Sand blast... do or don't (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was thinking to droping off the front bib to get sand blasted (it not rusted, just has a second coat of paint on front) before sending it to the painter.

Is this not adviseable? I have read that Sand Blasting can warp thin metal. Is there a better way to remove the old paint or should I let the painter deal with it?

TIA!

It depends on if it has rust pitts on the surface you need to get rid of them, even treated rust can reappear later, a good sandblaster can remove all the pits then a good sealer epoxy primer can greatly reduce the problem, you can also sand down to bare metal and do just as well, however the seams will always have some residual rust that will need to be treated, Larry

Check with whomever's doing the sandblasting to make sure they've had some experience with body panels first. IMO sandblasting or dipping is the only way to go when it comes to rust repair because it ensures the surface is entirely free from rust. Whatever you don't get clean will come back to haunt you.

Whatever you do - have someone else do the blasting for you, that job sucks for sure.

I had the whole truck sandblasted. The bid is not going to warp. No big flat areas. In fact, i had no warpage problems at all. The poblem you will have is getting all of the sand out of every little crevass. You can do everything to get it out, then the little pressure of the paint spray gun stirs it up enough to get sand in the paint. :mad:

Where can you get "dip stripped" and phosphated in Texas? Either in East Texas or near Dallas? thanks,
Stuart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom