San Juan National Forest is closed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NMBruce

SILVER Star
Threads
I hope that doesn't impact Ali's Ouray weekend.

I hope that doesn't impact Ali's Ouray weekend.

I would just take the extra time and go around to Telluride. Last Thursday a friend check with CDot passing through Ridgeway, HWY550 was open and he got to Purgitory and it was closed, had to back track and go all the way around

Yeah, go to Telluride and then take Ophir over to 550. I wonder if that would actually be faster than just going around to Ridgeway and back down to Ouray though.

Yeah, go to Telluride and then take Ophir over to 550. I wonder if that would actually be faster than just going around to Ridgeway and back down to Ouray though.

Ophir is closed, it is in the San Juan forest

Shoot. I thought it was far enough north to be in Uncomphagre.

Dang it. If the SJNF stays closed it's going to cut off 1/2 the planned trails for the Hundreds In The Hills event we're attending 7/12 - 7/17.

Chance of a Baja hurricane pushing up some moisture this weekend.

Last edited:
I was just up at Vallecitos Lake this past weekend; went to Silverton on Sunday once 550 opened. Apparently the forest is closed, BUT the Alpine Loop is open for driving, just no camping.

I was just up at Vallecitos Lake this past weekend; went to Silverton on Sunday once 550 opened. Apparently the forest is closed, BUT the Alpine Loop is open for driving, just no camping.

Thanks, I missed this from last Thursday, update, the Uncompahger National Forest is now in Stage 2. for those that dont know, this is the forest around Telluride, Ouray and Silverton. As far as I know the trails are still open, but more restrictions apply. Camping should still be allowed, just no fires, charcoal grills of any kind, smoking and more, unless special restriction are in effect
Grand Mesa Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests - Home

News outlets say that the San Juan is going back to Stage 2

News outlets say that the San Juan is going back to Stage 2
I was wondering; on Monday as we were leaving the large highway signs said "stage 2"; I wasn't sure if that was correct or not. Colorado users must be a little bit more mindful of the fire restrictions than those down here in NM (84 unattended campfires over Memorial day weekend while in stage 2 in the Jemez alone). They're talking a week of good rain before we will go back to stage 2.

I was wondering; on Monday as we were leaving the large highway signs said "stage 2"; I wasn't sure if that was correct or not. Colorado users must be a little bit more mindful of the fire restrictions than those down here in NM (84 unattended campfires over Memorial day weekend while in stage 2 in the Jemez alone). They're talking a week of good rain before we will go back to stage 2.

How can people be so stupid. Should anyone who leaves an unattended campfire get caught, they should have to go out and fight the next fire

Last edited:
We’ll be headed back to the Alpine Loop this year, likely starting in Lake City. It looks like most, if not all, of the loop is outside of San Juan National Forest, correct? Also, if I remember correctly, there are dispersed camping spots off some of the passes. Anyone have experience or thoughts on those? We'll probably meander towards Alta Lakes eventually, but I'd be grateful to any/all camping suggestions (where we could still have a fire). Thanks.

We’ll be headed back to the Alpine Loop this year, likely starting in Lake City. It looks like most, if not all, of the loop is outside of San Juan National Forest, correct? Also, if I remember correctly, there are dispersed camping spots off some of the passes. Anyone have experience or thoughts on those? We'll probably meander towards Alta Lakes eventually, but I'd be grateful to any/all camping suggestions (where we could still have a fire). Thanks.

When are you planning on heading out? Monsoons are supposed to be starting this week, so hopefully the restrictions will be lifted soon. I'm doing it the 19-22nd of this month, so I should be able to give you more beta after that. What I do know, is dispersed camping is allowed; however, anything above treeline is fragile and is not supposed to be driven on. I've camped on it before, but because it takes so long to regrow, parking on anything other than dirt can result in fines; this is a bit limiting, but you can find a spot lower in the trees around most passes.

As far as fires are concerned San Juan NF, Uncompaghre, and Gunnison are all in stage 2 restirctions (no campfires, only gas stoves/grills that have an off switch are allowed), no firearms, no smoking allowed. While much of the route is BLM, but they are all following the NF's cue and in stage 2 fire restrictions as well.

I'll update this after my trip or as I get news.

If you're up there the 13th - 16th, there will be an extra 100 or so 100-series cruisers to contend with (on top of the thousands of Jeeps and UTVs) Those are the dates for the Hundreds In The Hills event that I am participating in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom