baking sun for a few weeks. Then use thinned rust converting paint like Eastwood, which will seep into the seams by capillary action. Then paint over. From the inside of the vehicle I would spray with linseed oil (not Fluid Film since it stinks) which will prevent rust from starting from the inside. It will seep into the seams from the inside. Then your seams will be protected from the outside by rust converter paint, and from the inside by rust inhibiting oils.

This is what I just did to my roof gutters. I put rust converter paint down, then caulked them shut and painted over that. Let it sit out in the weather for a year to make sure the rust wasn't coming back, then yesterday I went around the perimeter inside the roof (with headliner off) and sprayed linseed oil into the crevice to prevent rust from ever starting again from the inside. I will be surprised if any rust shows up again there in 10 years.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t try to prep and coat the metal to try to last a lifetime. You’ll probably get bored of the cruiser within the decade and want sell it

Acid dipping will remove thickness from your entire vehicle...great for race cars that are basically held together with a full internal roll cage...not so good for everything else.

Sandblasting is a messy way to go and I'd never blast another car myself again. Sand is also very aggressive and can take forever to get out of all the pockets and voids inside a car body.

Look into having the shell blasted with one of the far less aggressive medias...that will just remove the paint.

Reactions: OSS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom