SAND BAGS for portable CANOPY or TENT suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
anyone got any suggestions for these or for what would be things to consider for getting some sand bags for portable canopies or tents?

right now i just have a $10 used deal i bought at the pawn shop but i expect to do some more beach camping soon. i might even buy some kind of military tent to compliment the two person tent or something.
i really like to buy something right and do it once.

THANKS

saw these today which is why i am asking:
Amazon product ASIN B00NN5LRVK

When I camp at the beach, I use grocery bags (the re-usable ones work well but regular recycleable ones work too.), fill them with sand, tie tent lines to the bag handles, and the bury them. Has worked well for me for years.

What about the "baby" husky tool bags from HD? They'd weigh a decent amount when full and are sometimes on sale for 5 bucks, and reasonably durable, and quick to fill/empty due to big zippered opening.

anyone got any suggestions for these or for what would be things to consider for getting some sand bags for portable canopies or tents?

right now i just have a $10 used deal i bought at the pawn shop but i expect to do some more beach camping soon. i might even buy some kind of military tent to compliment the two person tent or something.
i really like to buy something right and do it once.

THANKS

saw these today which is why i am asking:
Amazon product ASIN B00NN5LRVK

Those came with a branded canopy we bought for work

They rip easily when snagged just a little and the hole keeps running away and getting larger and larger , it’s not a rip stop woven material , it unravels . I would stay away from these

I have access to heavy woven cash/coin bags , the canvas type leather handle type they are what I use now.

36B641D8-11A0-464E-8554-19DD8C385911.jpeg

Last edited:
I was on PINS today and used Aluminum Military V stakes to hold my tarp in the wind. Packed sand is not much of a problem. Will you be camping on loose sand? Have you seen the MSR tough stakes? I was considering those but tried these V stakes today and they did pretty good.

Photographers use a ton of sand bags to weigh down stands, tripods, etc. Photo gear is usually the furthest thing away from cheap, but I have a couple that were pretty reasonable. eBay, etc.

Fave so far is the jeans idea. Grab a couple pairs from the thrift store if you don't have any ready for cutting.

What about the "baby" husky tool bags from HD? They'd weigh a decent amount when full and are sometimes on sale for 5 bucks, and reasonably durable, and quick to fill/empty due to big zippered opening.
I was on PINS today and used Aluminum Military V stakes to hold my tarp in the wind. Packed sand is not much of a problem. Will you be camping on loose sand? Have you seen the MSR tough stakes? I was considering those but tried these V stakes today and they did pretty good.

i have msr stakes from my tent. but they are too big to fit into the little holes in the base. this is sort of why the velcro wrap ones i posted looked interesting. but maybe a better way to do it?
lots of good help on this thread!
can i “tie in” to the little cotter pin that goes through these uprights? or maybe fabricate something more substantial for the little plastic “feet”?
i started eyeballing old bowling ball bags at goodwill today!

C406A9F3-CE55-45B4-B878-BE8CA2AC9FBC.jpeg

Ah, those feet. yeah, those holes are only about 1/4" aren't they. Has anyone tried the "corkscrew" dog leash stakes in sand? 4 of those, then just tie the legs to the stakes? More gear to carry though... It looks like there is enough material there to drill a bigger hole in the foot.
@wfd175 those old cash bags are cool. Thoughts about using as a tool bag? (slight thread hijack);)

Those came with a branded canopy we bought for work

They rip easily when snagged just a little and the hole keeps running away and getting larger and larger , it’s not a rip stop woven material , it unravels . I would stay away from these

I have access to heavy woven cash/coin bags , the canvas type leather handle type they are what I use now.

View attachment 2323714

so heavy (canvas?) woven cash/coin bags is what you are thinking?

and what is it that you have there? leather handled canvas cash/coin bags? those look pricey. beautiful but pricey?

I prefer 2.5 gallon buckets. They can be stacked to take up less space while traveling. The big advantage is the ability to use sand water or rocks once on site so you don't have to move a bunch of weight around until needed.
Cheers,
Scot

I use gallon milk or water jugs. Cut from the hole down about half way and then towards the front leaving the handle intact. You fill with sand and bury the jug leaving the handle out of the sand.

This last weekend, I camped at Mono Craters, south of Mono Lake. The soil is very sandy. It's volcanic ash so not beach sand, a little coarser but still difficult to keep a tent peg in. It was very windy, so windy that I discovered it had bent my tent poles (though still usable). I ran out of sand bags. I improvised by tying the guide lines to some big jeffrey pine cones and buried them in the sand. Thse cones are big, 8 inches long and about 5 inches diameter. The fresher ones work better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom